This Farro Black Beans Mexican Bowl is a fusion dish made with delicious and satisfying flavors. Its a healthier and a guilt free version of the traditional cuisine.
Coming back from a week’s vacation, exploring the beauty of Cancun and splurging into the blue water – my refrigerator was frighteningly bare.
I was missing the Mexican flavors that I had indulged in during the week and I craved to bite into the same yummy salsa and tortilla and Arzo (rice) but alas, reality struck!
I made a quick trip to the nearby grocery store and picked up fresh vegetables.
While walking the health aisle of the grocery store with glazed look I found Farro and immediately it struck me that I can create a flavorful healthy Mexican dish.
At the same time I wanted something quick and not too much time consuming.
Ingredients for Farro Black Beans Mexican Bowl
- Olive oil
- Red onion
- Green bell pepper
- Jalapeno pepper
- Sweet Corn kernels
- Black beans
- Lime juice
My cheat days were over and I immediately caught onto healthy eating track. So, I wanted to cook everything from scratch and make it low calorie food with balanced nutrition.
Hence the idea of Farro Black Beans Mexican Bowl came to my mind.
How to cook Farro Black Beans Mexican Bowl
- Firstly, I heated oil in a nonstick pan and added garlic and oregano to it.
- Secondly, I added the veggies and peppers to it and sauteed it well.
- Next, I seasoned it with some spices.
- Thereafter, I tossed in black beans and cooked again.
- Lastly, I added farro and tossed very well.
- Now, just before serving I topped it with lettuce and sliced avocado.
My idea was to make a dish that was one pan flavorful Mexican meal. Therefore, I flavored the warm oil with garlic and oregano first and then mixed in the rest of the ingredients except lettuce and avocados.
I love the fresh and crunchy texture of lettuce, and fresh sliced avocados give this Farro Black Beans Mexican Bowl a light creamy texture.
Serve this healthy, nutritious and vegan Mexican bowl to yourself and feel the happiness and energy flowing in your body. 🙂
You may also like:
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may also tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Farro Black Beans Mexican Bowl
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 roma tomatoes (blanched, peeled and mashed)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels (frozen/canned)
- 1 15 oz canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/4 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 cups cooked farro (as per package instructions)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 whole avocado (peeled, deseeded and sliced)
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add garlic, oregano and onions. Saute well.
- Add green bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, tomatoes. Mix, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, corn, black beans, salt, lime juice.
- Mix very well and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly add farro and mix well so that farro is properly coated and turn off the flame.
- In a serving bowl/plate empty the pan. Top it with lettuce and avocado and serve.
- Feel free to garnish with vegan mozzarella cheese and vegan sour cream .
- This recipe taste best when served immediately.