This Brown Rice Tofu Scramble is a comforting yet protein packed nutritious meal. Its loaded with health and taste in the same plate. Its an easy, satisfying and delicious lunch.
The lunch dilemma – It happens to all of us.
Once we have made soups, salads, sandwiches and eaten at all the best possible healthy eateries, we crave for some fresh home cooked lunch while at work or at home or at school. Hmmmmm.
I am always asking myself whether I want to eat salad again today? The answer immediately comes to my mind NAAAHHH!!! 🙂 . At that point I try and explore my kitchen refrigerator and kitchen pantry like never before.
Sometimes, I tell myself it’s time to organize the shelves but my question is mostly unanswered and tummy growling.
But, I end up eating lettuce and wait for another afternoon in some hope of coming up with an idea for lunch. 🙂
With so much thought Brown Rice Tofu Scramble was created in my kitchen with the ingredients that were handy at that time. 🙂 .
Basically I was cleaning up the refrigerator before making another grocery trip.
Doesn’t that sound fun?
How to make this Brown Rice?
Firstly brown rice needs to be rinsed thoroughly and since I am always impatient I never soak the rice but if you have time I would recommend you soak the brown rice in water for some time. The ratio of rice and water should be 1:3. Cook at medium flame stirring at intervals to avoid sticking. Once the water is almost absorbed simmer the flame. Cover and cook until water is absorbed. After few minutes remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
How to make Brown Rice Tofu Scramble
- Firstly, I heated oil in nonstick pan
- Secondly, I added garlic, fresh oregano leaves (I used fresh oregano because it gave the recipe a subtle flavor and aroma), onions and sauteed well.
- Then, I tossed in crumbled tofu. (Make sure that tofu is as dry as possible and add the crumbled tofu to the pan and cook very well until golden brown and completely dry. While cooking tofu little care needs to be taken in order to bring out the chewy texture and a fully cooked flavor. Any raw taste of tofu will spoil the recipe).
- Next, I tossed in the rest of the ingredients and cooked again for a few minutes and served it warm.
I topped it with some fresh lettuce (my favorite green leaves) for myself but you can enjoy this dish as is.
Usually, I like to double this recipe and refrigerate.
I packed it for lunch for my husband the next day and after a long time he enjoyed a healthy home cooked lunch.
Brown Rice Tofu Scramble tastes as delicious at room temperature and is a perfect lunch box idea as well. 🙂
You may also like:
Black Beans and Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale
Red Wine Vinegar Tofu with Quinoa
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we love to see what you cooked.
Brown Rice Tofu Scramble
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 8 fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 14 oz pack of extra firm tofu (drained, pressed and crumbled)
- 1 1/2 cup colored bell peppers
- 1 tbsp sliced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add garlic and oregano leaves.
- Once garlic starts to brown add onions and saute until light golden brown.
- Add crumbled tofu and cook open until golden brown in color and tofu dries up further. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid any sticking or over cooking.
- Add bell peppers and jalapeno pepper, mix well, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bell peppers soften but retains its crunchy texture. (Avoid over cooking).
- Add salt, black pepper and lemon juice and mix well.
- Lastly, add brown rice and saute well. Cook opened for 1-2 minutes and turn off the fame.
- Garnish with more oregano leaves and serve hot.
- Dried oregano can also be used instead of fresh oregano leaves.
- Make sure to press tofu very well and try to dry it up as much as possible. Cook tofu very well until golden in color to get the chewy texture and avoid any raw taste.
- For a nice soft and chewy texture of brown rice the ratio of rice and water should be 1:3 and cook in medium flame till the water is almost absorbed stirring at interval to avoid sticking in the pan. Then simmer the flame and cover and cook until water is fully absorbed.
- I have provided step wise images in the post above for your reference.
I love getting to see other people’s cooking styles. I think this looks so tasty! But I never would have come up with it on my own. I haven’t cooked with tofu in years, I should reintroduce it to my kitchen!
This looks super healthy. I’ve never had tofu before.
I actually love tofu, and this scramble looks amazing! Pinning!
Not sure if my original post went through or not, but this lunch idea looks so good! I’ve only ever had tofu in soup before, so I’d love to try this recipe out and bring it to lunch for the work week! Thanks for sharing!
Wow, healthy never looked so good!
Allison (funfamily.vacations) says
We have been using a lot of Tofu due to our son’s egg and meat allergies. This looks like a great recipe to try out. Thanks for sharing!
Sounds delicious. I really like fried tofu like that. Its been a while since I cooked with tofu and I still cannot master brown rice! I´ll try soaking for longer next time. Do you rinse it too?
This looks so good and healthy as well!
I’ve never had tofu before but this recipe looks great! Thank you for sharing!
I’ve never successfully made tofu, but this look pretty tasty.
I love how colorful this dish is. I also like your detailed comments on how to get the rice and the tofu just right.
Amy @Planning Playtime says
This looks like a fantastic breakfast or lunch. I love the tips on cooking brown rice as well. I tend to not have enough water or it gets too sticky. I’ll try this for next time.
This looks delicious! I must admit I have never eaten Tofu, but seeing your dish makes me want to try it!
Now this looks like a hearty, filling lunch. I’ve always been a fan of brown rice but have never tried tofu. Thanks for sharing this. Pinning 🙂
Sara @ Shabby Grace Blog says
Love recipes like this! Yummy and easy. Adding this to the list!
Sabrina @ Dinner, then Dessert says
This dish looks healthy and delicious! I need to work with tofu more often!
Justine Y @ Little Dove Creations says
Confession- I have never cooked brown rice or tofu. In fact, I think I’ve had tofu maybe once in my life. This recipe sounds pretty good though and I might have to step out of my comfort zone a little bit. 🙂