Quick, easy, flavorful, Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes are perfect for any meal. Serve it as a side dish or as a snack you would want to make it all the time.
This air fryer roasted sweet potatoes are my family’s favorite. Since, we like a bit spicy I went a little extra with the chili powder and we enjoyed it.
I gave it an Indian touch and made it very similar to Indian chaat and it became so aromatic.
Sweet potato is my favorite carbohydrate to indulge in. So, I usually make it with creamy habanero sauce. In fact, I also made sweet potato smoothie to enjoy the creamy deliciousness full-fledged. My most favorite dessert this vegan sweet potato pie.
Health benefits of sweet potato
It’s a great source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Even though it is a starchy root vegetable, it is packed with antioxidants thereby protecting us from chronic diseases. Along with promoting gut health it also promotes healthy vision and supports immune system.
Which type of sweet potato to buy for roasting?
There are many varieties of sweet potatoes available which are different in taste, texture and overall outlook. I usually like to use the orange skinned sweet potatoes for my recipes and especially for roasting or air frying. These have sweet, creamy taste along with a more friendly texture. Make sure to buy the sweet potato with a smoother skin with no blemishes or discolorations. It should be firm and large in size.
Ingredients for air fryer sweet potato
I used only 6 common ingredients to make this awesome and versatile air fried sweet potatoes recipe.
Sweet potato – I used a large orange sweet potato for this recipe.
Cumin powder – I roasted the cumin seeds here and then crushed them in the food processor. You may crush them with mortar and pestle too. However, store bought cumin powder also works here.
Garlic powder – powdered dry garlic works best here because it coats well.
Chili powder – paprika or cayenne also works in this recipe. But use it as per your taste.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
Step 1: how to prepare sweet potatoes
Firstly, I rinsed it well and peeled its skin with the help of peeler.
Secondly, I cut it into two halves horizontally.
Then, I cut it again vertically and made wide strips.
Next, I placed the strips horizontally and cut into ½ inch thick chunks.
Step 2: how to coat with spices
In this step, I combined cubed sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
Next, I added cumin powder, garlic powder, chili powder and salt to it.
Thereafter, with a spoon I mixed all the ingredients.
Afterwards, I sprinkled little water with hands over the mixture and mixed it again so that each cube is well coated.
Step 3: how to air fry
Now, I spooned it out in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Then, I attached it to the main air fryer and turned it on at 400 degree for 12 minutes.
Once done, I detached the basket and spooned it out in a serving bowl.
Lastly, I garnished with chopped cilantro and served it immediately.
It was an instant hit and now its regular in my house. I am sure once you make it you will make this recipe on repeat every week.
How to roast sweet potatoes in the oven?
Pre-heat oven at 425-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with a parchment paper. In a bowl toss the cubes with all the spices very well. Sprinkle it with little water and mix again. Then, place them in the prepared baking sheet. If desired you may grease the sweet potatoes with cooking spray and place it in the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until its soft from inside. Turn it off and take it out. Garnish and serve immediately.
Serving suggestions for air fryer sweet potato recipe:
I usually like to enjoy it just by itself. But any side dressing like vegan ranch works here. To make it a complete meal, you may serve it as a side dish with plain rice and chana dal or red lentil dal.
- Make sure to cube them into ½ inch thickness for the best results.
- It is important to sprinkle little water since we are not using any oil here. However, do not use too much water just a dash.
- Make sure to prick a tooth pick into one of the cubes to make sure its cooked from inside before turning it off.
Air fryer sweet potatoes taste best when served immediately. It may soften if kept for longer.
I used the fresh ones which is mostly available all year round. So, I would recommend using fresh here.
This recipe does not require any covering in the basket. You may directly place the cubed sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook.
My other air fryer recipes that you might like:
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Where to find me?
Follow me on Facebook or on Twitter. You may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake images because I would love to see what you cooked.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Peel the sweet potato and cut them into two halves horizontally. Then, slice them vertically and then chop them horizontally into small cubes (about ½ inch cube size).
- Combine the cubed sweet potatoes in a bowl along with cumin powder, garlic powder, salt and chili powder and mix them well with a spoon. Sprinkle little water on it with hands and mix again so that the spices coat well in each cube. (Just make slightly damp and not very wet).
- Spoon it out in the air fryer basket in a single layer. (If not into oil free diet, then spray well with cooking spray). Attach the basket to the air fryer and turn it on at 400 degree for 12 minutes.
- Once done, turn it off and detach the basket from the air fryer. Spoon it out in a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
- How to make roasted cumin powder – warm a nonstick pan and add cumin seeds to it. Keep sautéing the seeds until you get the light aroma and the cumin seeds start to change its color. Turn it off and immediately remove from heat. Let it cool down a bit and grind or crush in the food processor or mortar and pestle.
- However, you may use regular cumin powder from the store as well.
- How to roast sweet potatoes in the oven – Pre-heat oven at 425-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with a parchment paper. In a bowl toss the cubes with all the spices very well. Sprinkle it with little water and mix again. Then, place them in the prepared baking sheet. If desired you may grease the sweet potatoes with cooking spray and place it in the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until its soft from inside. Turn it off and take it out. Garnish and serve immediately.
- This tastes best when served immediately. It may soften if kept for longer.
- I used 1 large sweet potato which made about 3 cups cubed sweet potatoes.