This homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce is better than a takeout. It’s a one pot recipe made with minimum ingredients. It has the perfect sweet and tangy flavor to it.
I am basically fond of the Chinese flavors. When, I came up with this versatile sauce I was super happy and satisfied. Now, it’s always bottled in my refrigerator. Whenever, I crave for Chinese cuisine, I simply sauté some vegan protein in this sauce and enjoy.
I also made chili garlic sauce in which I often sauté my favorite vegetables. My pineapple habanero sauce is amazingly delicious for glazing and or as a dip.
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Sauce
Apple cider vinegar
How to make this Sweet and Sour Sauce
Firstly, I combined water and cornstarch in a saucepan and whisked it until it was smooth.
Secondly, I added rest of the ingredients to it and whisked it again until well blended.
Lastly, I turned on the flame and cooked for few minutes while stirring continuously.
Next, I let it cool and use it as a dipping sauce or a base for vegan protein entree.
- It is important to whisk it nicely before turning on the flame. Or else it might get lumpy.
- Make sure to turn off the flame as soon as the sauce starts to change its color. As it cools down the sauce thickens and comes to the perfect consistency.
- If it gets too thick while resting in the refrigerator then simply warm it up and add little water as per your desired consistency.
Frequently asked questions:
How long does it last?
This sauce can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about a month.
Does it change while storing?
Its consistency might change a bit since I have added cornstarch to it that is it might thicken a bit. If using as a dipping sauce then simply use it as is or bring it to room temperature. If using it as a base then simply warm it in a pan and add little water as per your desired consistency.
How do I bring it to room temperature?
You may microwave it for 10 seconds.
How does it taste like?
I have made with this sauce with my personal touch. Since, my family does not like overly sweet sauces, it has a nice and prominent tang to it. The combination of the sweet and tangy flavor in this sauce is absolutely a winner. It is however, slightly different from the store-bought ones.
You may also like:
Spicy Orange Cauliflower
Spicy Cashew Broccoli Stir Fry
Tofu Sriracha Dressing
Sriracha Mango Dip
Air Fryer Spring Rolls
Teriyaki Tofu Quinoa Power Bowl
Tofu Chickpeas Lettuce Wraps
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground dry ginger or ginger powder
- In a saucepan or a stock pot combine water and cornstarch. Whisk it until its smooth and there are no lumps.
- Then, add rest of the ingredients in the cornstarch mixture. Whisk it again very well until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Turn on the flame at medium – high heat and let it cook while stirring continuously. As soon as it starts to boil lower the flame and cook for another 2 minutes or until the color becomes a bit darker. (Make sure to continuously stir it to avoid any lumps and burning).
- Turn it off and remove the pan from the heat. Let it cool and use it as per your choice.
- This sauce can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about a month.
- If it becomes too thick while resting in the refrigerator then simply warm it up and add little water as per your desired consistency. ( Do not over cook at this point, just warming up would be enough).
- Use this sauce as a dipping sauce or as a gravy base for your vegan protein.
- This sauce is not overly sweetened like the store bought ones.
No idea this could be so easy!! So happy to have learned how to make my own sweet and sour – now I can sprinkle it on everything ahaha
I had no idea sweet and sour sauce could be made so easily at home! We really liked this with our stir fry the other night and it took only minutes to throw together, totally delicious!!
Thank you Mikayla for trying this recipe and appreciating it as well. So happy your family liked it 🙂
Analida Braeger says
We love making our own sauce and this one sounds fantastic. Thanks for all the tips!
Mama Maggie's Kitchen says
My mouth is watering. I have to make this Sweet and sour sauce tonight! My husband will love this.
Sweet and sour sauce is my fav! Love how easy it is to make too.
This sweet and sour sauce would be great on so many things and I really love all the tips! I will be making this very soon for the family
So much healthier than take out, and it tastes better too. It was very easy to make.
Thank you Jen for your feedback 🙂
Pam Greer says
This is so much better than store bought sauce! I also always keep a jar in the fridge and use it on everything!
Totally agree. Thank you Pam.
Kelly Anthony says
Homemade sauces are my favorite. Sweet and sour sauce reminds me of Sunday lunches at our favorite Chinese restaurant when I was growing up.
mine too 🙂 enjoy!!!!
I didn’t realize making sweet and sour sauce at home was so simple. No more store-bought for me!
YAY!!!! Enjoy 🙂
I am the type of person who orders extra sweet and sour sauce whenever I get take out. I love how easy this recipe is to make some of my very own!
That’s great! I hope you enjoy it soon.