Roasted Sweet Potatoes in Creamy Habanero Sauce is a delectable and comforting meal. Its made with simple ingredients yet it is amazingly delicious. Its a 20 minute vegan and gluten free meal.
Recently, I was at a Mexican restaurant and tried habanero sauce over which I totally drooled. I have never tried habanero peppers earlier because my family doesn’t prefer too spicy food and so I like to cook mild – medium spiced level recipes.
But this one was mind blowing and irresistible so I grabbed a handful of these beautiful peppers. I kept them in my refrigerator for couple of days being skeptical of what to cook and how to cook since I have never handled them before.
Finally, after lot of thinking I came up with Roasted Sweet Potatoes in Creamy Habanero Sauce.
The first time when I started playing around with these peppers in my kitchen I forgot to wear my gloves. Bummer! I could feel the heat all over my fingers and absentmindedly touched my face and that’s it.
So,I realize these peppers need to be handled carefully because they are real fiery in flavor. The next day I was cautious in handling these peppers .
I deseeded them first but accidentally used them in quite good quantity for the sauce. Looked amazing, aromatic but fiery in taste.
Finally in my third attempt I came up with the right flavor and spice level. In all these processes I learnt one thing that food can be fun and interesting yet a roller coaster ride.
While I was trying to make the perfect Creamy Habanero Sauce I felt the excitement of riding on a roller coaster ride . At the same time I could not stop myself from riding it. Working with peppers became an adventurous ride in my attempts to come up with a delicious and a perfect recipe.
Ingredients for Roasted Sweet Potatoes in Creamy Habanero Sauce
For the sauce
Dairy free milk
How to make Creamy Habanero Sauce
For the sauce, I blended habanero peppers (deseeded), cashew nuts, dairy free milk, garlic and some carrots to bring the tinge of orange color as well some sweetness to mellow down the peppery taste. I kept it aside.
How to make assemble Roasted Sweet Potatoes in Creamy Habanero Sauce
- Firstly, I heated oil in non stick pan and sauteed garlic in it.
- Secondly I tossed in sweet potatoes and roasted until they were soft and yet brown.
- Next, I poured the sauce on them and seasoned with salt and sugar
- Lastly, I simmered only for couple of minutes and served immediately with steamed rice.
The entrée looked stunning and mouthwatering. My flavors came out right. I got the hang of cooking with these beauties.
I am so obsessed with these peppers that I cook them every other day. So don’t be surprise if I bombard you with more habanero pepper recipes 🙂
You may also like:
Habanero Parsley Tofu Curry Casserole
Vegan Habanero Cauliflower Spaghetti
Tempeh Parmesan Burger with Habanero Dip
Peanut Butter Sweet Potato Cookies
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we love to see what you cooked.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes in Creamy Habanero Sauce
For the sauce
- 2 whole habanero peppers (stemmed and deseeded)
- 1/4 cup raw cashew nuts
- Pinch of dried garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 3/4 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp brown sugar
- In a blender combine all the ingredients of the sauce and blend it until smooth and creamy. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add minced garlic to it. Immediately add sweet potatoes and let it cook on a medium flame until soft.
- Once the sweet potatoes are softened pour the habanero sauce on it in the same pan and season with salt and sugar.
- Mix gently, and let it cook for a minute or until the first boil ( Do not overcook the sauce or it will start drying up).
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.
- This entrée is very spicy so feel free to add more sugar and or salt as per your palate.
- If you want more spicy you may use 3 habanero peppers instead of 2 depending on your palate. be careful while handling these peppers. I would highly recommend you to wear gloves when handling them.
- Preferably cashew milk should be used but coconut milk or any dairy free milk can be used.
- If you make this entree way ahead of time, the sauce might thicken. a bit. Then, just before serving simply add little more dairy free milk according to your choice of consistency adjust the salt and sugar and serve warm. (Do not cook at this point, just warm it a bit).
Andrea Tersigni says
On my !!!! The habanero cream sauce is beyond spicy delicious. I have been using the sauce on sweet potatoes, black bean burritos, vegan pizza (for the ‘cheez element) and anything that can use a creamy kick !!!! I use dry habaneros when fresh are not available. You just need to add a bit more liquid. Keeps on the refrigerator for at least 10 days. Thank you !!!!!!!!!
Bobbi | Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen says
OhhEmmmGeeee that sauce sounds amazeballs!!
This looks soooo good! I need to try making this!
Kimberly @ Berly's Kitchen says
Yum! What a great combination of flavors. I’ve never thought of putting a spicy sauce on sweet potatoes.
Oh my this looks so good. I love sweet potatoes.
OMG This looks so good! My kids will love this! they love sweet potatoes but I keep recreating the same old recipe. Thanks for posting this one!
Chrissa - Physical Kitchness says
My hubs would love this!! Habaneros are his best friend – the more kick the better. Going to try with coconut milk!
Let me know how it turned out for you guys. 🙂
Sophie Gillum-Webb says
This looks delicious! I need to have a go at re creating this! Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe!!
Thank you Sophie.
Ruthie Ridley says
My family would love this!!! DIVINE!
Thank you Ruthie. If you get a chance to cook this recipe do remember to leave your feedback.