These Vegan Applesauce Brownies are perfectly chewy in texture with being fudgy and soft at the same time. Its oil free, sugar free and made with fiber rich oat flour. It’s the easiest and the most delicious dessert made with fresh juicy fruit.
Applesauce is the most versatile ingredient and is a perfect egg and oil replacer in any dessert. If your apples are sweet then it helps in reducing the sugar content of the dessert as well.
So, I came up with these perfect healthy applesauce brownies with a nice chocolate flavor and a prominent taste of apples.
But since its fall and apples are in season, I had to make these oil free vegan brownies with applesauce.
We love brownies and often I like to include seasonal produce in it. Therefore, this time I made vegan applesauce brownies.
However, I wanted to make apple brownies. While testing this recipe I ended up making lots of applesauce. At the same time these vegan brownies tasted a lot better with applesauce instead of just fresh apples.
Therefore, I am here to share this applesauce brownies recipe with you today.
Ingredients for brownies with applesauce
Dairy free chocolate chips
Unsweetened cocoa powder
I have used these easily available ingredients which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
Apples – these are the healthiest fruit that’s low in calories and deliciously juicy to eat. Its versatile as well and kids love it in any form.
Maple syrup – it’s a healthier sweetener. Just make sure to sure the pure maple syrup so read its label carefully.
Cinnamon powder – its easily available in the spice section and adds a nice fall flavor to these homemade brownies made with applesauce.
Cardamom powder – this compliments the sweetener making it smoother in taste and brings out a great aroma.
Chocolate chips – I used dairy free mini chocolate chips which I easily available and is less sweetened also.
Oat flour – it’s a low GI food ingredient with lots of health benefits. It’s a great source of iron and fiber along with being complex carbohydrate. You may use store bought one or grind your own from the rolled oats.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card.
How to make Vegan Applesauce Brownies
Step1: how to make applesauce
Firstly, I peeled the apple and chopped it roughly.
Secondly, in a saucepan I combined it with maple syrup, cinnamon and cardamom and started cooking it on a high flame.
Next, I kept mixing it at intervals scraping from the bottom until the apple pieces were soft.
Then, I turned it off and let it cool down.
Later, I blended it smooth and kept it aside.
Step2: how to make the batter
Firstly, I melted the chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute.
Secondly, I added cocoa powder to it and whipped it vigorously making sure it all combined well.
Thereafter, I mixed in the prepared applesauce, vanilla extract and more maple syrup to it.
Afterwards, I folded in oat flour, baking powder and salt to it.
Next, I whipped it up into a soft batter.
Step3: how to bake
In this step I spooned out the batter in the prepared brownie pan or an 8-inch square baking dish.
Then, I spread it evenly with a flat spatula and garnished it with more sliced apples and chopped walnuts.
Next, I placed it in the middle rack of the preheated oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes or until my tester came out almost clean.
Thereafter, I turned off the oven and took it out immediately. Then, I placed it flat in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to cool it down.
Lastly, I took it out of the refrigerator and pulled out the parchment paper gently along with the dessert.
I sliced it and we all enjoyed this chocolatey treat happily and satisfyingly.
Therefore, I insist you to try these apple brownies and enjoy it with your loved ones.
- Make sure to cool it down in the refrigerator for a fudgy and chewy texture.
- It is important that the toothpick which you insert in it to test should not come out very clean. It should be little sticky and must have crumbs in it. So, check it at 20 minutes, then at 22 minutes and finally at 25 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Most importantly, mix in cocoa powder while the melted chocolate is still hot. This gives it a nice texture and chocolate flavor.
Well, every time I bake them, its gone the same day, But refrigerate the slices in an air tight container for about 2 weeks. Warm it up in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and enjoy.
Yes! Its oil free and sweetened mostly naturally. I made it with oat flour and with minimum ingredients.
It has a chocolatey taste with a chewy texture. It also has a distinct apple taste along with mild spices.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
You may also check my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Vegan Applesauce Brownies
- 5-6 thin slices of apple
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
To make applesauce
- Chop apple and combine it with 2 tbsp. maple syrup, cinnamon and cardamom in a saucepan. Turn on the flame and let it cook for 3-4 minutes or until the apple pieces are soft. Keep mixing at intervals to make sure its not overcooked. Turn it off and let it cool down. Once cooled blend it smooth and keep it aside.
To make brownies
- Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a 6 inch or an 8-inch square baking dish with a parchment paper.
- In a microwavable bowl combine chocolate chips and microwave it for 1 minute. Take it out and whip it with a spoon making sure it is melted properly. Add cocoa powder to it while the melted chocolate is hot. Whip it nicely.
- Now, fold in the blended applesauce to it. Add vanilla extract and 1 tbsp. maple syrup to it and stir nicely.
- Fold in oat flour, baking powder and salt to it and whip it into a soft batter.
- Spoon it out in the prepared baking dish and spread/shape it evenly with a flat spatula. Top it with thin sliced apples and2 tbsp. chopped walnuts. Place it in the middle rack of the oven and bake it for20-25 minutes or until the tester comes out almost clean.
- Turn it off and take it out. Immediately place it flat in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to cool down. Take it out and pull it out gently along with the parchment paper. Slice and enjoy.
- How to store: let it cool down completely and slice them. Then, refrigerated the slices in an air tight container for about 2 weeks.
- How to reheat – place the slices on a microwavable plate and microwave at high for 10-20 seconds.
- The thickness of the brownies will depend on the size of your brownie pan/baking dish. If you decide for a 9 inch square then bake it for only 18 minutes and also the brownies would be flatter comparatively.
- You may use store bought oat flour or grind your own with the rolled oats. But measure it after grinding.
- This recipe makes about 9 slices and the serving size is 1 slice per person.