This Mexican flavored Instant Pot Taco Pasta is absolutely comforting, satisfying and easy to make. It’s made vegan with very simple pantry staples. It makes an easy and quick weeknight dinner as well.
My kids love taco and we traditionally love the idea of Taco Tuesday. Therefore, when I came with this idea of vegan taco pasta, I was totally excited.
I tested this recipe while my kids were at school so as to give them surprise with their favorite flavors on a weeknight.
It worked….and I succeeded in making it a one pot meal. I was amazed to cook pasta in a pressure cooker and yet get the same consistency and texture that of a stove top.
To enjoy tacos in a more variety I often make my delicious vegan taco soup.
When I served this taco pasta with my Mexican coleslaw salad, we were overjoyed by our Mexican table spread. Everything tasted so good. My chipotle pasta is delicious flavored and is my family’s favorite also.
Moreover, it’s a quick recipe that requires no baby sitting and gets ready in less than 30 minutes. Also, not many dishes too. Yay!!!!
It’s a winner recipe and now I frequently make it. However, I also tested it on stove top to make sure both the options are available to you guys.
I love my pressure cooker and I have made many sweet and savory dishes like cranberry sauce, apple crisp, Zuppa Toscana and vegan potato corn chowder. All these have been so quick and hassle free.
This time, I cooked pasta and I totally nailed it.
Hence, I am sharing this instant pot taco pasta recipe with you today.
Ingredients you will need
More taco seasoning
I have used these easily available ingredients in this recipe which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
Oil – olive oil or grapeseed oil works here. Even avocado oil blends in well.
Onions – I used red onions because we love it in everything. However, yellow/white onions also work here.
Bell peppers – use colored bell peppers to make it more interesting and beautiful. I used green and red but you may go up to orange and yellow as well.
Black beans – its high in protein and low in calories. Adds lot of flavors and nutrition to this recipe. A simple canned black bean enhances this one pot taco pasta and makes it more desirable.
Elbow pasta – well we loved it with the macaroni pasta. It tastes the best but you may go for rotini as well.
Taco seasoning – it’s a simple spice blend with Mexican flavors and is my favorite.
For detailed measurements of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card.
How to make Instant Pot Taco Pasta
Firstly, in the sauté mode I heated oil and sautéed garlic and onion in it.
Secondly, I tossed in bell peppers and sautéed for 30 seconds.
Next, I mixed in tomatoes and black beans and mixed it well. Then, I added dry pasta to it and mixed it for about 1 minutes.
Thereafter, I added water, taco seasoning and salt to it and stirred it. Then, I cancelled the sauté mode.
Afterwards, I closed the lid and sealed the valve of my instant pot/pressure cooker and turned it on at manual high for 10 minutes. Once done, I released its pressure and opened the lid.
Then, I mixed it well scrapping from the bottom and closed the lid again. (I did not seal it though). I let it rest covered for 5 minutes and the all the liquid was absorbed.
Lastly, I opened its lid again and mixed it for 2 minutes scrapping from bottom.
I served it with lots of chopped cilantro, some avocado, few drops of lemon juice and sprinkled more taco seasonings.
It was simply yum.
We all loved it so much that all we wanted to focus on what were eating and this Mexican taco pasta was gone within minutes.
We happily satisfied our hungry bellies.
I was very happy to see those cute smiles of approval.
I am sure your family will love this dish as well so make it ASAP.
To make it on stove top
Cook 2 cups elbow pasta as per package instructions. Drain it and keep it aside. In the meanwhile, heat olive oil in a nonstick pan and sauté garlic along with all the vegetables. Then, toss in black beans, taco seasoning and salt. Mix it well and fold in cooked pasta along with ¼ cup vegetable broth. Mix and cook for few minutes or until the liquid is absorbed at low-medium flame. Remove the lid and mix it again scrapping from the bottom. Serve it with the suggested garnishing.
- After opening the lid and releasing the pressure when you first open the lid quickly stir and close the lid back again. Do not seal the valve. This helps in absorbing all the liquid.
- Most importantly, after opening the lid for the second time make sure to mix it thoroughly by scrapping from the bottom for at least 3-4 minutes. This helps it getting the right texture and the pasta also fluffs better.
This tastes best when served immediately. However, refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight glass container for about 5 days.
I loved it with elbow pasta but rotini also works well in this recipe. For stove top option you may even go for whole grain rotini.
It has a prominent Mexican taste along with the softness of pasta and the nutrition of black beans. It’s a fusion recipe which has a nice salty taco flavor to it.
Hungry for more? You may enjoy these as well:
Farro Black Beans Mexican Bowl
Vegan Queso Cauliflower Dip
Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli Soup
Creamy Coconut Pasta
Jalapeno Cheese Pasta
Where to find me?
Follow me on Facebook or tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake image. We would love to see what you cooked. If you are more of a pinner then follow me on Pinterest.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback along with a 5-star rating in the comments below.
You may also checkout my cookbooks for everyday vegan comforting recipes.
Instant Pot Taco Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped Bell peppers (red and green)
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 15oz can black beans (rinsed)
- 2 cups elbow shaped pasta (dry)
- 4 cups water
- 2 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
- salt to taste
- more taco seasoning
- few drops of lemon juice
- chopped cilantro
- chopped avocado
- Turn on your instant pot at sauté mode and heat oil in it. Sautee garlic and onions in it for 1-2 minutes or until translucent.
- Toss in chopped bell peppers and mix it well for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and black beans then give it a nice mix. Then add pasta to it and mix well for about 1 minute.
- Add water, taco seasoning and salt. Cancel the sauté mode and close the lid followed by sealing the valve. Turn it on at manual high for 10 minutes.
- Once done, release the pressure. Open the lid and give it a nice stir scraping from the bottom. Close the lid again quickly but do not seal it. Let it rest for 5 minutes. This will help absorb the extra liquid.
- Open the lid and stir it again nicely scraping from the bottom for about 1 minute. Do not break the pasta though. This fluffs the pasta absorbs any remaining liquid.
- Serve it with the garnishes of your choice and enjoy it hot.
- Stove top option: Cook 2 cups pasta as per package instructions. Drain and keep it aside. In the meanwhile, heat oil in the pan and sauté garlic and all the vegetables. Then add black beans, taco seasoning and salt. Mix and toss in cooked pasta along with ¼ cup vegetable broth. Mix and let it cook covered at low flame for 5 minutes. Turn it off and mix again scarping from the bottom. Serve as suggested.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately. However, refrigerate the leftovers in the air tight glass container for about 5 days.
- The nutritional information is provided without the garnishing. It will vary depending on your toppings.
I tried this for dinner tonight. It is truly wonderful, nothing is overpowering and not heavy on the stomach. Thank you so much for sharing.
so glad you liked it 🙂
Interesting recipe, I’ve always made these flavours with rice I’ve never thought to add them to pasta. I definitely will try this recipe this week on my weekly meal rotation.
Its soo good. Hope you try it soon 🙂