This delicious and nutritious Vegan Spinach Soup with Apples (Instant Pot Options) will warm you up on chilly days. Packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, this soup combines the earthy flavors of spinach with the subtle sweetness of apples to create a harmonious blend that is both satisfying and comforting.
The combination of green spinach along with sweet juicy apples makes this soup perfect to enjoy all year round.
Its light enough for summer and cozy for winter. It is also a great way to include spinach into your family’s diet.
I always make extra servings so I can enjoy the leftovers for my next day lunch.
I grew up eating spinach soup or palak soup but the addition of apples brings out a unique taste and makes this vegan soup healthier.
Health benefits of spinach
Its high in iron, vitamin C and E. Spinach supports immune system and aides in digestion.
I always endeavor to add spinach into my family’s diet so I often make kidney beans spinach masala which is a great combination of macro and micro nutrients.
I love to serve my special spinach artichoke dip to my guests.
My Palak rice (spinach rice) is my family’s favorite.
Health benefits of apple
Apple eases inflammation while providing satiety. It helps stabilizing blood sugar and lowers cholesterol along with boosting microbiome. Apple is know to reduce blood pressure and is source f fiber and vitamin C. Apple also contains antioxidants.
Why you will love this
High in iron, vitamin and minerals
Unique combination of sweet and salty flavors
Low in calories and fat
Easy to make and kid friendly
Excellent creamy textured soup without cream
Healthy, gluten free and dairy free
Apples – Fuji apples or red delicious apples work great in this vegetarian spinach soup recipe. Also, I used it with skin to add lots of fiber in here.
Spinach – I like to use baby spinach in my recipes. Its easy to use and also it has a smoother taste. However, if desired you may use adult or regular spinach too in this soup.
Garlic – fresh or dried both works great here.
Vegetable broth – I prefer low sodium vegetable broth in my recipes but any regular vegetable broth works perfectly fine here. In fact homemade vegetable broth also works great.
Coconut milk – I always use tetra packed beverage style coconut milk to keep my recipes light and low in calories. But you may also use canned unsweetened and lightened coconut milk (not full fat).
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make
Firstly, I heated oil in a stockpot and sauteed chopped apples in it for 1 minute.
Secondly, I added garlic and spinach to it and mixed it well until spinach got withered.
Next, I stirred in vegetable broth and cooked for few minutes on high flame.
Thereafter, I removed it from the heat. Then, I poured it in my blender after cooling it for sometime.
Afterwards, I blended it smooth and poured it back in the same stockpot.
Then, I added coconut milk and seasoned it with salt and pepper. I let it cook on low flame for few minutes stirring constantly.
Lastly, I turned off the flame and ladled in the serving soup bowls. Then, I garnished it with vegan cheddar cheese and served it.
It was the best spinach soup which we enjoyed heartily and happily.
Instant Pot option
Turn on your instant pot at sauté mode and heat oil in it. Then, sauté apples, garlic and spinach for 1 minute. Pour in vegetable broth and stir well. Cancel the sauté mode and close the lid. Seal the valve and turn it on at high manual for 5 minutes. Once done, release the pressure and open the lid, stir in coconut milk while hot and season with salt and pepper. Turn it on at sauté mode again and stir for about minute. (Do not over cook). Turn it off before it starts to bubble. Serve hot!
We love this vegan spinach soup garnished with vegan cheese but it pairs well with whole wheat bread or roasted onion bread. Sometimes, I like to pair it with quinoa dinner rolls and a side of chickpea salad to include protein in our meal.
This vegan spinach soup tastes best when served immediately. If you plan to double the recipe than after its done let the soup cool down to room temperature. Do not add cheese to it. Refrigerate it in a glass container for about 1 week. When ready, warm it well in the microwave or on stove top. Garnish with vegan cheese and enjoy.
- When sauteing apples in oil make sure to keep mixing the apples at intervals by scraping from the bottom so that all the apple pieces are coated in oil.
- It is important to stir in coconut milk at low flame so as to avoid any curdle.
Yes! In a nonstick stockpot/saucepan/Dutch oven, combine apples and vegetable broth first. Let it cook at high until the apples soften and then add garlic and spinach to it. Cook for 2 minutes at high flame stirring at intervals to avoid overflowing. Then, blend it in the blender. Then, pour it back to the same pan and turn it on the flame at low heat. Stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper. Cook at low flame for 1-2 minutes and turn it off. Serve hot.
I would insist on following the recipe as explained because it has a combination of fruit also. However, if you really want it a bit more thick then add 2 tsp cornstarch along with vegetable broth and stir it until there are no lumps.
This vegan spinach soup is very different from cream of spinach soup in taste and in texture. But I promise its delicious and kid friendly too.
More vegan soup recipes
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Vegan Spinach Soup with Apples (Instant Pot Option)
- Heat oil in a sauce pan/stock pot/Dutch oven and sauté chopped apples in it at medium flame for 1 minute or until you start getting its aroma. All the apple pieces should be coated in oil.
- Next sauté spinach and garlic in it for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth in it and cook for few minutes. Remove it from the flame and let it cool. Blend it smooth in a blender (you may use immersion blender) and pour the soup back in the same saucepan.
- Turn it on at low flame and stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper. Let it cook for few minutes until warmed properly. Keep stirring continuously so as to avoid any curdle. ( Do not over cook at this stage).
- Ladle it in the soup bowl and garnish with vegan cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
- Make sure to use tetra pack beverage style coconut milk. However, canned unsweetened and lightened coconut milk can also be used here but the nutritional information will vary.
- This taste best when served immediately. However, refrigerate the leftovers to be used the next day.
- If you want to store for longer time then do not add cheese. Let the soup cool down completely at room temperature. Do not add cheese. Refrigerate for about 1 week in an air tight glass container. When ready, warm it up on the stove top or in microwave and garnish with vegan cheese before serving.
- Oil free option – In a nonstick stockpot/saucepan/Dutch oven, combine apples and vegetable broth first. Let it cook at high until the apples soften and then add garlic and spinach to it. Cook for 2 minutes at high flame stirring at intervals to avoid overflowing. Then, blend it in the blender. Then, pour it back to the same pan and turn it on the flame at low heat. Stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper. Cook at low flame for 1-2 minutes and turn it off. Serve hot.
- Instant Pot option – Turn on your instant pot at sauté mode and heat oil in it. Then, sauté apples, garlic and spinach for 1 minute. Pour in vegetable broth and stir well. Cancel the sauté mode and close the lid. Seal the valve and turn it on at high manual for 5 minutes. Once done, release the pressure and open the lid, stir in coconut milk while hot and season with salt and pepper. Turn it on at sauté mode again and stir for 1-2 minutes. (Do not over cook). Turn it off before it starts to bubble. Serve hot with garnishes!