This crunchy Mexican Coleslaw salad is tossed in oil free flavorful creamy dressing. It’s healthy and satisfying along with being vegan and gluten free. It’s perfect for potlucks or BBQs.
I love salads and its quite frequent on my dinner table most of the days. However, it’s my regular lunch. It’s a great way to include fiber in our diet.
My girls have also learnt to love salads. So, usually I toss this Mexican coleslaw in a big bowl and we all literally dig into it happily. I often serve this coleslaw with my chipotle pasta and its a wonderful meal.
My favorite Mexican quinoa salad is definitely a must try too.
Ingredients for Mexican Coleslaw Salad
For the dressing
Taco seasoning mix
Apple cider vinegar
Dairy free milk
For the salad
Red bell pepper
Orange/yellow bell pepper
How to make this Mexican Coleslaw Salad
Firstly, I combined all the dressing ingredient (except salt) in a blender.
Then, immediately blended it until smooth and creamy. Subsequently, I kept it aside. This step helps all the flavors to blend into each other very well. The more we keep the dressing to rest the better it tastes.
In my next step, I combined all the salad ingredients (except avocado) in a salad bowl.
Thereafter, I folded in the salad dressing to the vegetables.
Afterwards, I gently mixed in avocado to the salad.
Now, simply enjoy it as a meal or as a side dish.
Frequently asked questions:
How long do they last?
Usually, salads taste best when served immediately. However, its possible to make ahead the salad dressing in this recipe. Store it in the refrigerator in an air tight container for about 3-4 days.
Should I serve it cold or at room temperature?
It tastes good in both temperatures. But, I personally prefer it at room temperature.
Is this Mexican Coleslaw healthy?
Yes, because the salad vegetables are raw and nutrient rich. Whereas, the dressing is concerned, its oil free. So, we save quite a bit of fat and calories here. Moreover, I have it made with an addition of sunflower seeds to keep it low in carbohydrate as well.
What can I pair with this Mexican Coleslaw?
Here is the list of few mains that can be paired with this coleslaw.
7 Ingredient Green Monster Veggie Burger
Sriracha Lentil Cheese Sandwich
Chickpeas Zucchini Burger
Lentil Broccoli Breakfast Cutlets
Carrot Oatmeal Breakfast Patties
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram and share the picture of what you cooked.
Mexican Coleslaw Salad
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds ( unroasted and unsalted)
- 1/4 cup raw cashew nuts (whole)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
For the salad
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced orange/yellow bell pepper
- 1 15oz can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper ( finely chopped)
- 1/2 of whole avocado ( chopped)
- In a blender combine all the dressing ingredients
(except salt) and blend it until smooth and creamy. Spoon it out in a bowl and
stir in salt. Keep it aside.
- In a salad bowl combine all the salad ingredients
- Now, fold in the dressing into the salad vegetables and toss the salad well.
- Lastly, gently mix in avocado making sure avocado does not break.
- Serve immediately.
- This salad tastes best when served immediately.
- If possible, let the dressing sit for 5-10 minutes for all the flavors to blend well into each other.
- The dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator in a glass container for about a week.
- I have provided step wise images above in the post for your reference.
Jacqui DeBono says
We usually just use a bagged salad to go with our Mexican dishes, this is so much nicer! I will definitely try this on our next Taco Tuesday!
Never tried Mexican Coleslaw but looks really tasty! Will save the recipe to make sometime soon!
I have never tried this version of coleslaw salad, but it looks so delicious and so crunchy! Perfect side to any dish, but equally good to eat on its own!
Thank you Anna! I hope you get a chance to try it soon.
Paula Montenegro says
So unique, I love the salad and especially the dressing! I’m definitely making this soon, it’s summer here and I need fresh dishes!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Bernice Hill says
What a great looking salad. I love all the bright colours and flavours.
Thank you Bernice.
Chef Dennis says
I really love Mexican recipes! They all so delicious and this Mexican Coleslaw Salad is one of those yummy recipes. I can’t wait to serve this to my wife and sons. They will love it.
Thank you Dennis. I hope you get a chance to enjoy it soon.