This delicious Air Fryer Eggplant is crunchy and crispy vegan appetizer with utmost comforting taste. It’s a great snack for all ages and is packed with nutrition. It’s dipped into chickpea flour batter and rolled into panko crumbs and finished with vegan cheese.
Eggplants in a chips form and that too oil free is like a dream come true. I am absolutely zapped by its versatility.
I have only eaten it in baigan bharta style or dip style but this form of air fryer eggplant parmesan is another level altogether.
While I was testing this recipe, the entire batch kept vanishing. For the first time I did not have to worry about taste testing. My family constantly munched on them.
Moreover, these were so crunchy just like chips that they could not figure out that it was a vegetable and that too eggplants.
It was a win win situation for me as I got to feed my family this nutritious veggie and I got great feedbacks from them.
Air fryer vegan spring rolls is one of my popular recipes.
But I am totally blown by my air fryer cookies which my daughters are crazy for too.
I also sometimes make avocado in air fryer to serve a unique appetizer to our guests.
I totally enjoyed innovating this eggplant recipe and its regular for us now.
However, today I am here to share this air fryer eggplant recipe with you all.
Ingredients you will need
Vegan parmesan cheese
I have used these easily available ingredients in this recipe which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links of few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
Eggplant – it is important to choose a medium sized regular eggplant and not the long thin Chinese style. The regular ones work best here. Eggplants are nutritious and helps improves heart health. Along with increasing brain functions this vegetable also promotes bone health.
Chickpea flour – its gluten free in nature and high in protein. Moreover, it is a pulse grain. It’s made from garbanzo beans or from gram chickpeas. Both works great in this recipe. Therefore, you may opt for garbanzo flour or besan (from Indian store).
Herbs – I used the dried herbs here for convenience and to avoid any extra moisture. However, you may use fresh herbs as well and they work excellent too.
Panko crumbs – its vegan and provides more crispiness to this eggplant recipe. Its great in taste and texture. Panko crumbs are basically Japanese style bread crumbs and brings out a great texture when eggplant is air fried.
Vegan parmesan cheese – I used the shredded style which was vegan and dairy free too. There are many varieties available.
Now, that you have read the details and uses and substitute of the important ingredients I am sure you are excited to get started with it.
I am also very excited for you. So, simply follow the steps in details now and then go ahead with this recipe ASAP.
How to make Air Fryer Eggplant
Step 1: how to slice eggplant
Firstly, I rinsed the eggplant/brinjal and wiped it dry with a kitchen towel.
Secondly, on a cutting board and with a sharp knife I cut in into round slices of about ¼ inch thickness.
Step2: how to make the batter
In this step I simply combined all the batter ingredients and whipped it with a spoon into a smooth batter.
Secondly, I kept panko crumbs ready on a flat plate and vegan cheese in a bowl.
Step3: how to assemble
Firstly, I dipped the sliced eggplant into the batter so that it coats well from all sides.
Secondly, I picked it up with a fork and rolled it into the panko crumbs.
Then, I placed it immediately in the air fryer basket.
Thereafter, I repeated the entire process until the basket was filled.
Step4: how to air fry
As soon as I placed the coated and rolled eggplant slices in the air fryer basket, I topped each slice generously with vegan shredded parmesan cheese.
Next, I attached the basket to the air fryer and turn it on at 350 degree for 12 minutes or until they were crispy.
I air fried the eggplants in 3 batches.
They came out excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed its crispy and crunchy texture.
Since, I came up with this recipe we never miss chips. This is a healthy replacement of chips and this idea makes me super happy.
Also, for those who prefer baking in a traditional way, I have good news for you.
I baked them in my oven and they came out really well and as perfect as the air fried ones.
I know that totally sounds exciting.
- Make sure to buy the eggplant that’s a bit hard and has no spots on its skin.
- It is important to dip its slice in the batter well and add a thick coat to it so that the end result is flavorful.
- Most importantly, the thinner the slices would be the crispier and quicker these will get ready. If by any chance the slices are thicker than mentioned air fry them for 3 more minutes so that they are cooked through inside.
These tastes best when served immediately.
You may prepare the batter and refrigerate overnight. Take it out of the refrigerator and bring it room temperature. Also, you may dip the slices into the batter and roll it in panko and place it on a flat surface for about an hour in the room temperature. When ready, place them in the basket and top with vegan cheese and air fry.
Yes, follow the same process. The only difference would be to place the slices on the prepared baking sheet that must be covered with parchment paper. Top them with vegan cheese and place it in the middle rack of the pre-heated oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit for 25 minutes or until crispy and golden brown in color.
Not in this recipe. We do not want eggplant to sweat or release any extra moisture. Therefore, just buy a hard and spotless eggplant for this recipe.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments along with a 5-star rating. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake image because we would love to see what you cooked.
You may also checkout my cookbook for everyday vegan comfort recipes.
Air Fryer Eggplant
- 1 medium regular eggplant
- Slice eggplant into round shape into ¼ inch thickness and keep them aside.
- In mixing bowl combine all the batter ingredients and whip it into a smooth batter. Keep panko ready in a separate large flat plate and parmesan cheese in a separate bowl.
- Now, dip the sliced eggplant into the batter and coat it well.
- With the help of a fork or a tong or fingers roll the batter eggplant into panko crumbs.
- Place it in the air fryer basket. Repeat the above steps for the rest of the eggplant slices and place them in the basket until the basket is full. Top each slice generously with parmesan cheese. (Depending on the size of your air fryer you ay have to do this in 2-3 batches).
- Attach the air fryer basket to the air fryer and turn it on at 350 degree for 12 minutes. Once done, turn it off and detach the basket. Take out the crispy eggplants and enjoy immediately with marinara sauce or ketchup.
- Oven option: After coating and rolling as in step 4 and step 5 place each eggplant slice in a cookie sheet / baking sheet that is covered with parchment paper. Place it in the preheated oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Once done, take it out and turn the oven off. Enjoy immediately.
- Depending on the size of your eggplant this recipe makes roughly 20 slices and the serving size is 4 slices each.
- I used small-medium sized eggplant in this recipe. If your eggplant is slightly on a larger side then you may also have to make another batch of the batter.
- Make sure to buy a bit firm eggplant which has no spots on its skin.