This Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup is a cozy and comforting family meal for winters. Its perfectly seasoned and gets ready within 30 minutes. It tastes as incredible as the one that you grew up eating.
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup has topped my food menu and I regularly include it in my meal plan. On weekends I like to bake my quinoa dinner rolls and whole wheat bread or roasted onion oatmeal bread. Then, my entire family enjoys homemade healthy soup and freshly baked breads.
Whenever I make my vegan broccoli cheddar soup my family loves it s much that i never have leftovers.
I must confess that it took me a while to get to the same old texture and taste but finally I nailed it.
I decided to go for tofu because it’s so versatile and adapts to any recipe. So, while I cooked this protein it started taking the texture of chicken and the final outcome was as chewy as the traditionally one.
In this vegan noodle soup, I tried to use simple pantry staples. However, I made my own poultry seasoning since I had tons of herbs sitting in my pantry.
It was actually fun to play around with herbs since I could change it to any measurement of my choice.
In fact, this easy vegan noodle soup is the most satisfying dinner so far this season.
Hence, today I am sharing this no chicken noodle soup that’s made in a vegan version
Ingredients for vegan noodle soup without chicken
So, I have used these easily available ingredients in this vegan chicken noodle soup recipe. Now, let’s check out its details now and find out some of its substitutions.
Tofu – I used it to substitute chicken since its high in protein and acquires any recipe easily. Moreover, I prefer tofu myself since I love it. However, you may use plant-based chicken of your choice as well.
Herbs – here I have used a combination of sage, rosemary, marjoram, nutmeg, thyme and black pepper which is basically used in poultry seasoning. So, you may use the mentioned herbs if its handy or use 1 tsp of poultry seasoning in this vegetarian noodle soup.
Vegetable broth – I like to use vegetable broth for my soups and it gives the right flavor which I personally like it better.
Parsley – I used dried parsley for convenience but if you want to use fresh parsley then chop it well and use 2 tbsp of it to garnish.
Pasta – I used whole grain pasta because its healthier since it is complex carbohydrates. You may use regular ones. Also, its best to use rotini or fusilli for this veggie noodle soup.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card.
How to make Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
Firstly, I heated oil in a Dutch oven and tossed in chopped tofu. I sautéed the pieces until they were light golden in color.
Secondly, I added celery and mixed it again followed by onion, carrots, garlic and bay leaf.
Then, I mixed it well and added all the herbs to season it.
Again, I mixed it without breaking tofu and poured in vegetable broth along with salt and parley. Then, I let it cook covered for 5 minutes.
Afterwards, I removed the lid and folded in cooked pasta.
I, Immediately turned it off and let it rest for 4 minutes covered.
Lastly, I ladled it in the serving bowls and served it immediately.
This protein rich meal was an instant hit and absolutely desirable on a busy weeknight.
To make it in instant pot
Turn on your instant pot at sauté function and add 2 tbsp. olive oil. Sauté tofu until golden in color and add the vegetables. Mix and then add all the herbs. Next, pour in vegetable broth along with salt and parley and stir well. Cancel the sauté function and close the lid. Seal the valve and turn it on high at manual for 3 minutes. Once done release the pressure and open the lid. Stir in cooked pasta and lightly cover it with the lid and let it rest for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Make sure to cook the pasta al dente and should not be overly soft. The pasta will cook further in the hot soup.
- It is important to follow the measurements of the ingredients as it varies on stove top and in instant pot.
- Rosemary and sage have a very strong tastes therefore, it is important that you follow the measurements as mentioned or use store bought poultry seasoning and measure it to 1 tsp.
It tastes best when served immediately but the leftovers can be refrigerated in an air tight glass container for about 1 week.
It depends the type of noodles/pasta you use. I used whole grain and cooked al dente so it did not get soggy. If you use regular pasta then I would recommend keeping it separate until ready to serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on those links and make a purchase, I might receive a commission. I only share the products which I love and personally use. At the same time it encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may check out my cookbooks for everyday comforting vegan recipes.
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 15oz pack of extra firm tofu (drained, pressed, chopped)
- 2 tbsp chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp ground sage
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup cooked pasta (rotini/fusilli)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven and toss in chopped tofu. Sauté until tofu is light golden in color and cooked through inside.
- Add celery and mix for 30 seconds. Add onions, carrots, garlic and bay leaf and gently fold them at medium-high flame.
- Add sage, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, nutmeg, black pepper and mix well but gently so that tofu does not crumble.
- Pour vegetable broth, parsley and salt. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until few boils.
- Remove the lid and fold in pasta. Adjust salt and stir. Turn it off immediately. Cover and let it rest while hot.
- Feel free to garnish with more fresh chopped parsley or cilantro and ladle it in the serving soup bowls.
- I used whole grain pasta you may use any of your choice. Cook as per the instructions and keep it aside.
- If you do not have all the herbs (sage, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg) then you may use 1 tsp poultry seasoning in this soup.
- You may also use fresh parsley to garnish and in that case use about 2 tbsp. chopped parsley.
- I used tofu instead of chicken but you may use your choice of plant-based chicken option here. For that you sauté the vegetable first and then add vegan chicken followed by herbs and vegetable broth and pasta.
- To store: This tastes best when served immediately. Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight glass container for about 1 week.
- To make it oil free: Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and place tofu pieces on it. Place the baking sheet in the middle rack of the preheat oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit and bake it for 15 minutes or until its light golden in color. Turn it off and take it out. Keep it aside. Add 4 ½ cups vegetable broth in the oven and bring it to boil. Add the vegetables and seasoning. Fold in tofu, salt and parsley. Stir gently and cook covered for 2-3 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in cooked pasta. Turn it off and let it rest for 4 minutes. Serve. If you use vegan chicken then no baking required. Just add everything into the cooked vegetable broth and follow the rest of the instructions.
- To make it in instant pot: Turn on the sauté function and add 2 tbsp. olive oil. Sauté tofu pieces until light golden in color. Follow steps 2, 3 and 4. Cancel the sauté function and close the lid. Seal the valve and turn it on high at manual for 3 minutes. Once done, release the pressure and open the lid. Stir it gently and fold in cooked pasta. Lightly cover it with the lid and let it rest for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
- The nutritional value will vary if you make it oil free or in instant pot or with vegan chicken.