Easy, healthy and delicious, Vegan Spinach Soup with Apples (Instant Pot Option) is a great combination of fruit and vegetable in a bowl. Its sweet and salty in taste and yet its creamy and a satisfying meal for all year round.
I love the combination of fruit and vegetable in my soups. By combining super food fruit and super food veggie together in a recipe, this vegan spinach soup is at another level.
I always endeavor to add spinach into my family’s diet so my other spinach recipes are kidney beans spinach masala, spinach artichoke dip, Palak rice (spinach rice).
Crushed black pepper
Unsweetened coconut milk
Vegan cheddar cheese (to garnish)
I used simple pantry staples here to make this creamy vegan spinach soup. My kids love it too and is always happy to eat it for dinner with their favorite bread.
Apples – Fuji apples or red delicious apples work great in this spinach soup recipe. Also, I used it with skin to add lots of fiber in here.
Spinach – I like to sue baby spinach in my recipes and its easy to use and also it has a smoother taste as well. However, if desired you may use adult or regular spinach too.
Garlic – fresh or dried both works great here.
Vegetable broth – I prefer low sodium vegetable broth in my recipes but any regular vegetable broth works perfectly fine. In fact homemade vegetable broth also works great.
Coconut milk – I always use tetra packed beverage style coconut milk to keep my recipes light and low in calories. But you may also use canned unsweetened and lightened coconut milk (not full fat).
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Vegan Spinach Soup with Apples
Firstly, I heated oil in a stockpot and sauteed chopped apples in it for 1 minute.
Secondly, I added garlic and spinach to it and mixed it well until spinach got withered.
Next, I stirred in vegetable broth and cooked for few minutes on high flame.
Thereafter, I turned it off. Then, I poured it in my blender after cooling it for sometime.
Afterwards, I blended it smooth and poured it back in the same stockpot.
Then, I added coconut milk and seasoned it with salt and pepper. I let it cook on low flame for few minutes stirring constantly.
Lastly, I turned off the flame and ladled in the serving soup bowls. Then, I garnished it with vegan cheddar cheese and served it.
We all enjoyed this easy and healthy spinach soup heartily and happily.
Instant Pot option
Turn on your instant pot at sauté mode and heat oil in it. Then, sauté apples, garlic and spinach for 1 minute. Pour in vegetable broth and stir well. Cancel the sauté mode and close the lid. Seal the valve and turn it on at high manual for 5 minutes. Once done, release the pressure and open the lid, stir in coconut milk while hot and season with salt and pepper. Turn it on at sauté mode again and stir for about minute. (Do not over cook). Turn it off before it starts to bubble. Serve hot!
We love it garnished with vegan cheese but it pairs well with whole wheat bread or roasted onion bread. Sometimes, I like to pair it with quinoa dinner rolls and a side of chickpea salad to include protein in our meal.
Its best to serve immediately but this vegan soup with spinach can be refrigerated too. Do not add cheese to it and let it cool completely at room temperature. Then, store it in an air tight glass container and refrigerate for about 1 week.
- When sauteing apples in oil make sure to keep mixing the apples at intervals by scraping from the bottom so that all the apple pieces are coated in oil.
- It is important to stir in coconut milk at low flame so as to avoid any curdle.
In a nonstick stockpot/saucepan/Dutch oven, combine apples and vegetable broth first. Let it cook at high until the apples soften and then add garlic and spinach to it. Cook for 2 minutes at high flame stirring at intervals to avoid overflowing. Then, blend it in the blender. Then, pour it back to the same pan and turn it on the flame at low heat. Stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper. Cook at low flame for 1-2 minutes and turn it off. Serve hot.
I would insist on following the recipe as explained becasue it has a combination of fruit also. However, if you really want it a bit more thick then add 1 tbsp cornstarch along with vegetable broth and stir it until there are no lumps.
This vegan spinach soup is very different from cream of spinach soup in taste and in texture. But I promise its delicious and kid friendly too.
More vegan soup recipes
Vegan Taco Soup
Spicy Carrot Amaranth Soup
Jalapeno Pear Soup
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Cilantro Tofu Soup
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Soup
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Where to find me?
Follow me on Facebook or on Twitter. You may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake images because I would love to see what you cooked.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Vegan Spinach Soup with Apples (Instant Pot Option)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red apples
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt as per taste
- crushed black pepper as per taste
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack)
- 1-2 tbsp vegan cheddar cheese (shredded style) (to garnish)
- Heat oil in a sauce pan/stock pot/Dutch oven and sauté chopped apples in it at medium flame for 1 minute or until you start getting its aroma. All the apple pieces should be coated in oil.
- Next sauté spinach and garlic in it for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth in it and cook for few minutes. Turn off the flame and let it cool. Blend it smooth in a blender (you may use immersion blender) and pour the soup back in the same saucepan.
- Turn it on at low flame and stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper. Let it cook for few minutes until warmed properly. Keep stirring continuously so as to avoid any curdle. ( Do not over cook at this stage).
- Ladle it in the soup bowl and garnish with vegan cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
- Make sure to use tetra pack beverage style coconut milk. However, canned unsweetened and lightened coconut milk can also be used here but the nutritional information will vary.
- This taste best when served immediately. However, refrigerate the leftovers to be used the next day.
- If you want to store for longer time then do not add cheese. Let the soup cool down completely at room temperature and then refrigerate for about 1 week in an air tight glass container. When ready, warm it up on the stove top or in microwave and garnish with vegan cheese before serving.
- Oil free option – In a nonstick stockpot/saucepan/Dutch oven, combine apples and vegetable broth first. Let it cook at high until the apples soften and then add garlic and spinach to it. Cook for 2 minutes at high flame stirring at intervals to avoid overflowing. Then, blend it in the blender. Then, pour it back to the same pan and turn it on the flame at low heat. Stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper. Cook at low flame for 1-2 minutes and turn it off. Serve hot.
- Instant Pot option – Turn on your instant pot at sauté mode and heat oil in it. Then, sauté apples, garlic and spinach for 1 minute. Pour in vegetable broth and stir well. Cancel the sauté mode and close the lid. Seal the valve and turn it on at high manual for 5 minutes. Once done, release the pressure and open the lid, stir in coconut milk while hot and season with salt and pepper. Turn it on at sauté mode again and stir for 1-2 minutes. (Do not over cook). Turn it off before it starts to bubble. Serve hot with garnishes!
What a delicious idea for the season! I would love to give this a try soon.
Thank you Catherine. Enjoy!!!
That is a very interesting soup made with apple and spinach, I would never have thought of using apples in soup – it looks creamy and so perfect for the chilly fall weather.
I’ve never heard of this combination and that makes me want to try it all the more. I simply can’t wait to cook some!
elizabeth @LocalSavour says
Yum ~ what an interesting & healthy combo!
Amanda @ Cookie Named Desire says
yum, this flavor combination sounds great. I love that it is simple to put together, but has a lot of flavor going on. I will definitely be trying it!
Thank you Amanda! This soup is truly flavorful and simple to cook.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl says
I love the creativity with this one! I would never think to add apple to spinach soup, but I bet it really works in this.
You bet Hannah! It was my first time to try an apple in a soup and it turned out to be awesome. Hope you enjoy this soup when you get a chance.
This looks like a lovely and different soup to try for the Winter months.
Thank you Deon! Hope you enjoy it.