Garlicky Sesame Chickpeas with Coconut is a complete fusion entree with various flavors infused in one pan. When paired with steamed rice the dinner becomes even more desirable and wholesome.
I personally love chickpeas not only because of its deliciousness but mainly because of its versatility. its easy to convert chickpeas into any form of recipe be it sweet or savory because of its texture and flavor.
This protein rich ingredient tastes as delicious in every recipe and justifies any dish unquestionably.
Talking about the versatility of chickpeas here are more recipes from the blog for you to explore:
Chickpeas Salad in Cilantro Dip
Chickpeas Zucchini Burger
Tofu Chickpeas Lettuce Wrap
Oats and Chickpeas Pilaf
Chocolate Hummus Waffles (sweet)
By the end of the week usually I am out of grocery and major food items. So I wanted to cook something quick with the little of what I found in my pantry and yet wishing for something suitable for my taste buds.
I am fond of coconut so I always store some in my pantry.
How to make Garlicky Sesame Chickpeas with Coconut
- Firstly, I combined garlic, white sesame seeds and coconut in a little oil. Voila! The aroma was unbeatable. It made me even hungrier and at that point I knew the combinations were perfect. However, my task to make it a winner dish was yet unfinished.
- Then, I added added soy sauce to it.
- Next, I added rest of the wet ingredients in it.
- Lastly, I tossed in chickpeas along with aquafaba.
By the time I tossed in the rest of the ingredients and served it with steamed rice I could not wait to take a bite.
I hungrily finished my serving. My belly could not have been more satisfied and happier.
Eagerly, I served the same to my family and they enjoyed Garlicky Sesame Chickpeas with Coconut as much as I did.
I knew I had to share this 15 minutes dinner with you because who doesn’t want a quick delish on their plate.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Garlicky Sesame Chickpeas with Coconut
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 2 cups boiled and drained chickpeas
- 3/4 cup aquafaba (chickpeas water)
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Add garlic, sesame seeds and coconut. Saute for 30 seconds on a medium flame.
- Increase the flame to high and add soy sauce immediately. As the bubbles of soy sauce forms lower the flame.
- Add vinegar, maple syrup, black pepper and mix well.
- Add chickpeas and aquafaba and mix. Cook covered on medium flame for 5-7 minutes or until its well-blended and chickpeas do not have raw taste. Do not let it dry. Slight liquid should float at the bottom to flavor the entree.
- Lastly sprinkle salt as per your taste and serve warm with steamed rice.
- use fresh homemade boiled chickpeas. Also I used fresh homemade aquafaba for this recipe.
- Aquafaba is the leftover chickpea water that’s used for boiling chickpeas/garbanzo beans.
- For us there was no need to add salt so feel free to sprinkle salt as per your taste.
- If while cooking the liquid dries up add about ¼ cup of water to chickpeas and cook covered at a low flame until water is well cooked. Adjust the spice a little before serving.
Ashley @ Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen says
This looks like such a comforting bowl! I love coconut in savory dishes – YUM!
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
Love this dish! Anything that is quick, healthy, filling…and includes garlic (!) is a winner in my book! Yum!
Yum yum yum! What a great dinner idea!
This recipe looks so simple and delicious. I need to try a new chickpea recipe so this is great timing. Thanks for sharing!
Sue Tanya Mchorgh says
This looks so good. I can’t wait to try this.
Looks good! And I love QUICK dishes.
Sarah Kranz says
This looks delicious, I love using coconut in savory dishes!
McKenzie Allyshia says
That combination sounds absolutely amazing! I wouldn’t have thought to pair garlic with coconut for a dish. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Elise Cohen Ho says
This flavor combo looks great. I cannot wait to try it.
C. Gibson says
Great recipe, really easy to follow.
Yes, Gibson easy to follow and only take about 15 minutes to cook.
Kimberly @ Berly's Kitchen says
Maple syrup and coconut are so good! I’ve never thought of adding them to garlic and chickpeas. What a neat idea!!
Jamie @TheSkinnySoul says
What a great idea! I looooove chickpeas, but I’ve never thought to cook with them like that. I love this–I’ll be trying it 🙂
Nicole Parise says
This looks really tasty, i love the coconut flakes on top! Yum 🙂
Thank you Nicole. The coconut does add a lot of flavor to this recipe.
My gosh – first, your photos are beautiful! And second, what a brilliant idea for an end of the week meal. I think it’s great for naytime actually, with that level of protein. I will definitely make! 🙂
Thank you Jeni for your appreciation. At the end of the week usually the leftovers are needed to be used so I cam up with this.
Tasia B. says
I LOVE your presentation! This looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing
Thank you Tasia.
Quinn Caudill says
What a great sounding one dish healthy meal. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Quinn.