This hearty, satisfying and comforting Vegan Cabbage Soup is budget friendly and made with simple ingredients! It’s packed with a combination of veggies, protein and carbohydrates making it a complete one pot meal for busy weeknights.
If you are a cabbage fan just like me this then this vegetarian cabbage soup is just for you. It is also great if you are on a weight loss plan or monitoring your calorie intake.
Usually, I camouflage this vegetable in vegan dumplings so my kids can eat it without knowing but this time I made it differently.
I had to think out of the box and something that I can throw everything in just one pan and cook with ease. So, I came up with this cabbage soup.
Moreover, it can be made on the stove top and instant pot. I made it with a little oil so that I sauté the veggies nicely. I tried it oil free too but trust me sautéing the veggies in little oil made it more flavorful and sautéing easy too.
This vegan cabbage soup is a winner. Its my husband’s favorite and enjoys it almost every day for his lunch.
Its nutritious too with balanced macronutrients and the required micronutrients.
Health benefits of Cabbage
Along with being low in calories it is packed with all the nutrients. It’s a great source for vitamin C, fiber and Vitamin A and K. It also improves digestion and is gut friendly at the same time. This vegetable contains powerful pigments which helps to keep heart healthy. Due to its rich potassium content, it helps lower blood pressure.
Hence, here I am to share this vegan cabbage soup recipe with you.
Ingredients you will need
I have used these easily available ingredients which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
Oil – I used olive oil. You may use avocado oil or a grapeseed oil for sautéing veggies here.
Cabbage – I chopped it into medium sized square pieces. Do not shred it thin. The chunks taste better in this recipe. Make sure to buy a firm green cabbage with no spots.
Tomato puree – I liked to use tomato puree because it served all the purpose of tomatoes in just half a can.
Italian seasoning – it is a mixed seasoning but you may substitute it with a combination of oregano and parsley too.
Kidney beans – I used raw red kidney beans which I soaked overnight and drained it before using. You may also use canned ones so as to reduce the cooking time. Make sure to drain and rinse the canned ones.
Vegetable broth – I used store bought ones for convenience but you use your own homemade one too.
Spinach – this adds extra nutrition, iron and lots of other health benefits along with a beautiful color. However, do not overcook these green leaves in this recipe.
For detailed measurements of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card.
How to make Vegan Cabbage Soup
Firstly, I heated oil in a stockpot and sautéed in garlic, celery and carrots in it for 30 seconds.
Secondly, I tossed in cabbage and mixed it well. Then, I let it cook for 3-4 minutes sautéing at intervals.
Next, I added tomato puree, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to it and mixed it well.
Thereafter, I mixed in kidney beans and sautéed it for 30 seconds.
Afterwards, I added vegetable broth and cooked covered for about 20-25 minutes.
Later, I lowered the flame and stirred in spinach. Then, I turned it off and let it rest covered for 2 minutes.
Lastly, I adjusted the salt and we all enjoyed it heartily.
Its healthy, nutritious and so filling. It’s a complete meal with delectable flavors.
To make it in instant pot
Turn on your instant pot at sauté mode and heat oil in it. Then, Sautee all the veggies for few minutes. Next, add tomato puree, seasonings and kidney beans and mix well. Then, add vegetable broth and stir. Cancel the sauté mode and close the lid, seal the valve. Turn it on at high for 15 minutes for raw kidney beans and 5 minutes for canned kidney beans. Once done release the pressure and open the lid. Immediately, stir in spinach and lightly cover the lid to settle it down. Serve it hot with as is or with your choice of bread.
This vegetable soup recipe with cabbage is by far my best creation and it’s a delight and pleasurable for the taste buds.
- It is important to chop cabbage into square pieces so that this soup has nice crunch of this vegetable. This also gives a nice texture and taste to it.
- Most importantly stir spinach at the end after turning off the flame but when it is still hot and bubbly. We don not want to overcook spinach or else this leafy vegetable will lose its texture.
This tastes best when served immediately. However, it can be refrigerated in an air tight glass container for about 5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave or on stop top.
Is it healthy?
Yes, its low in calories along with being high in fiber. Moreover, it’s a good combination of good fats, complex carb, protein and fiber. Overall, this can be enjoyed on a daily basis.
I have tested this recipe with both and they work well here. If you use canned kidney beans then measure it to ½ cup after draining and rinsing. If you plan to use raw kidney beans like I did here then make sure to measure it to ¼ cup and then soak it overnight. Darin it before adding it in this cabbage soup.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments along with 5-star ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram along with your recipe remake images because we would love to see what you cooked.
You may also check my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Vegan Cabbage Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3 1/2 cups chopped cabbage (medium square sized pieces)
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- salt to taste
- freshly crushed black pepper
- 1/4 cup soaked and drained raw kidney beans (or 1/2 cup canned kidney beans)
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Heat oil in a stock pot or a Dutch oven and add garlic, celery and carrots. Sautee for 1 minute.
- Toss in cabbage and let it cook at medium flame for 3-4 minutes. Keep sautéing at intervals to make sure its not overcooked.
- Add tomato puree, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and stir it nicely. Add kidney beans and mix again.
- Pour in vegetable broth, stir and cook covered for 30 minutes or until kidney beans are soft. If using canned kidney beans then cook for 20 minutes.
- Lastly, stir in spinach and turn it off. Let it rest covered for 2 minutes. (Do not overcook at this stage). Adjust salt and serve.
- Kidney beans – Make sure to soak kidney beans overnight if using raw. Or else use canned kidney beans measuring up to ½ cup after its drained and rinsed.
- The leftover soup can be refrigerated in an air tight glass container for about 5 days. Reheat on the stove top or microwave it well for 1-2 minutes.
- Instant pot option: Turn it on at sauté mode and follow steps 1 – 4. Cancel the sauté mode and close the lid, seal the valve. Turn it on at high for 15 minutes if using raw kidney beans or 5 minutes if using canned kidney beans. Once done, release the pressure and open the lid. Stir in spinach while it is still very hot and bubbly. Lightly close the lid and let it settle down. Adjust salt and serve.