This creamy Instant Coffee Smoothie Bowl with Chia Seeds is nutritious and an energy booster. Instant coffee adds bold flavor while chia seeds provide fiber and protein. Top it with nuts and fruits and start your day deliciously.
This dairy free coffee smoothie bowl is a perfect combination of caffein and superfoods. I love it as my quick pick-me-up snack at odd hours.
I love coffee and so I often blend my morning coffee smoothie.
Moreover, I love my smoothies with instant coffee and so I often make this smoothie bowl for my breakfast.
I used banana as the main sweet ingredient and a touch of maple syrup to balance out the overall sweet bitter taste .
What is a smoothie bowl?
A smoothie bowl is a thick smoothie that is eaten from a bowl with a spoon instead of sipping from a cup or a glass.
What is the difference between a smoothie and a smoothie bowl?
The biggest difference is the toppings. A smoothie bowl has toppings like fruits, nuts, granola, seeds but a smoothie which is served in a glass does not have any such toppings.
Why you will love this
High in protein and fiber
Creamy and satisfying
Vegan and gluten free
Easy and quick
Made with fresh brewed coffee
Coffee – I used instant coffee powder for this smoothie bowl. Its convenient and quick. However, any brewed coffee of your choice also works in this recipe.
Banana – I added banana to sweeten this recipe and also it helps in thickening. You may also add frozen banana if desired.
Chia seeds – This adds protein and fiber along with omega-3 fatty acids to this coffee bowl. Hence, it becomes a wholesome and hearty breakfast.
Maple syrup – I added very little of this sweetener to balance the overpowering flavor of banana and earthy bitterness of coffee.
Almond milk – Any dairy free milk works in this recipe. I used almond milk to lighten it and keep it low in calories.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make
Firstly, I added hot boiling water to the coffee powder in a cup and stirred it. I let it brew for few minutes.
Secondly, in a blender, I combined almond milk, chia seeds, banana, maple syrup, vanilla extract and brewed coffee.
Next, I blended it absolutely smooth and creamy.
Thereafter, I poured it in the serving bowls and refrigerated for 5 minutes to settle and thicken.
When ready, I took it out of the refrigerator and topped it with fruits ad nuts.
It was so satisfying to enjoy a nice coffee mocha flavor in a smoothie form but healthier.
Moreover, I love the concept of coffee in a bowl and so its one my top favorite morning meal.
It taste best when served immediately. However, you may refrigerate it without the toppings overnight. Next morning, just before serving, add the toppings and enjoy.
- It is important to add almond milk first in the blender for a smooth and easy blending.
- Make sure to add hot water to the coffee powder for the most effective flavor.
Smoothie bowl in general is very healthy. It is high in fiber and natural sugar. By adding chia seeds, I made this coffee smoothie bowl high in protein too.
Yes! absolutely, Just make sure that the smoothie is blended very smooth. Freshly ground coffee or espresso also works in this recipe.
You may add the combination of 2-3 pitted dates and maple syrup or add more maple syrup as per your taste in this recipe.
More vegan smoothie bowl recipes
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Instant Coffee Smoothie Bowl with Chia Seeds
- In a cup, combine instant coffee powder and add hot boiling water to it. Stir and let it brew for few minutes.
- In a blender, combine almond milk, banana, chia seeds, vanilla extract, maple syrup and brewed coffee. Blend it until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon it out in two serving bowls. Refrigerate them for 5 minutes so that the smoothie settles and thickens a bit.
- Take it out of the refrigerator. Garnish with the suggested toppings and enjoy!
- For a smoother coffee taste you may add only 2 tsp instant coffee powder . I like mine strong and so 1/2 tbsp worked great for me.
- You can customize this bowl with your choice of toppings.
- The nutritional value is provided without toppings. It will vary depending on your choice of toppings and its quantities.
- Add almond milk to the blender first for a smooth and efficient blending.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately. However, you may refrigerate it overnight without the toppings for a quick grab and go breakfast. Just before serving add the toppings. Do not store it for longer though because it might taste bitter.