Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli Soup is a delicious blend of pasta and beans in a tomato base soup. Its warm, hearty and a must for family dinner!
I have recently discovered the convenience of cooking in Instant Pot so I am trying my hands at it. I must say I love it. Especially I don’t have to baby sit most of the recipes.
Soups are quite frequent in my house. Its one of the easiest and wholesome dinner. I find it nutritious, satisfying and kid friendly too. This pasta soup is Italian and originated in Italy but here in United States it is commonly known as Pasta Fasul.
Its is very easy to get confused between Minestrone and fagioli soup. So, you must be wondering what is the difference between the two?
Minestrone soup is also Italian soup but consists of lots of vegetables along with pasta and beans. It has a strong flavor of garlic and onion too. Whereas, pasta fagioli soup is more about pasta and beans. Its thicker also in its consistency.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli Soup
Pinch of sugar
Colored bell pepper
Black eyed peas
Crushed black pepper
Crushed chili flakes
Elbow shaped pasta
How to make pasta fagioli soup
Firstly, heat oil in your instant pot at saute mode and saute garlic and herbs in it.
Secondly, saute onions until they are translucent.
Then cook tomatoes, sugar and tomato paste until the tomatoes are mushy and very well cooked.
Next, add the vegetables and mix well.
Thereafter, toss in the beans.
Afterwards, pour vegetable stock and the seasonings.
Subsequently, close the lid of your instant pot and seal the valve. Change its setting to beans/chili mode or at medium pressure for 10 minutes. Once done, release the pressure and open the lid.
At this point change its setting again to saute mode and stir in pasta. Let it cook uncovered until pasta is soft for about 5-7 minutes ( Do not overcook pasta). Turn it off and enjoy!
- Its better to finely chop the bell peppers and carrots because we do not want the veggies to overpower this soup.
- If possible, fresh oregano will enhance the flavor of this soup and will not be as strong in flavor as the dried ones.
- While sauteing garlic and herbs in oil make sure to keep sauteing all the time to avoid burning/over cooking.
- When sauteing onion, keep stirring with a spatula so that it is cooked until translucent and does not brown in the instant pot.
- While cooking in the instant pot keep in mind that its temperature is slightly higher than the stove top and therefore food is cooked quicker in it.
Frequently asked question:
How long does it last in the refrigerator?
This soup can be refrigerated for about 5-6 days in an air tight glass container. I have mentioned the tips to store this soup in the recipe card under notes section.
What pairs well with it?
A side salad and garlic bread pairs excellently with this soup.
Can it be cooked in different vessels?
Yes, it can be cooked on a stove top vessel as well. I have mentioned the details in the recipe card under notes section.
Can I use different types of beans if I don’t find cannellini beans?
Yes, you may use any white beans like Great Northern white beans or Navy beans.
My other Favorite Pasta Soup:
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Soup
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below and also rate this recipe. You may also tag @kiipfit on Instagram and I will definitely shout it out there.
Instant Pot Pasta Fagioli Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped colored bell peppers ( green + red )
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 15oz canned cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup dry black eyes peas
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 cup elbow shaped pasta (regular/whole grain/gluten free)
- Turn on your instant pot at saute mode (default
setting) and heat oil in it.
- Add garlic, oregano and basil in it and mix for about 30 seconds.
- Immediately toss in onions and cook until translucent. (Do not overcook onions)
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Saute
until tomatoes are mushy. Crush the tomatoes with your spatula as much as
- Now add bell peppers and carrots, mix and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add cannellini beans and black eyed peas and mix well.
- Now add vegetable stock, pepper, crushed chili
flakes and salt. Stir and close the lid. Seal the valve and change the setting
to chili/beans mode (default setting). Let it pressure cook.
- Once done, release the pressure and open the
lid. Stir in dry pasta. Change the setting of your instant pot once again to sauté
mode (default setting). Let it cook until pasta is soft and well cooked.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe tastes best when consumed immediately.
- For fridge option: refrigerate it before adding pasta to the soup. It stays good for about 5-6 days. Whenever ready to use the soup boil the pasta separately as per the package instructions and add to the warmed-up soup.
- Different vessel variation: This recipe can be cooked in a stock pot or a Dutch oven. Follow until step 6. Then add vegetable stock along with the seasonings. At medium flame cook the soup covered until black eyed peas soften. In the meanwhile, cook pasta separately and keep it ready. As soon as the beans are soft and soup is cooked toss in pasta. Turn off the flame, adjust salt and serve immediately.
- I have provided step wise images in the post above.