It was a cold rainy Saturday evening with beautiful droplets on my patio, the temperatures were going down and I was cuddled in a couch with my favorite blanket. I was listening to my favorite soft melodious numbers and the sound of the rain droplets added to the music. Somewhere in my mind the bell was ringing Sss! Sss! Soup! Hot spicy Soup! The thought made me crave for it. I looked at my husband who was also happily cuddled and we exchanged a knowing look and smiled at each other. He was craving for the same. My daughter was happily dancing to the tunes and enjoyed every moment of the rain.
I looked into my refrigerator and saw the baby carrots sitting in the fresh produce drawer and some cooked leftover amaranth on the top shelf. I knew what I wanted to cook that evening. A whole some healthy meal came to my mind immediately and Spicy Carrot Amaranth Soup was created.
The moment I added cinnamon stick to the warm oil my house was full of fragrance and made me hungrier. The sage leaves gave a tangy flavor to the soup and the garlic added to the flavor of the appetizing soup. With the coconut milk and hemp seeds I added to the nutrition of the soup. One bowl of Spicy Carrot Amaranth Soup satisfied my happy tummy and my family as well.
- Heat oil in a nonstick sauce pan and add cinnamon stick. Immediately, add sage leaves and garlic and sauté for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until translucent. Add baby carrots and mix well.
- Add vegetable stock and cayenne pepper. Mix and cover. Cook until it is properly boiled and the carrots are semi soft.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool until it is ready to be put into the blender.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the soup and blend until smooth.
- Strain and again put the soup in the sauce pan and turn on the flame.
- At the first boil add cooked amaranth and salt. Mix well.
- After couple of more boil simmer the flame and add coconut milk. Mix well and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with hemp seeds and serve hot.
Note: Fresh garlic can also be used in this recipe.
Can garnish with your favorite cheese also.
This is a spicy soup but if you like your soup to be less spicy then adjusts the cayenne pepper according to taste.
Chili powder can also be substituted for cayenne pepper.