This easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie is a rich, creamy decadent dessert for your Thanksgiving menu! This classic comfort treat is made healthier with homemade gluten free crust, without eggs and no butter.
I think I waited too long to come up with my own pie crust that’s as good as the traditional one but healthier. This sweet potato pie crust oil free and from healthy ingredients and also sugar free.
My endeavor to make this vegan sweet potato pie with the healthiest ingredients yet closer to the same traditional taste was quite rewarding. Moreover, I was surprised that how easy a pie crust could be.
Recently, I made vegan banana cream pie earlier and I made it healthier too.
If you love chocolate then you must try me vegan chocolate pie.
However, I have to say that I was excited to discover I could make it in the food processor and then simply shape and bake.
I was delighted with the crisp crust and when I filled it with my sweet potato filling it looked beautiful.
Next, I wanted to make a homemade vegan cream to top it and make it more wholesome. Therefore, I blended my own sweetened cashew cream and voila….it worked excellent.
My family loved and approved it.
So, if you are looking to substitute pumpkin pie or simply add more pie varieties then this eggless sweet potato pie is definitely worth trying.
Its beautiful to present and absolutely satisfying in every bite.
Many vegan versions of sweet potato pie call for coconut cream or coconut milk but
I made this dairy free sweet potato pie without coconut. Therefore, it has the same authentic taste but its veganized and absolutely desirable.
Sweet potato has many health benefits and some of them are:
It’s a root vegetable packed with many nutrients and minerals. It helps to control the blood sugar. Therefore, it is excellent for diabetes. It also helps in managing cholesterol and therefore is heart friendly. This also helps lower inflammation which in turn helps in losing weight. Moreover, its high in fiber and is a great source of B vitamins.
Now, lets get started with this vegan sweet potato pie recipe
Ingredients for healthy sweet potato pie
For the crust
Brown rice flour
For the filling
For the cream topping
I have used these easily available ingredients which you may already have in your pantry or get them in any grocery store.
Dates – its high in fiber and is very healthy. This helps in binding the dough naturally and makes this crust healthier.
Oat flour – you may use a store bought one or grind your own. Gluten free or whole grain oat flour works well here. Its high in fiber and is a complex carbohydrate.
Brown rice flour – this adds a nice binding texture to the crust even though its gluten free. It has more fiber and nutrition as well. Also, it makes the crust a bit crunchier.
Oat milk – you may use almond milk instead as well but since oat milk is creamier it enhances the flavor of this entire sweet potato pie.
Maple syrup – I added this a little bit to give it a caramel taste and a nice texture.
Cashew nuts – this is the best nut to make your won homemade cream.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card.
How to make Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
Step1: how to make the crust
Firstly, I combined all the crust ingredients in the food processor and blend it into a dough like texture.
Secondly, I spooned it out on a prepared pie pan and shaped it with my hands as per the pan.
Then, I baked it in the middle rack of the pre-heated oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit for only 10 minutes.
Next, I took it out and placed it aside while keeping the oven on.
Step2: how to make the filling
In this step, I combined all the filling ingredients in the food processor and blended it smooth.
Once done, I spooned it out on the prepared pie crust.
Then, I spread it evenly with a spatula and baked it in the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
Later, I took it out of the oven and turned it off. Then I kept it aside.
Step3: how to make the cashew cream
Firstly, I combined all topping ingredients in a blender and blended it smooth until it was creamy in texture.
Secondly, I spooned it out on the baked pie and spread it at its center.
Lastly, I refrigerated it for 30 minutes and it was ready.
The moment I sliced it and served my family totally loved it and the entire pie was gone the same day.
Whoa……then I kept wondering about that I should have made and shared this earlier.
- When making the dough do not over blend. Just process until they start to stick to each other. Also, use your hands to shape it according to your pan.
- Make sure to grease your pie pan very nicely so that the slices can be lifted easily from the pan.
- For the topping, make sure to soak cashew nuts in warm water until they are very soft and you can crush them with your fingers. This helps in its creamy texture.
They taste best when served the same day. However, you may cover it with a cling wrapper in the same pie pan and refrigerate it for about 3 weeks. Reheat the slice in the toaster oven for 2 minutes and enjoy.
It has a nice crunch at its crust and a creamy soft filling with a nutty sweet topping. Overall, its a flavorful dessert that’s perfectly sweetened and baked into perfection.
Yes, it’s as flavorful and as beautiful to present and perfectly resembles the taste and texture of a pumpkin pie.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on those affiliate links and make a purchase then I might receive a small commission. Moreover, I only share those products that I personally love and use.
Other holiday desserts that you may like
Pecan pie bars
No bake vegan pumpkin bars
Vegan apple crisp
Where to find me:
Follow me on Facebook for regular updates or tag me @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake images. I love to see what you cooked.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
You may also checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
for the crust
- 1 cup pitted dates (soaked in warm water an drained)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oat milk
for the filling
- 1 large boiled and peeled sweet potato or 2 cups mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
for the topping
- 3/4 cup raw cashew nuts (soaked in warm water and drained)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 cup oat milk
- Preheat oven at 350 degree and grease the baking pie pan very well.
to make crust
- Combine all the crust ingredients in a food processor and pulse it or blend it into until it starts to stick to each other or becomes almost like a dough.
- Take it out and place it on the greased pie pan. Shape it in a pie shape covering the pie pan nicely and bake it in the middle rack of the oven for 10 minutes. (Do not overbake it). Take it out and let the oven be on. Keep it aside.
to make the filling
- In the same food processor combine all the filling ingredients and blend it until smooth.
- Spoon it out on the baked crust and spread it evenly with a flat spatula.
- Place it again in the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 30 minutes. Take it out and keep it aside. Turn off the oven.
to make the topping
- In a blender combine all the topping ingredients and blend it until very smooth and creamy like texture.
- Spoon it out as the last layer of topping at the center of the pie. Spread it at the center. Do not cover the entire pie. Just the large and thick round layer at the center.
- Place the entire pie in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to settle.
- Take it out, sprinkle some more cinnamon powder if desired. Slice and enjoy.
- Make sure to soak cashew nuts in a very hot water for at least 10 minutes. Test its softness by trying it to crush with your fingers.
- The leftover pie can be refrigerated in the same pie pan covered with cling wrap or aluminum foil for about 3-4 weeks. Enjoy it cold or simply warm it up a bit in the toaster oven for 2 minutes to bring it to room temperature.
- Make sure to use a very large sweet potato to make a thick layer of pie.
- you may fill a microwavable bowl with some water about half of the bowl. Cut the sweet potato into two or four big pieces and place them in the water bowl. Now, microwave it for 10 minutes. Take it out and check if its still firm microwave at high for 15 minutes.
- You may boil in an Indian pressure cooker on stove top. Fill your pressure cooker with water and pace the sweet potato. Give it 4-5 whistles. Turn it off and let it release its pressure on its own. Open and drain.
- If using instant pot then add about 2 cups water and sweet potato in it. Close the lid and seal the valve. Turn it on at high manual for 10 minutes. Let it release its pressure on its own.
- If you are boiling it in a stock pot on the stove top then add sweet potato and add water until the potatoes are covered with water. Let it boil until tender.
Leave a Reply