This creamy and crunchy Healthy Vegan Potato Salad is definitely a show stopper on the table spread! It’s oil free and made with few simple ingredients. Along with being a make ahead salad it is deliciously satisfying.
Even though I rarely post potato recipes but this one is my most favorite one. So, therefore, I had to share it here with you all.
Ingredients for Healthy Vegan Potato Salad
Regular sized red potatoes
Red bell pepper
Green bell pepper
Oil free vegan mayo
Crushed black pepper
How to make this Healthy Vegan Potato Salad
Firstly, I boiled red potatoes in a sauce pan until they were tender. (insert fork to judge its tenderness. Do not overcook because we do not want it mashed).
Secondly, I peeled the potatoes and chopped them into 1-inch size.
Thereafter, I combined all the vegetables in a salad bowl and gently tossed them.
Afterwards, I added the condiments and seasonings and gently tossed them again.
Lastly, I garnished it with more dill. However, garnishing with fresh dill enhances the presentation of this dish and taste too.
I personally prefer it cold so I refrigerated it for 30 minutes. However, you may serve it immediately if desired.
I guarantee you will fall in love with this vegan potato salad the moment you put the first bite into your mouth.
- I used oil free vegan mayo for this recipe to make it as healthy as possible.
- While boiling the potatoes make sure you do not over boil them. They should be tender enough so that they can be chopped into pieces. They should no be mushy.
- Feel free to boil the potatoes in the pressure cooker if desired.
- Most importantly, boil the potatoes with the skin on. After boiling and cooling, peel them and chop. This helps potatoes to retain its nutrition and the exact texture that this recipe requires. This step also ensures that the potatoes do not retain extra moisture.
Frequently asked questions:
Is this vegan potato salad a make ahead salad?
Yes, absolutely. As I have mentioned in my steps that they taste best when served cold. So, therefore, I refrigerate it for 30 minutes before serving. You may serve it at room temperature also. This salad lasts for about a week in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
Can I use store bought mayo for this?
Yes, but the nutrition facts may vary depending on your choice of mayo.
What should I pair with this potato salad?
Usually, it’s a good idea to pair some vegan protein dishes with this salad since it is a bit starchy and has carbohydrate as well. So therefore, I have listed few recipes here that pairs well this vegan potato salad.
Moroccan tempeh wraps
7-ingredient green monster burger
Vegan herb roasted vegetables
If you get a chance to make this recipe the please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because I love to see what’s cooking in your kitchen.
Healthy Vegan Potato Salad
- 3 whole regular sized red potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded/chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery stalk
- 3 tbsp oil free vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh/dried dill (chopped)
- Salt as per taste
- Boil the red potatoes in a sauce pan until tender. Insert the fork to check its tenderness. They should be soft but firm and not mushy.
- Take them out of the water and cool them. Then peel the potatoes with the peeler and chop them into 1 inch size.
- In a salad bowl combine all the salad ingredients and toss them gently making sure that potatoes do not break.
- Adjust the salt and garnish it with a little more fresh/dried dill.
- Serve it immediately or refrigerate it for 30 minutes if you prefer it cold.
- I have specifically used oil free vegan mayo that I made earlier in this blog. However, you may use your choice of mayo too. But the nutritional facts may vary depending on the type of mayo that you use in this salad recipe.
- This salad tastes best when served cold. Therefore, I prefer to refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Store the leftovers in an air tight glass container for about a week.
- I have provided step wise images above in the post for your reference.