This zesty lemon Quinoa Chickpea Salad is so refreshing and great for potlucks, BBQs, picnics and more. Its bursting with flavors and is packed with protein and colorful fresh vegetables.
Recently, I have been working with lemons quit a bit and so you must have seen my lemon tahini dressing and vegan lemon cake. So, to continue with my obsession with lemons, I decided to stir this lemon dressing for my best ever quinoa salad.
Its so soothing and satisfying and packed with delicious flavors. I made extra batch to have leftovers the next day. In fact, it helps me in weekly meal plans as well. I made it in bulk and refrigerated to stay in track of healthy eating all through the week.
Easy quinoa chickpea salad
Its quick and comes together in about 30 minutes. It’s healthy and nutritious. This salad is protein rich and packed with fiber along with being full of complex carbohydrates. At the same its flavorful and so satisfying and keeps you full for longer.
Health benefits of quinoa
Quinoa as we all know is rich in fiber and is a complete protein. It’s the best combination of complex carbohydrates and so its is a superfood. It aids in weight loss and is a healthy substitute to rice. Along with being a rich source of antioxidants its also heart healthy.
Health benefits of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
It’s a great vegan protein source thereby promoting weight management. It helps in controlling blood sugar and boost mental health also. Overall, it’s a nutritious and versatile ingredient.
Ingredients for healthy quinoa chickpea salad
Frozen sweet corn kernels
Red and yellow bell peppers
What I like about salads are that they are so versatile and gives an opportunity to be creative. However, I made this quinoa chickpea salad recipe in the simplest way possible. It turned out so good that even my kids loved them as a meal.
Quinoa – I used regular quinoa but feel free to mix red and yellow quinoa to make it more beautiful and attractive.
Chickpeas – also known as garbanzo beans. I used canned ones for convenience and tasted so good.
Vegetables – I used specific ones as per my family’s taste but feel to add few more of your choices or substitute any if desired.
Parsley – I used flat fresh parsley leaves for the best taste and aroma.
Lemons – large yellow lemons work excellent here especially the zest part.
Oregano – I used dried oregano in the dressing and it works like a miracle in flavoring.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Quinoa Chickpea Salad
Step 1: preparing quinoa
Firstly, in a saucepan, I brought the water to a boil and stirred in rinsed quinoa. Then, I let it cook at high until half of the liquid was absorbed.
Secondly, I added salt and garlic powder into it and lowered the flame. Then, I cooked it covered until all the liquid was absorbed.
Next, I turned it off and removed the lid. Then, with the help of a fork, I fluffed it and let it cool.
Step 2: preparing for the dressing
In this step, I grated the skin of fresh lemon and then squeezed the same in the bowl.
Next, I added salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder to it and stirred it well.
Finally, I kept it aside too.
Step 3: assembling
Firstly, in a mixing bowl, I combine cooked quinoa along with drained chickpeas and all the chopped vegetables.
Secondly, I tossed in chopped parsley.
Thereafter, I drizzled the dressing over it.
Lastly, I tossed it and served it.
We devoured it for lunch and have added to my meal plans every other week.
What to serve with vegan quinoa chickpea salad
How to prepare ahead of time and storing
Its easy to prepare for this salad ahead of time. You may cook quinoa and refrigerate in an air tight container for about 4-5 days. I usually make the lemon dressing and recreate for 2-3 days in a glass bowl. When ready you may simply assemble all the ingredients and serve. The leftover salad can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about 1 week.
- It is important to cool down quinoa before tossing it with all the other ingredients.
- Lemon is citrus and it reacts with steel. So, make sure to make the dressing in a glass or a plastic container.
I personally like it more when at room temperature. However, cold is fine too.
I have tested it and I liked refrigerating it better and this gave me an option to make it fresh frequently.
Yes! It’s a nutritious salad rich in vegan protein. It is packed with fresh veggies, beans and quinoa with homemade oil free lemon dressing. Its low in calories too.
My other salad recipes that you might like:
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Quinoa Chickpea Salad
for the salad
- 1 15.5 oz can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup sweet corn kernels (canned or frozen)
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed bell peppers (red and yellow)
- 1/4 cup sliced cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a saucepan bring 2 cups of water to a boil and fold in rinsed quinoa. Stir and let it cook at high flame until half of the liquid is absorbed. Add 1/8 tsp salt and ¼ tsp garlic powder to it and stir. Lower the flame and cook covered until all the liquid is absorbed. Turn it off and remove the lid. Fluff with fork and let it cool.
- In the meanwhile, drain and rinse chickpeas and combine it in a large mixing bowl. Combine all the rest of the salad ingredients ( onion, cucumber, carrots, corn kernel, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, parsley) with chickpeas in the mixing bowl. Keep it aside.
- In a small glass bowl, combine dressing ingredients (lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano) and stir well. Keep this aside too.
- Toss quinoa in the salad bowl along with chickpeas and vegetables. Drizzle the dressing over it. Mix with a big salad spoon. Adjust salt and pepper as per taste and serve immediately.
- I personally prefer it at room temperature. Leftovers can be refrigerated in a glass container for about 1 week.
- You may cook quinoa ahead of time or a day before and refrigerate and toss all the ingredients when ready. However, cooked quinoa can be refrigerated for about 4-5 days.
- Lemon dressing also can be refrigerated in a glass container for about 2-3 days.
- If you are not on oil free diet then add 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil in the dressing to make the salad moister and it adds a bit more flavor to this recipe.
- I would highly recommend using fresh lemons to make this dressing for the best results. However, make sure to measure the squeezed lemon juice up to ¼ cup.
- feel free to mix red and white quinoa if desired.