This 4 ingredient Watermelon Ice Cream recipe is a no churn summer dessert. It’s a simple vegan delight for all ages. Healthy and light yet packed with refreshing delicious flavors.
I am personally a fan of watermelon. Every season my refrigerator is stocked with this fruit.
In fact, my entire family makes a meal out of it every summer.
Its hydrating, refreshing and a healthier way to satisfy sweet cravings.
However, this time I thought of coming up with a recipe that’s frozen, kid friendly and yet healthy. So, what can be better than a homemade watermelon ice cream.
Yay!!! At this simple idea my kids were excited and got into my kitchen to start the process.
Even though I have an ice cream maker I wanted to innovate a vegan ice cream recipe that’s simple and possible for everyone.
Therefore, I created this no churn watermelon ice cream.
Basically, it’s a hybrid between a sorbet and an ice cream because I wanted a distinct taste of the fruit and kids loved the touch of dairy free milk.
Therefore, I combined everyone’s choice of ingredients and experimented it.
The end result was fantastic and absolutely delectable and flavorsome.
However, today I am here to share this watermelon ice cream recipe.
Ingredients you will need:
I have used these easily available ingredients which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
Watermelon – I used a firm watermelon and yet sweet. I prefer the seedless ones because that’s easy to handle. This fruit is hydrating, lowers inflammation, improves heart health and helps relieve muscle soreness. Moreover, after my workouts I like to replenish myself with fresh watermelon on sunny days.
Oat milk – I tried with other dairy free milk but oat milk works the best here. It provides a nice creamy texture to this ice cream and yet maintains a distinct taste of the fruit.
Maple syrup – I tested this recipe with date only. Then, I tried the combination of dates and maple syrup also. But it tastes best with only maple syrup.
Now, that you have gone through the ingredients in details I am sure you are excited to make this recipe and enjoy with your loved ones.
I am also excited for you and so waiting to see what you come up with.
So, grab your ingredients and a food processor and check out the steps.
How to make Watermelon Ice Cream
Step1: how to freeze watermelon
Firstly, I removed the skin of watermelon and cut into medium sized chunks.
Secondly, I placed them in a Ziploc bag and gently laid them flat in the freezer overnight.
Step2: how to blend and freeze
In this step, I took out the frozen watermelon chunks and immediately placed them in the food processor along with all the other ingredients.
Next, I processed them until it formed a smooth and creamy frozen style treat.
I kept scraping from the sides at intervals while in the food processor at intervals.
Once done, I spooned it out in loaf pan and placed it in the freezer for about 3 hours.
Later, I scooped it out with an ice cream scoop and enjoyed it thoroughly with my family.
In fact, my girls loved it so much that they finished the entire batch in one sitting and demanded me to make it more.
So next time they became my sous chef and we all had fun making this delicious creamy watermelon ice cream.
- Make sure to freeze the fruit in Ziploc bag. This way the chunks do not stick to each other. Or else in a box the chunks will stick making it hard to handle it.
- When you buy watermelon make sure it’s hard and firm and yet sweet.
- Take out watermelon from the freezer only when you are ready to blend. It should be immediately blended so as to get the right texture.
I must insist you on trying this watermelon ice cream without ice cream maker. You won’t believe how easy and quick this summer dessert can be prepared.
Moreover, its hassle free and so perfect for all ages.
This can be in the freezer for about 2 weeks.
It has a distinct taste of watermelon along with being creamy because of oat milk. This also has a balanced sweetness to it. Therefore, it’s not overly sweetened but its at the right point.
Yes! There are 2 ways to do it. You may either blend frozen watermelon and then again place it in the ice cream to churn and enjoy immediately. Or else, skip freezing the watermelon and blend all the ingredients in a blender. Pour it in the ice cream and churn as per your manufacturer’s instructions. Once you get the desired consistency spoon it out in a loaf pan and freeze it for 3 hours.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments along with a 5-star rating. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake image because we would love to see what you cooked.
You may also checkout my cookbook for everyday vegan comfort recipes.
Watermelon Ice Cream
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and grind until its smooth and creamy.
- Spoon it out in a loaf pan and freeze it for at least 3 hours and until it is frozen to your desired consistency.
- Scoop with an ice cream scoop and enjoy.
- It stays fresh in the freezer for 2-3 weeks.
- To freeze watermelon – make sure to buy firm watermelon but sweet. Then cut into chunks. Drain the excess liquid and place the chunks in a Ziploc back. Gently, place them flat in the freezer making sure there are no obstacles. Also, do not place anything on it. Let it freeze overnight. When ready take it out and grind immediately as directed.
- Ice cream maker option:
- Follow step 1 from the instructions and churn it into your ice cream maker and enjoy immediately.
- Skip freezing the watermelon and blend all the ingredients in a blender. Then, churn in your ice cream as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Once reach the desired consistency of being frozen and creamy and smooth, spoon it out in a loaf pan and freeze again for 2-3 hours or until well frozen.