Warm, crisp and chewy, this mildly sweetened Air Fryer Apple Dumplings Recipe is a delicious Fall treat! Its outer covering is made with whole grain oat flour and stuffed with cinnamon maple soaked fruit with a hint of cardamom.
I fancied apple dumplings as a kid and was always intrigued by the way it was made and presented. I started craving them this year for some reason and decided to come up with the traditional comforting dessert with a healthier twist.
However, I wanted to come up with its recipe from scratch. So, I went for innumerable practices and made sure it fits to almost every taste that I know by taste testing with friends and family.
Therefore, I am here to share my new creation for this Fall season.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Apple Dumplings Recipe
For the stuffing
Red delicious apples
For the dough
Powdered sugar (optional)
I have used all these easily available ingredients which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which encourages me to bring more delicious recipes for you all.
- Apples – they are the star of my recipe and moreover it’s a Fall and winter fruit.
- Maple syrup – this gives a subtle sweetness and is less processed as compared to any sugar.
- Cinnamon powder – this complement here well and makes this dessert aromatic and delectable
- Cardamom powder – it complements well with cinnamon powder and helps maintain a subtle sweet aroma and taste after baking or air frying.
- Oat flour – it’s whole grain in nature and high in fiber. Its one of the nutritious ingredients that fits into most of the diets. It’s a healthier substitute to regular flour and pairs well in this recipe in totality.
- Coconut flour – this helps to bring out a nice fall flavor very similar to pumpkin pie spice. It also adds a bit of texture after baking with its healthy fats. This coconut flour allowed me to make these apple dumplings absolutely oil free and butter free thereby saving on lot of added fats.
So, you must have realized by now that these easy apple dumplings are genuinely made from simple ingredients. I must tell you that its easy and requires very few steps. Simply follow the instructions properly and you will fall in love them.
How to make Air Fryer Apple Dumplings Recipe
Firstly, I combined all the stuffing in a mixing bowl and let them soak for a few minutes.
Secondly, I combined all the dry ingredients of the dough and mixed it well with a spoon.
Next, gradually, I started adding dairy free milk to it forming a smooth dough.
Thereafter, I divided the dough into 5 equal parts. Then, I took one part of the dough and rolled on a flat surface with the help of a rolling pin.
Afterwards, I stuffed it with 1-2 tbsp of the stuffing at the center and gently brought the flat dough together like a flower shape binding from all sides simultaneously.
Then, I immediately placed them in the air fryer basket. Later, I brushed all of the dumplings with the remaining cinnamon maple mixture.
Later, I attached the air fryer basket with the air fryer and air fried them at 350 degree for 15 minutes or until crispy golden.
Lastly, I garnished with some powdered sugar.
These homemade apple dumplings were gone within minutes. On popular demand of my family, I make these dumplings every week since we have a huge apple tree and its insanely flourishing.
I usually like to make my recipes from scratch and these apple dumplings are made from scratch with healthy dough ingredients.
Trust me, its very easy to make the dough and it will take only minutes to make it. You will be surprised how nutritious, delicious and is super simple to make this dumpling dough.
- After making the dough make sure to start rolling and stuffing immediately. Or else the dough would start to dry up and cracks would develop.
- While bringing the dumpling together in a flower shape, make sure to hold it from all sides and then bring it together while constantly binding from all sides. Once air fried, they will be become firm and crispy.
- Timing is a big factor here so make sure your stuffing is ready before the dough.
Just follow these simple tips and you will enjoy making it and even enjoy seeing your loved ones liking these oil free apple dumplings.
These are best when served immediately. However, you may refrigerate the stuffing overnight and bring it room temperature before starting with this recipe.
Yes, I have provided the details in the notes below under the recipe card.
If you have refrigerated the leftovers in a container then simply toast it in an oven toast or air fry it again for few minutes before serving.
You may make them ahead of time and keep them in the Air Fryer itself. Just before serving air fry them again for a few minutes. Garnish and serve.
Mostly, you will find Granny Smith apples in many recipes but since I made the dumpling cover from scratch and with healthy whole grains, I found red delicious apples to be the most compatible in this recipe. Therefore, I would insist you on using red delicious apples here for the best results.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may also tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe image because we would like to see what you cooked.
If you desire to explore more of my delicious recipes then you may checkout my cookbooks.
Air Fryer Apple Dumplings Recipe
For the Stuffing
For the dough
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar (optional)
- In a mixing bowl combine all the stuffing ingredients, mix and let it soak.
- In another mixing bowl combine oat flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt and mix well with a spoon until there are no lumps. Then gradually add oat milk starting with ¼ cup and increasing thereafter, make the dough with your hands until they bind and forms a smooth dough.
- Now, divide the dough into 5 equal parts. On a flat surface, roll one portion of it with the help of a rolling pin. (do not over do this step). The rolled dough should no break but its ok to have uneven sides. Quickly place the stuffing (about 1-2 tbsp.) at its center.
- Gently, with the help of your hands, hold the rolled dough from all sides and bring it together in a flower shape trying to bind from all sides as much as possible. Place it in the air fryer basket immediately. Repeat the same steps for the rest of the dough. Now, with the help of a brush rub the remaining maple syrup on the outer covering of these dumplings evenly.
- Attach the air fryer basket to the air fryer and air fry at 350 degree for 15 minutes or until its golden brown and crispy. Garnish with powdered sugar and serve.
- You may also bake them in a preheated oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit for 40 minutes or until golden brown in color and crispy.
- I made 5 regular size dumplings but you may make 10 bite size dumplings out this recipe also.
- The serving size is 1 regular size dumpling per person.
- The nutritional value without powdered sugar: calories – 174 Fat-3g Carb-37g protein4g.