Easy one pot Vegan Taco Soup is a soul satisfying winter meal. It’s packed with flavors and nutrition that’s made with simple pantry staples.
Soup is my favorite go to meal when weather cools down. So, this healthy vegetarian taco soup is everything that I want. You will love it too because my kids have approved it.
I love making one pot dishes because its quick, less post dinner mess and super comforting. Hence, I wanted to make a protein packed comfort dinner for busy weeknights.
This meatless taco soup has become our favorite too and I make it very frequently every week.
Why you’ll love this
Its healthy and protein packed
Made in one pot
Easy pantry staples as the ingredients
Wholesome and kid friendly
Ingredients for vegan taco soup recipe
Red bell pepper
Vegan cheddar cheese
Vegan sour cream
You may garnish with any of your favorite toppings and enjoy this vegan Mexican soup in your favorite cozy corner with your family.
Red lentils – dry red lentils work best in this recipe and makes it healthy and so flavorful
Taco seasoning – this spice comes in a dry powder form and is the main ingredient in this soup recipe.
Cumin powder – roasted cumin powder is the best form to use in here but any cumin powder also works equally well.
Jalapeno – make sure to use 1 whole jalapeno in this recipe and finely chop it. Do not discard its seeds for that extra flavor.
Corn kernels – I used frozen sweet corn kernels for this recipe but you may use canned corn as well. But make sure to use kernels and not whole corn.
Pinto beans – do not use seasoned pinto beans. Simple canned pinto beans work best here.
Vegetable broth – I like to use low sodium broth but any broth work here even if its homemade.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Vegan Taco Soup
Firstly, I heated oil in a stockpot and sauteed lentils at medium flame in it for about 1 minute.
Secondly, I tossed in onion and garlic into it and mixed it well. Then, I tossed in tomatoes and let it cook covered until tomatoes were mushy. After which I mashed the tomatoes with the back of my spatula so all the ingredients are well blended.
Next, I added the seasonings to it along with the vegetables and mixed it well.
Thereafter, I folded in black beans and pinto beans into it along with cilantro. Then, I mixed it very well by scraping the bottom of the pan.
Afterwards, I poured in vegetable broth along with salt and stirred it well.
Then, I let it cook covered for 3-4 minutes until the lentils were soft.
Later, I turned off the flame and removed the lid. Then, I stirred in lemon juice.
Lastly, I ladled it in the soup bowls and garnished with chopped avocado, vegan cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. You may also add sliced olives and vegan sour cream desired.
It was super delicious and we all heartily enjoyed our diner. Even my kids loved it so much and they wanted me to make it again.
What to serve
- Make sure to sauté lentils at medium flame or else it will start sticking at the bottom immediately.
- It is important to cook tomatoes until its mushy so you can mash them with the back of your spatula for the best results.
Particularly for this one, I would not recommend thickening too much as its packed with protein. I have measured ingredients quite well for the right consistency.
This tastes best when served immediately. However, refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container without garnishes for about 1 week. Warm it well, garnish and serve.
I have used only 1 jalapeno along with its seeds for a kick. If you desire, you may remove the seeds of jalapeno and then chop and add to this soup so as to reduce its spice. However, this soup is not very spicy and that little spiciness adds a lot of flavors to it.
My other vegan soup recipes
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Vegan Taco Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red lentils (rinsed)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 whole jalapeno (finely chopped with seeds)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen/canned)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 15 oz canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 oz canned pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt as per taste
- lemon juice as per taste
- Heat oil in a stockpot or a saucepan at high flame. Then, bring the flame to medium heat and sauté rinsed lentils in it for 1 minute or until it looks slightly toasted.
- Add onion and garlic to it and sauté again for 1 minute followed by the tomatoes. Mix and cook covered for 2 minutes at medium-high flame until tomatoes are mushy. Remove the lid and mash the tomatoes with the back of the spatula and mix all the ingredients in the pan.
- Now, add taco seasoning, cumin powder, jalapeno, red bell pepper and corn to it. Mix well at medium flame.
- Toss in cilantro, black beans and pinto beans to it and mix very well (scraping from the bottom) at medium flame.
- Add vegetable broth and salt to it. Stir and cook covered for 3-4 minutes at medium-high flame. Remove the lid and check if the lentils are soft. It is done if lentils have softened. Turn off the flame and stir in few drops of lemon juice. Ladle in your soup bowl and garnish as per your choice and enjoy!
- This recipe taste best when served immediately. However, leftovers can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about 1 week. Warm it well and garnish before serving.
- Do not use canned lentils in this recipe. Use dry red lentils but make sure to rinse it well in a colander.
- The nutritional value is provided without the garnishes. It will vary depending on your choice of garnishes.