These oil free and sugar free vegan Banana Brownies are fudgy and chocolatey in every bite. It’s soft, chewy with a crunchy texture from walnuts. It’s a perfect snack or dessert to satisfy the sweet cravings in a healthier way.
Brownies are our favorite and I frequently bake a variety of them. I have found my new interest in healthy baking and these are my recent favorite.
However, this one bowl banana brownies have topped my chart recently.
So delicious, so gooey, and so amazing in every bite. It satisfies us every time we indulge in its slice.
It is sweetened mainly with the fruit. After I topped these easy banana brownies with the fruit slices it looked beautiful to present and even tastier with those bites. Moreover, they are perfect for all ages.
My other brownie recipes that you may like are:
Sweet Potato Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownies
Pomegranate Frosted Flourless Brownies
Caramelized Pear Coffee Brownies
However, coming back to this chocolate banana brownies it is made with simple pantry ingredients and in very easy steps. However, it is important to stick to the measurements and the steps to get to the right texture and taste.
My family and friends have been raving while taste testing these and so here I am to share this banana brownies recipe with you.
Ingredients you will need:
Instant coffee powder
Whole wheat flour
I have used these easily available ingredients in my recipe which you may buy from any local grocery stores. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipe for you all.
Banana – it’s the main ingredient this recipe. It high in potassium and when its ripe it is packed with iron content. It a great source of fiber too. Moreover, it’s a natural way to sweeten any dessert. I have used ripe bananas here with brown spots. Over ripe or firm bananas may not work in these brownies well so make sure to let the bananas ripen before to bake these bananas.
Flaxmeal – it’s a great egg substitute with healthy fats and fiber. It helps in binding and works perfectly in this recipe.
Almond milk – you may use oat milk, cashew milk, hemp milk or any other milk except coconut milk in this recipe.
Cocoa powder – make sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder. I usually like Hershey’s but you may use any of your choice.
Instant coffee powder – this compliment the cocoa powder in this brownie recipe and adds to its chocolaty taste. Instant coffee powder is easily available and you may use any of your choice.
Whole wheat flour – I like to use healthy grains and flour in my recipes so I used fiber rich whole wheat flour here. However, you may use all purpose flour as well in the same measurement.
Walnuts – this adds crunch to these brownies and lot of nutrition too. Walnuts are low in calories comparatively and have healthy fats. Along with decreasing inflammation these support weight control and lowers blood pressure.
After going through the ingredients in detail all you have to do is go through the steps thoroughly.
It is important to follow this recipe step wise as explained to get the right fudgy texture and delicious chewy bites.
So, I insist you to please stick to the recipe as explained and I promise you will love these vegan yet healthy brownies with banana.
How to make Banana Brownies
Step1: how to mash
Firstly, I let the bananas ripe until they had brown spots on the skin.
Secondly, I peeled them and placed in a large mixing bowl.
Next, with the help of a fork or a food masher, I mashed those bananas extremely well until there were no lumps and they were sticky.
Step2: how to make the batter
Firstly, I added soaked flaxmeal in the mashed banana. Then, with the help of an electric hand mixer I beat it at low speed until it was well blended.
Secondly, I added maple syrup vanilla extract and beat it again at low speed for 30 seconds.
Next, I poured in milk and beat it for 30 seconds at low speed.
Thereafter, I added cocoa powder and coffee powder to it. Then, I beat it with the hand electric mixer at medium speed for 4-5 minutes or until a chocolatey liquid batter was formed.
Afterwards, I added whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt to it. Then, I beat it again at a low speed until a smooth batter was formed.
Lastly, I folded in chopped walnuts and mixed well.
Step3: how to bake
Firstly, I poured the batter at the center of the prepared square baking dish.
Secondly, I tapped it a bit so that the batter spreads evenly and shaped as per the baking dish.
Next, I topped with crushed walnuts.
Lastly, I decorated it with sliced banana.
Then, I placed it in the middle rack of the pre-heated oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit oven and baked it for 35 minutes.
Once done, I turned it off and took it out of the oven and let it cool down at room temperature.
We did not wait for it to further cool down because we were starving for it. Its delicious aroma was all over my kitchen making us drool over these banana brownies and immediately sliced them. They were gooey and fudgy but trust me, if you have patience then please wait for it to cool down. You will enjoy it thoroughly.
Usually, I never have leftovers but this time I decided to save some and refrigerated for the next day.
I warmed them in the microwave and topped with dollops of vegan vanilla ice cream and some more chopped walnuts.
It was an instant hit and my friends could not even believe that these banana bread brownies were vegan.
- It is important to mash the banana as much as possible so that there are no lumps for the batter to bake properly and that there are no clumps after baking.
- Make sure to beat the cocoa powder well or else might taste bitter.
- Soak the flaxmeal ahead of time so that it thickens and absorbs liquid as much as possible to get the soft and fluffy brownies.
These can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about 3 weeks. Microwave and serve with vegan vanilla ice cream or eat it as is.
I made them oil free, sugar free and moreover with very little flour. I used whole wheat flour to bind which is healthier and is fiber rich. Overall, these are healthier snack or dessert to satisfy sweet cravings without guilt.
They don’t taste like banana for sure unless you bite on the decorated slices. It tastes like any other brownie but has more strong chocolate flavor to it. Its mildly sweetened and is soft and fluffy with a crunch of walnuts.
It has a perfect fudgy brownie texture and yet it is soft and fluffy along with being chewy in every bite. However, it is definitely different than the store-bought ones.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make these healthy banana brownies then please leave your feedback in the comments along with the star ratings.
In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your remake images or follow me on Facebook for frequent updates.
Check out my cookbooks for more delicious everyday vegan recipes.
- 1 tbsp crushed walnuts
- 1 ripe banana (sliced length wise)
- Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and prepare an 8 inch square baking pan by first greasing it and then sticking a parchment to it. In a large mixing bowl mash 3 bananas with a fork or a food masher.
- Add soaked flaxmeal to it and beat it with a hand electric mixture at low speed (about 1 minute).
- Add maple syrup and vanilla extract to it and beat it again with hand electric mixer (about 30 seconds). Pour almond milk to it and beat it again for 30 seconds.
- Add cocoa powder and coffee powder to it and beat it at medium speed with the hand electric mixer for about 4 -5 minutes or until cocoa powder blends in well.
- Now, add whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Beat it for 1 minute at low speed with the hand electric mixer.
- Lastly, fold in chopped walnuts and mix well with a spatula.
- Pour this batter at the center of the prepared baking dish. Tap it a bit so that the batter spreads evenly in the pan and top it with crushed walnuts. Gently place the sliced banana on it and place the baking dish in the middle rack of the oven. Bake it for 35 minutes. Once baked, take it out and let it cool down at room temperature. It might be slightly undone at this stage which is normal. Let it cool down at room temperature for 15 minutes. Gently pull out the parchment paper along with the brownies and lay it on a flat surface. Let it cool down for 15 minutes more minutes at room temperature. This will help settling down the brownies. Slice and enjoy as is or with vegan vanilla ice cream.
- You may whip up the batter with a spatula but electric hand mixer helps in bringing out the best texture of its batter. Also, its quicker and easier with hand electric mixture.
- You may use oat milk, hemp milk, cashew milk or any milk of your choice except for coconut milk.
- Maple syrup may be substituted with brown sugar.
- Whole wheat flour may be substitute with all purpose flour if desired.
- Over ripe bananas are not need for this recipe but they should be ripe with brown spots. Or else the sweetness may vary since I have used minimum maple syrup here.
- Try to soak flaxmeal before starting with the recipe. It should be soaked well and should float at the top. If it still sediments in water or sinks down then stir and let it soak for some more time until it thickens.
- This recipe makes about 9 large brownie slices or 16 small brownie slices.
- I have provided the nutritional information for 9 slices. The nutritional info for 16 small slices would be would be – calories: 97 fat:3g carb: 8g protein:2g.