This easy Vegan Apple Crisp is perfectly baked with warm spices and is a must Fall dessert! Its oil free, nut free and made with simple ingredients. Serve it with vegan ice cream and enjoy this deliciousness with your loved ones.
We absolutely love this Fall dessert. I have been wanting to post it earlier but I wanted to test it many times to make sure this healthy apple crisp is packed with old fashioned flavors.
Hence, it’s a crowd-pleasing dessert that’s going to be a star on your Thanksgiving table.
Moreover, this healthy vegan apple crisp is made with oats and oat flour plus its refined sugar free.
My applesauce bread is regular and I bake it on rotation.
What is the difference between cobbler, crumble and crisp?
Cobbler – it is basically biscuit topping and its batter is like that of a cake batter. Therefore, it’s a deep-dish baked fruits with drop biscuit topping. I love this vegan peach cobbler and its quite popular as well.
Crumble – this on the other hand is very similar to crisp but with a slight difference in the ingredients. Usually this does not contain oats or nuts and is made simply with flour, sugar and butter.
Crisp – this is a fruit dish baked with oats and nut toppings until its brown and crispy.
I tried vegan apple crisp for the first time and my family loved it.
While it was baking in the oven, my whole house was filled with cinnamon aroma which gave us the pleasure of the upcoming holiday season.
Hence, we felt like holidays even on working days because of this vegan holiday dessert.
Therefore, here I am to share this awesome vegan apple crisp recipe with you.
Ingredients you will need
Dairy free milk
I have used these easily available ingredients which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
Apples – I used honey crisp apples and baked with skin. I tried it without skin as well but for us with apple skin tasted better. However, you may peel the skin and make this same recipe.
Cornstarch – this helps in thickening the sauce and I have used it in minimum amount in order to make this apple crisp as healthy as possible.
Spices – make sure to use the mentioned spices in the same combination so as to get the exact flavors. These spices play an important role in bringing out the comforting taste of this dessert.
Maple syrup – since this is a healthier sweetener, I used it to sweeten this dessert recipe. This adds to the perfect consistency of the sauce and caramelizes the apples perfectly well.
Oat flour – I used this to form a base of the topping. Its healthier, whole grain has more fiber and is low GI food ingredient. You may use store bought one or make your own by grinding it in the food processor.
Rolled oats – I used old fashioned oats to bring out the crunchy and crispy texture for its toppings.
For detailed measurement of the ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card.
How to make Vegan Apple Crisp
Step1: how to make the filling
Firstly, I chopped the apples into small squares and combined it in a large mixing bowl.
Secondly, I added cornstarch and the spices to it and tossed it roughly.
Next, I added maple syrup and lemon juice to it and mixed it well until it was saucy. Then, I kept it aside.
Step2: how to make the topping
Firstly, I combined oat flour and salt in another mixing bowl and mixed it.
Secondly, I added maple syrup and dairy free milk to it and whipped it into a thick batter.
Thereafter, I folded in the rolled oats and mixed it well into a thick cookie like batter.
Step3: how to assemble
Firstly, in a prepared baking dish, I spooned out the filling and spread it all over the dish evenly.
Secondly, I topped it with the topping and covered the filling evenly.
Thereafter, I placed it in the middle rack of the oven and baked it in a pre-heated oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes until light brown.
Once done, I turned it off and took it out.
We enjoyed it immediately with vegan ice cream. It was an instant hit and was super comforting.
- It is important to cut the fruit into small square pieces. It should be not too big and not finely chopped as well.
- For crispier topping bake it all the way to 40 minutes. Then turn it off and let it rest in the warm over for 2 minutes before taking it out. This way it settles down and sauce thickens a bit more.
This tastes best when served the same day especially immediately. Refrigerate the leftovers in the same dish by covering it with an aluminum foil or with cling wrapper for about 10 days. Then, reheat in the over at 350-degree Fahrenheit for 10 minutes and serve.
Usually, Granny smith and Honeycrisp apples are best for baking. Hence, I used honey crisp apples for this recipe since its sweeter. Moreover, I baked it with its skin which brought a nice color to this recipe.
I used 2 full apples with its core removed which was about 4 cups chopped apples.
Yes! I tested it in instant pot and it came out quite well. Prepare the filling as mentioned in the recipe and place it in the greased inner pot of the instant pot. Add 1/4 cup of water on the top of the filling. Then, prepare the topping as per the recipe and spread it on its top. Close the lid and seal the valve. Turn it on at high for 4 minutes. When done, turn it off and release the pressure. Do not open the lid at this time. Let it rest for 2 minutes (this helps in thickening the sauce). Open the lid and enjoy it warm.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments along with 5-star ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram along with your recipe remake images because we would love to see what you cooked.
You may also check out my cookbook for everyday vegan comfort recipe.
Vegan Apple Crisp
- Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and grease a 9-inch rectangular or 8-inch square baking dish with a cooking spray. Keep it aside.
- Chop apples along with its skin and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cornstarch, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and ginger to it. Give it a nice toss.
- Pour in maple syrup and lemon juice into it and mix it very well.
- Spoon it out on the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly. Keep it aside.
- In another bowl combine oat flour and salt and toss it well.
- Add maple syrup and dairy free milk to it and whip it with a spoon.
- Fold in rolled oats and mix well. It will be dough like consistency.
- Then, spread it on the apple filling with your hands evenly covering the dish properly.
- Place the baking dish in the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 40 minutes.
- Turn it off and take it out. Let it settle for few minutes and enjoy it warm with large scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- I baked this with apple skin and it tasted better for us. I tried it without skin too and it works fine also so you may peel the skin if desired. However, this tastes best with its skin.
- Make sure to use Honeycrisp apples for this recipe.
- The leftovers can be refrigerated in the same dish covered with aluminum foil or cling wrapper for about 10 days. Re-bake in the oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes to serve.
- I tried baking this recipe without greasing the baking dish and maple syrup sticks to the pan too much and parchment paper dries up the sauce a bit more than required. Therefore, it is important to grease your baking dish lightly so that you can scoop this dessert easily and cleaning of the dish also becomes easy.
- Instant pot option: Prepare the filling and the topping as mentioned in the above instructions. Then grease the inner pot of the instant pot and spread the filling first. Then, add 1/4 cup water to it and spread the topping on it evenly. Close the lid and seal the valve. Turn it on at high for 4 minutes. When done, turn it off and release the pressure. Do not open the lid and let it rest for 2 minutes ( this helps in thickening the sauce). Open the lid and enjoy.
- This recipe comes out crispier in oven and a bit softer in instant pot.