These oil free healthy Vegan Pizza Rolls are made with the goodness of whole wheat flour and oats and stuffed with veggies in a tomato base. These are great for school snack and are excellent crowd pleaser.
Pizza…is everyone’s favorite. We often do pizza nights on Fridays and its so comforting. However, I wanted to make something healthier and that I could pack for school snack for my kids.
Voila! These easy pizza rolls came to my mind and I began working on it. This recipe took a while to come out perfect but I have to say its totally worth it.
Other favorite school snacks are no bake oatmeal protein bars, vegan chocolate muffins, vegan chocolate chip cookies. However, coming up with a savory snack recipe was challenging but I perfectly nailed it.
These have crisp exterior and a soft chewy inside with pizza flavors and so cheesy.
Ingredients for healthy homemade vegan pizza rolls
Green bell pepper
Whole wheat flour
Rapid rise yeast
Vegan mozzarella cheese
These ingredients are simple and you will be happy to find that the steps are so easy for these tasty pizza rolls.
Vegetable broth – I used this as a base to sauté veggies instead of oil. You may use vegetable stock as well for this purse.
Tomato puree – instead of using readymade marinara sauce, I decided to use tomato puree and bring out the pizza flavor myself to make it a fun pizza roll recipe and more interesting.
Whole wheat flour – Its healthier and less refined and fiber rich.
Oat flour – this is low GI food and adds nutrition to this recipe and makes it so kid friendly.
Rapid rise yeast – I use a sachet of rapid rise dry instant yeast which I combined dry into the flour. It does not require proofing and requires only one rise which makes these healthy pizza rolls faster and quicker.
Vegan cheese – I used shredded style but feel free to use any of your choice.
For detailed measurements of ingredients please scroll don to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Vegan Pizza Rolls
Step 1: How to make the stuffing
Firstly, in a nonstick pan, I heated vegetable broth and sauteed onions in it.
Secondly, I tossed in green bell peppers and mushrooms. Then, I let it cook for sometime until mushrooms were cooked.
Next, I added tomato puree and cooked again.
Thereafter, I mixed in all the herbs along with salt and pepper.
Lastly, I cooked it at medium flame for few minutes until it was thick and slightly dry. Then, I removed it from the flame and kept it aside.
Step 2: How to make the dough
Firstly, in a bowl, I combined whole wheat flour, oat flour, dry yeast, salt and sugar. Mixed it and kept it ready.
Secondly, I warmed the water up to 120-degree Fahrenheit. I used kitchen thermometer to check its accurate temperature.
Next, I poured the water into the flour mixture and formed a tight and smooth dough. If needed you may wet your hands to form the dough incase if its too dry.
Then, I covered it with a kitchen towel and kept it aside for 45 minutes in warm place for it to rise.
Step 3: How to bake
In this step, I rolled the dough into flat oblong shape with a rolling pin and spread the stuffing all over it with a spoon.
Then, I sprinkled vegan mozzarella cheese over it.
Next, I made a large roll starting at one end and making sure to roll all the way to the other end.
Thereafter, with a sharp knife I discarded the edges and sliced it into 9 rolls.
Afterwards, I placed each roll on the prepared baking pan and baked it at 400-degree Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
Once done, I turned off the oven and took it out.
We enjoyed it immediately and they were so satisfying and delicious. it felt like we enjoyed mini vegan pizza.
How to store and reheat
These vegan pizza rolls can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about 3 weeks. You may either microwave for 30 seconds for a quick snack. Toasting for 3-4 minutes in a toaster oven makes it delectably crispy and we love it this way. You may also, re-bake them at 400-degree Fahrenheit for 5-7 minutes.
- The best way to measure the flour is to lightly toss the flour in its container and scoop out with a spoon into the measuring cup and then level its top with a knife. This way the water and the flour measurement will be perfect.
- Make sure to use rapid rise dry yeast for this recipe to get it right.
- While rolling the dough flat keep sealing the edges from the side with your fingers so as to ensure that there are no cracks in the dough.
Yes! It’s made with whole grains and fresh vegetables and flavored with herbs. Moreover, its oil free too.
For me, refrigerating them worked pretty well so I did not try freezing.
My other Italian recipes that you might like
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Vegan Pizza Rolls
for the stuffing
for the dough
- 1/2 cup shredded style vegan mozzarella cheese
- fresh parsley (optional)
Prepare the Stuffing
- In a nonstick pan, heat vegetable broth and sauté onions in it for 1 minute.
- Add green bell peppers and mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms are brown and cooked (about 3 minutes).
- Add tomato puree and mix well. Cook at medium heat for 1 minute or until it starts to thicken a bit.
- Add oregano, garlic powder, basil, salt and black pepper to it. Mix well and cook for another 1-2 minutes at medium flame until it’s a bit thick and not runny. Turn it off and remove from heat. Keep it aside.
Prepare the dough
- In a mixing bowl, combine wheat flour, oat flour, dry yeast, salt and sugar. Mix and keep it ready. Warm up water up to 120-degree Fahrenheit and keep it ready (I recommend warming up little extra water separately and keep it ready in case needed).
- Pour ¾ cup of the warmed water into the flour mixture and form a dough. If you measured the flour correctly you may not need any more water. However, if your dough needs more water or is drying up then just keep soaking your hands in the warm water and continue kneading. Do not pour more water into the dough. You may continue to wet your hands in warm water to knead the dough until its formed perfectly. Once it is formed now smoothen the dough. Place the dough at the center of the bowl and cover the bowl with a kitchen towel. Keep it in a warm place for 45 minutes. The dough will double itself.
- Preheat oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit. Prepare an 8-inch square/rectangular baking pan with parchment paper. Remove the cover from the dough and place it on a flat working counter. If you find the dough separating or breaking gently join the dough back (do not knead it at this stage). Lightly dust the counter with little flour and roll the dough into a flat oblong shape with a rolling pin upto ¼ inch thickness.
- Spread the stuffing evenly with a spoon over the rolled dough. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over it. Now, release one side of the dough from the counter and start rolling it into a large roll until it can be sealed with the other end of the dough. With a sharp knife, discard the edges and slice into 9 rolls and place them in the prepared baking pan.
- Place it in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown in color. Then turn it off and take it out. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
- The best way to measure the warm water temperature is to use kitchen thermometer. The water has to be at the right temperature for yeast to be activated and the dough to rise correctly.
- While kneading it is important to make sure that water does not cool down so you may have to coordinate a bit while making the dough.
- Its best to warm up some extra water at the same temperature of 120 degree Fahrenheit and keep it ready in case if needed. Initially add ¾ cup warm water. If needed just wet your hands in the warm water and knead. You may continuously wet your hands and knead the dough until a smooth dough is formed. But make sure its not too wet and must be tight.
- These can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about 3 weeks. Toast it in a toaster oven for 3-4 minutes for crispy texture or microwave for 30 seconds for immediate consumption. You may re-bake at 400-degree Fahrenheit for 5-7 minutes.
- These pizza rolls have a slight crispy texture with being soft, chewy and saucy inside.
- I have provided step wise images in the post above for your reference.