This one bowl Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake is soft and melt in mouth with chocolaty taste in every bite. It is made with gluten free flours and is mildly sweetened.
My family is very fond of chocolate cake and so I am always encouraged to bake it at home. Usually, I find the store-bought ones too sweet and over greasy. Therefore, whenever I bake it at home, I always try to make it as healthy as possible without compromising on the flavor.
On that note my vegan chocolate muffins are a must try.
Chocolate Pie is a great holiday treat and so easy to make.
Ingredients for Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
For the cake
Soaked chia seeds
For the icing
Dairy free chocolate chips
For the toppings
Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
How to make this Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
Firstly, I beat vegan butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl with a hand electric mixer until it became soft and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
Secondly, in the same bowl I added chia seeds, banana, vanilla, milk and vinegar. Again, I beat it with the electric hand mixer until it was light and fluffy (about 10 minutes).
Thereafter, In the same bowl I folded in all the dry ingredients of the cake and roughly mixed with the spatula. Then, following it, I quickly beat it with the electric hand mixture at a low speed to make sure a nice batter is formed.
Afterwards, I poured the cake batter at the center of the prepared cake pan and placed it in the middle rack of the oven. Then, I let it bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tester comes our clean. (Do not bake more than 30 minutes). Once the cake is done and out of the oven it is important to let the cake cool down completely.
In the meanwhile, I microwaved chocolate chips, vegan butter and milk for 1 minute in a microwavable bowl.
Subsequently, I whipped it again with the electric hand mixer. (feel free to whip it up with a spatula as well if you do not have the whipping attachment).
Later, I poured the whipped icing at the center of the cake and then I spread it evenly with a butter knife.
Lastly, I topped it with powdered sugar and some more chocolate chips. (this step is optional though).
I guarantee you will love this dessert in its first bite and would want to bake it again and again for your family.
- It is important to bring all the ingredients to the room temperature for even baking and the right texture of the cake.
- On the other hand, make sure that vegan butter does not melt too much and is not runny. It should be soft in texture.
- I have used minimum quantity of brown sugar in this recipe to make it as healthy as possible. Therefore, I have used over ripe brown bananas in this recipe as not only egg replacer but as sweetener also.
Frequently asked questions:
How long do they last?
This vegan chocolate cake tastes best if consumed the same day. Simply refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container. I would recommend to microwave it for 15 seconds and bring it to room temperature before consuming the next day or later. It lasts for about a week in the refrigerator.
Is vegan chocolate cake healthy?
Usually any dessert is not super healthy. However, occasional indulgence in moderation is ok. If you are planning this recipe for valentine’s day then I am sure you are ready for some treat. But in any case, I have tried using healthy gluten free flours in this recipe to avoid the white processed flour. I have also, tried reducing the sugar content and sweetened it with bananas instead.
Can I skip the topping of powdered sugar?
Yes, absolutely. Powdered sugar adds to the presentation and a bit sweetness on the top which of course adds to its enhanced flavor. But you can totally skip the powdered sugar and add a bit ore chocolate chips as the topping.
What can I substitute for almond flour since I am allergic to nuts?
Simply increase the buckwheat flour to 1 cup and skip the almond flour altogether. Almond milk can be replaced with any dairy free milk of your choice. Rest of the measurements remain the same. The baking time would change to 15-20 minutes since buckwheat flour gets cooked very quickly.
Why did you use vinegar in the cake?
This is a vegan cake and is missing a leaving agent. In regular cake, eggs play a vital role as a leaving agent as well as a great binder and make it fluffy also. Here, I have used the combination of vinegar and soda which together acts as a leaving agent which helps this vegan chocolate cake to rise well and make it soft and fluffy.
My other popular desserts are:
4 Ingredients Quinoa Flakes Mango Pudding
Raspberry Glazed Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Super Food Chocolate Brownies
Chocolate Cauliflower Protein Cookies
Pan Seared Apple Almond Cake
Pomegranate Frosted Flourless Brownies
Its an easy and a one bowl chocolate cake. I have made it in one layer to make it easier even for those who are not bakers. I am sure you won’t miss the tall layers in this dessert once you taste it. It is enjoyable to bake this cake and its even more delightful to present it your loved ones this Valentine’s Day.
Also, since it is an easy cake you can have it as fun project with your little bakers.
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your cooked food photograph as I would love to see what you made.
Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
For the cake
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (soaked in 1/2 cup warm water)
- 2 tbsp heaped/packed vegan butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large over ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
for the icing
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp unsweetened plain almond milk
for the topping
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven at 350 degree and prepare an 8-inch
cake pan by lightly greasing it with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine vegan butter and
brown sugar. With an electric hand mixer beat it until soft and fluffy (about
- Then, add soaked chia seeds, mashed banana, vanilla
extract, almond milk and vinegar. Beat it again with the hand electric mixer
until fluffy and bananas are well mashed (about 10 minutes).
- Now, fold in almond flour, buckwheat flour, cocoa
powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix it with a spatula to roughly
mix all the ingredients. Then, with the hand electric mixer at the lowest speed
beat the batter for 1-2 minutes (do not over do this step). Just make sure that
all the ingredients are very well mixed and blended into each other.
- Pour the batter at the center of the prepared cake
pan. Tap the cake pan on the kitchen counter gently to spread the batter in it
evenly and nicely. Immediately place it in the middle rack of the oven. Bake it
for 25 minutes. At this stage open the oven and pull out the rack a bit, insert
a toothpick at the center of the cake to check if its baked. If the toothpick
comes out clean then turn off the oven and take the cake out of it. Or else
bake for another 5 minutes only. (Do not over bake).
- Let it cool down completely before transferring
it to a cake stand.
- In the meantime, combine all the ingredients for
icing in a microwavable bowl and microwave it for 1 minute. Take it out and whip
it with the electric hand mixer until it forms a nice melted icing (about 30
seconds – 1 minute).
- Pour the icing on the cooled cake and spread it
evenly with a butter knife.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and top it with more
- Cut into desired sliced and enjoy!
- For variation: in case of nut allergy skip almond flour. Instead increase buckwheat flour to 1 cup. Substitute almond milk with your choice of dairy free milk. Rest of the measurements and the steps remain the same. The baking time will vary to 15-20 minutes. Test the cake with a toothpick at 15 minutes to make sure not to over bake it.
- This cake lasts for about a week in the refrigerator in an air tight container. Just microwave for 15 seconds to bring it to room temperature before consuming it.
- Toppings are completely optional but they definitely make it more presentable and enhances the sweetness a lot more.
- It is important to use over ripe bananas to balance the sweetness since I have used minimum amount of brown sugar in this recipe.
- Soak chia seeds in warm water and not hot water. Let it stand for 5 minutes at room temperature.
- To get the perfect texture of the cake make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature including butter. However, do not let it melt completely before starting with the cake.
- I have provided step wise images above in the post for your reference.