This oil free Vegan Coffee Cake is soft, moist and filled with cinnamon streusel. Its freezer friendly and made with healthy ingredients. Serve it with your favorite beverage for snacks or breakfast as its perfect all year round.
I have been baking them for a few months now with a variety of variations and all them worked well. But this time it was absolutely delish and out of this world. We munched on it all day and was gone by evening.
What is coffee cake?
In America, coffee cake is a simple vanilla or yellow style cake topped with streusel. Its extremely soft and moist and paired with coffee. Since this cake is supposed to be a snack/breakfast cake served with a caffeinated beverage its call coffee cake.
However, in India and in UK coffee cake contains coffee in it. There are two ways to include caffeine in this it. Either brewed coffee or by mixing coffee powder with the dry ingredients. Mostly its eaten as is or covered with frosting to make it fancy. Basically, its simple coffee flavored pound cake.
Therefore, I decided to follow my mom’s recipe with a twist. I have combined the west and east ideas and came up with my interpretation of a vegan coffee and walnut cake.
I have been baking oil free vegan desserts like vegan chocolate mousse, matcha bars, banana brownies for a while . Therefore, I assure you that even though this one is healthier but it’s the best vegan coffee cake that you can ever imagine.
Here, I have added instant coffee powder to it and also topped it with sugar free streusel. The end result was super delicious.
Therefore, let’s get started baking this vegan coffee cake recipe
Ingredients you will need
Instant coffee powder
Soaked chia seeds
Apple cider vinegar
I have used these easily available ingredients which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you.
Oat flour – it’s a healthy grain and a low GI ingredient. Its high in complex carbohydrate and is gluten free in nature. Its very easy to bake desserts with it and also makes the desserts healthier. You use a store bought one which I did here or grind your own at home.
Coffee powder – instant coffee powder is easily available in any store. This ingredient adds a nice coffee flavor to it. Its very mild in here so kids can also enjoy this delectable treat. However, some decaf ground coffee is also available in the stores so you may use it as well here if preferred.
Chia seeds – it’s a vegan egg substitute with lot of health benefits. Along with being high in fiber it adds healthy fats. Also, it helps in fluffing up this dairy free coffee cake.
Maple syrup – it brings out a nice caramelized flavor to the end result so I would not recommend any substitution for this.
Walnuts – I have tried other ways to create vegan streusel for this recipe and I found walnuts compliment the best here.
So, by now you must have realized that’s it’s a coffee cake without milk and butter.
I am sure you must be craving to bite into this aromatic deliciousness ASAP.
Whereas, I am excited to see how it turns out for you and I would love to hear from you about how much your loved ones enjoyed.
How to make Vegan Coffee Cake
Step 1: how to prepare dry ingredients
In this step, in a mixing bowl, I combined all the dry ingredients and mixed them well with a spoon. Then, I kept it aside.
Step 2: how to prepare wet ingredients
Firstly, in a large mixing bowl, I soaked chia seeds in water until it was jelly like in consistency.
Secondly, I mixed in the rest of the wet ingredients to it and whipped it nicely. Then, I kept it aside.
Step 3: How to make sugar free streusel
In this step, I combined streusel ingredients in a food processor and roughly crushed it. (Do not blend it and should have tiny bite pieces).
Step 4: how to assemble
Firstly, I folded dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whipped it into a batter.
Secondly, I poured the batter in the prepared 8-inch square /round cake pan.
Thereafter, I topped it with the streusel making sure to cover its top thoroughly.
Afterwards, I placed the pan in the middle rack of the oven and baked it for 30 minutes.
Lastly, I turned it off and took it out. Then placed it on a flat surface and let it cool down completely.
Later, I gently pulled out the parchment paper along with it and placed on a flat cutting board.
I sliced it and we all thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it.
- It is important to bring all the ingredients to the room temperature first. This helps in even baking.
- Make sure to measure the flour directly from the container and level it up by cutting the extra at its top with a knife.
- Before you start baking, soak chia seeds and then start preheating the oven. It is important for chia seeds to have jelly like consistency to serve its purpose in this recipe.
This can be refrigerated for about 2 weeks in an air tight container. Also, freeze them in a Ziploc bag for about 1 month. Simply microwave for 15 seconds or re-bake them for 10 minutes or until soft.
It has a mild taste of caffeine along with a strong aromatic flavor of cinnamon and the crunch of walnuts. Its not super chewy and is soft and fluffy.
You may pair it with your favorite beverage or enjoy it for breakfast as a side since it made with oats, its healthier.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments along with a 5-star rating. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake images because we would love to see what you cooked.
You may also check my cookbook for everyday vegan comfort recipes.
Vegan Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a square 8-inch square or round cake pan. Grease it with a cooking or cover it with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Mix with a spoon and keep it aside.
- In another bowl mixing combine all the wet ingredients and keep it aside.
- In the meanwhile, combine the streusel ingredients in a food processor and crush it roughly. ( it should not be fine powdered). Keep it aside.
- Now, fold in dry ingredients into wet ingredients and whip it nicely to make a batter.
- Pour it on the prepared baking pan and tap it to set the batter evenly. Now, cover its top very well the prepared streusel. (Do not touch the set batter, just sprinkle from the top).
- Place it in the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 30 minutes. Once done, turn it off and let it rest for 30 seconds in the oven. Take it out and place it on a flat surface. Once cooled, gently pull out the parchment paper along with the cake holding from two opposite sides. Slice and enjoy.
- Instead of chopped walnuts you may use whole walnuts as well but increase 1/4 cup of its measurement in that case.
- This cake stores well in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks in an air tight container. You may warm it up in microwave for 10 seconds or re-bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes or until soft.
- They freeze well in a Ziploc bag for about 1 month. When ready either microwave it for 15 seconds or re-bake in the oven for 10 minutes.