Creamy and cheesy Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup is made with few simple ingredients and is a favorite go to comfort meal. It’s so rich, thick and flavorful that you won’t miss dairy in this luscious soup.
My younger one loves broccoli. So, I often make my air fryer broccoli. I have also included this super vegetable in my broccoli pasta and it’s a delish. So, this time I decided to make vegan broccoli soup.
It’s came out so good that I make this every week as a weeknight dinner.
Often times I make baked cheesy broccoli casserole when I am hosting so broccoli is our favorite and extremely versatile.
Health benefits of broccoli
It’s packed with vitamins and minerals along with being a good source for antioxidants. It helps in controlling blood sugar and cholesterol. At the same time, it also supports immune system and is a great addition in vegan diet as its also a source of protein along with being low in calories.
Ingredients for vegan broccoli cheese soup
Vegan cheddar cheese
It’s the best and the most delicious soup and similar to Panera bread broccoli cheddar soup. However, its healthier and veganized. Hence, my favorite.
Broccoli – you may cut broccoli chunks as per your desired size or simply get the ready broccoli florets from the store.
Vegetable broth – I like to use low sodium vegetable broth but you may use any of your choice.
Onion – red or white onion works great here in this broccoli cheese soup recipe.
Carrots – I used baby carrots for convenience but you may use the regular carrots here and roughly chop them.
Coconut milk – I used unsweetened coconut milk from tetra pack but canned coconut milk also works here.
Vegan cheddar cheese – its shredded style is easily viable in the stores and in many brands.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Firstly, I sautéed broccoli florets in olive oil in a nonstick pan and kept it aside.
Secondly, in a saucepan, I cooked together vegetable broth, garlic, onion, carrots, nutritional yeast and cashew nuts.
Next, I blended the broth in a blender and poured it back in the same saucepan.
Thereafter, I stirred in coconut milk, salt and pepper to it.
Afterwards, I folded in sauteed broccoli florets to it and cooked for few minutes.
Next, I again poured it in the blender and pulsed it twice to crush broccoli.
Lastly, I poured it back in the saucepan and stirred in vegan cheese.
Immediately, I served it and we all enjoyed a warm hearty soup in our favorite cozy corner of our home.
What to serve
This pairs well with whole wheat bread or a simple tomato cucumber pasta salad. However, mostly I serve it as the main dish but to elaborate you spread you may also serve my famous vegan pizza rolls with it.
- Make sure to sauté broccoli only for 2 minutes so that it is not raw. It should not be mushy or overcooked.
- It is important to only pulse the soup once broccoli is mixed into it because we want bites of the vegetable blended in the soup.
This taste best when served immediately. However, refrigerate the leftovers in a glass container for 4-5 days. Warm it up well before serving.
You may, but it would be a little mushy as the end result. I would recommend using fresh broccoli florets for the best results.
Spread the little cheese all over the soup and stir. Then spread more cheese and stir again. Repeat this process until all the cheese melts.
More vegan soup recipes
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
Vegan Cabbage Soup
Instant Pot Vegan Chowder
Vegan Mushroom Rice Soup
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Where to find me?
Follow me on Facebook or on Twitter. You may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake images because I would love to see what you cooked.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup roughly chopped onions
- 1/4 cup baby carrots or roughly chopped regular carrots
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- salt as per taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese (shredded style)
- In a nonstick pan heat oil and sauté broccoli florets for 2 minutes. (Do not over cook and should not be mushy). Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
- In a saucepan bring vegetable broth to a boil and add garlic, onions, carrots, nutritional yeast, cashew nuts to it. Stir and cook at high flame for 3 minutes or until carrots and cashew nuts are bit soft. Turn off the flame.
- Pour the cooked broth along with the vegetables and seasonings in a blender and blend it smooth. (Depending on your blender you may let it cool down a bit before blending).
- Pour the blended broth again to the same saucepan. Turn it on at medium flame and stir in coconut milk, salt and pepper. Fold in sauteed broccoli florets and cook at high flame for 3-4 minutes. Stir at intervals to avoid sticking at the bottom. Turn off the flame.
- Pour the soup (including broccoli florets) in the blender again and pulse once or twice to crush broccoli florets. (Do not blend too much because we only want broccoli florets to crush slightly so as to get extremely finely chopped texture of them scattered in the soup).
- Pour the pulsed soup back in the same saucepan and turn it on at high flame. Fold in vegan cheddar cheese. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Turn it off and ladle it in your bowls and enjoy!
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately. The leftovers can be refrigerated in a glass container for 4-5 days. Warm it up very well before serving.
- Add a little extra black pepper for a nice spark in its taste.
- If you have a hand blender then you may crush broccoli in the soup saucepan directly. But make sure to only crush broccoli because we want bites of broccoli in this soup.
Nutritional yeast is such a grand ingredient. I’m not even vegan and I always use it. I love the cheesy nutty flavors and it works so well with this broccoli soup!
I absolutely agree with you Dana 🙂
Sonal Gupta says
I was looking for a vegan version of this soup to make for my vegan guests. Thanks for sharing.
I am so looking forward to hear on how it turns out for your guests 🙂
Kali Alexandria says
Love the vegan option – My sister is gonna love this when I make it for her! Thank you!
So excited for you try it 🙂
This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is so cozy, hearty, and warm. Loved the recipe; so easy and delicious.
Thank you Savita!
Fast and easy to make. I’ll be making this soup again and again! Great recipe! Loved it!
So glad you loved this soup Jovita!