With all the raincoats and overcoats displaying in the stores my 2 year old figured out that in few weeks summer would end. Suddenly she decided to indulge in Popsicles even more than usual and that is her way to enjoy every bit of summer. This concerned me because of her consumption of too much food color and too much sugar and I was thinking deeply on how to introduce a new variety of healthy Popsicle into her dessert diet.Just then she brought a banana and some chocolate chips to me. I was surprised with her action and was wondering what she wanted me to do. She then took out the blender machine from one of the kitchen cabinets. Initially, I thought either she wanted a smoothie or a banana shake. But wait, I was wrong, she wanted a Popsicle. 🙂 I couldn’t stop smiling and immediately it struck me to create Baked Banana Chocolate Popsicles.
I decided to give my Popsicle recipe a twist by caramelizing the bananas to add a different flavor to it. To control her chocolate chip consumption and yet not depriving my baby of her desires I decided to add the chocolate chips at the last stage of freezing so that with minimum pieces and calories I can add chocolate flavor to the Popsicles. It turned out to be delicious and she now eats 2 Popsicles at a time. 🙂
This time my daughter decided the ingredients for the Baked Banana Chocolate Popsicles and I must say I have a chef in the making at my home. 🙂
- Preheat the oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit. Prepare the cookie sheet with a liner/parchment paper.
- Slice the bananas in round shape and drizzle 1 tbsp honey over it, cover the bananas with aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Take it out and keep the banana covered and let it cool to room temperature. Make sure to keep it covered to avoid the banana getting oxidized/brown.
- In a blender add the milk, baked banana along with the honey, and another 1 tbsp honey, vanilla extract and blend until smooth. This will take 1-2 minutes to blend.
- Empty the blender in a bowl and add almond powder, pistachio and chocolate chips and mix with a spoon.
- Pour the ice-cream batter into the Popsicle mold and freeze it at the top shelf rack for at least 3 hours.
Note: Feel free to add more sweetener according to taste in the above mentioned ingredients.
Regular raw almond can be used but I would recommend crushing the almonds as fine as possible, skin peeling can be optional but I prefer using almond powder with skin peeled due to its texture and look.
Any milk of your choice can also be used, adjust the sweetener accordingly.