This homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce is better than a takeout. It’s a one pot recipe made with minimum ingredients. It has the perfect sweet and tangy flavor to it.
I am basically fond of the Chinese flavors. When, I came up with this versatile sauce I was super happy and satisfied. Now, it’s always bottled in my refrigerator. Whenever, I crave for Chinese cuisine, I simply sauté some vegan protein in this sauce and enjoy.
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Sauce
Apple cider vinegar
How to make this Sweet and Sour Sauce
Firstly, I combined water and cornstarch in a saucepan and whisked it until it was smooth.
Secondly, I added rest of the ingredients to it and whisked it again until well blended.
Lastly, I turned on the flame and cooked for few minutes while stirring continuously.
Next, I let it cool and use it as a dipping sauce or a base for vegan protein entree.
- It is important to whisk it nicely before turning on the flame. Or else it might get lumpy.
- Make sure to turn off the flame as soon as the sauce starts to change its color. As it cools down the sauce thickens and comes to the perfect consistency.
- If it gets too thick while resting in the refrigerator then simply warm it up and add little water as per your desired consistency.
Frequently asked questions:
How long does it last?
This sauce can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about a month.
Does it change while storing?
Its consistency might change a bit since I have added cornstarch to it that is it might thicken a bit. If using as a dipping sauce then simply use it as is or bring it to room temperature. If using it as a base then simply warm it in a pan and add little water as per your desired consistency.
How do I bring it to room temperature?
You may microwave it for 10 seconds.
How does it taste like?
I have made with this sauce with my personal touch. Since, my family does not like overly sweet sauces, it has a nice and prominent tang to it. The combination of the sweet and tangy flavor in this sauce is absolutely a winner. It is however, slightly different from the store-bought ones.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground dry ginger or ginger powder
- In a saucepan or a stock pot combine water and cornstarch. Whisk it until its smooth and there are no lumps.
- Then, add rest of the ingredients in the cornstarch mixture. Whisk it again very well until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Turn on the flame at medium – high heat and let it cook while stirring continuously. As soon as it starts to boil lower the flame and cook for another 2 minutes or until the color becomes a bit darker. (Make sure to continuously stir it to avoid any lumps and burning).
- Turn it off and remove the pan from the heat. Let it cool and use it as per your choice.
- This sauce can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about a month.
- If it becomes too thick while resting in the refrigerator then simply warm it up and add little water as per your desired consistency. ( Do not over cook at this point, just warming up would be enough).
- Use this sauce as a dipping sauce or as a gravy base for your vegan protein.
- This sauce is not overly sweetened like the store bought ones.