This spicy and zesty Schezwan Fried Rice is a favorite Indo-Chinese dish packed with bold and delicious flavors. Its an easy dish made with the combination of grains and veggies and seasoned with homemade sauce.
I love Chinese food and especially if it’s a rice dish it is always our favorite.
Along with almond butter vegetable stir fry noodles this easy schezwan fried rice have taken up our menu for a while now.
What is schezwan sauce?
It is basically a sauce made with dry red chilies or chili flakes and has strong ginger garlic flavor along with soy sauce as the base. Its outstanding for sure.
Why brown rice?
I like to use brown rice for my recipes because it is less processed, which means it has more fiber than the regular white rice. Its two outer layers, bran and germ are kept in place in the grain which contains all the vitamins and minerals. Therefore, it is healthier comparatively and trust me if brown rice is cooked well its tastier too.
Hence, I am excited to share my new schezwan fried rice recipe with you
Ingredients for vegan schezwan fried rice
Dry red chilies
Shredded cabbage/coleslaw mix
Frozen mixed vegetables
I assure you that the ingredients are simple and the steps are simpler. You will love this beautiful spicy vegan fried rice immediately.
Brown rice – long grains or short grains are fine for this recipe but make sure its cooked properly and is softer.
Dry red chilies – this is the star of this recipe and makes this sauce delicious.
Sesame oil – this works best and brings out a nice Chinese flavor to this dish.
But any oil of your choice also works here.
Shredded cabbage – you may shred cabbage at home or simply buy a coleslaw mix from the store which is a combination of shredded cabbage and carrots.
Mixed vegetables – you may add your choice of veggies. I usually get the frozen mixed vegetable packet from the store for convenience and use it.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the end of the post.
How to make Schezwan Fried Rice
Step1: how to cook brown rice
Firstly, I boiled 2 ½ cups of water in a sauce pan and stirred in brown rice. Then, I let it cook at high flame until half of its water was absorbed.
Secondly, I simmered the flame to low and I continued to cook it covered until all the water was absorbed.
Then, I turned it off. I removed the lid and fluffed with a fork. I kept it aside for it to cool down.
Step2: how to make the sauce
Firstly, I combined all the sauce ingredients in a blender.
Then, I blended it on a smoother side and kept it aside.
Step3: how to cook
Firstly, I heated oil in a nonstick pan/wok and sautéed onions and scallions together in it until translucent at high flame.
Secondly, I tossed in shredded cabbage along with the mixed vegetables and mixed it well at high flame.
Thereafter, I stirred in the blended sauce and let it cook for 2 minutes at a medium flame.
Afterwards, I folded in the cooked brown rice along with salt. I stir fried it at high flame for 3-4 minutes making sure it does not stick at the bottom.
Then, I brought the flame to low and cook it covered for 30 seconds.
Lastly, I turned it off and mixed it again from the bottom. I garnished it with green onions and served it immediately.
We instantly loved it and was craving for second helping.
I have been making this schezwan rice for a while on rotation for our dinner and every time we love this homecooked Chinese dish. I never have leftovers.
Vegan schezwan fried rice can be served as is and its quite filling and a complete in itself. However, to make it a complete gourmet meal it pairs well sweet and sour tofu, sweet and spicy tofu, or orange cauliflower.
- Its ok to fold in warm rice in this recipe. O if you have leftover brown rice in the fridge make sure to bring it in room temperature.
- While blending the sauce, if the dry red chilies are slightly coarse that gives a better presentation.
- When stirring the sauce into the veggies make sure to cook it until few bubbles for the best results.
Yes, it is spicy and garlicky in taste with a mild subtle sweetness to it.
Regular fried rice is made mostly with soy sauce and vinegar and is salty and smooth in taste. Whereas, schezwan fried rice has chili-based sauce and its spicy and zesty in taste.
Restaurants usually use dark soy sauce but if I am making at home, I try to make it a bit healthier and so I like to use low sodium soy sauce.
This taste best when served immediately. However, refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for about 1 week. Warm it up nicely in the microwave before serving.
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you will enjoy this Chinese veg schezwan fried rice recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Schezwan Fried Rice
- 1 cup rinsed brown rice (long or short grain)
- 2 1/2 cups water
for the sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions/green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage/coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (frozen/fresh)
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup greens of green onions
To cook Brown Rice
- Bring 2 ½ cups water to boil in a saucepan and combine rinsed brown rice in it. Stir and let it cook at high until water starts to absorb. Bring the flame to low, cover and cook for about 25 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove the lid, fluff with a fork and keep it aside.
To blend the Schezwan Sauce
- In a blender combine all the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend it smooth. Its ok if it the dry red chilies are little coarse. This will give a nice texture to the fried rice.
To cook the Fried Rice
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan/wok and sauté onions and scallions together in it until translucent.
- Then, toss in shredded cabbage/ coleslaw mix along with mixed vegetables. Sautee well until the vegetables are cooked but still crunchy.
- Add the blended sauce to it and stir well. Let it cook for1-2 minutes or until few bubbles.
- Fold in cooked rice and salt and mix it well. Bring the flame to low and cook cover for 2 minutes. Remove the lid and mix well scooping from the bottom. Turn it off and garnish with green onions and serve hot.
- Long grain brown rice works best here but short grain brown rice also is fine.
- I have used 2 ½ cups of water to cook brown rice which is fine for both long grain and short grain brown rice because we want the brown rice to be softer in this recipe.
- You can either use shredded cabbage or use ready packed coleslaw mix from the store which consists of carrots and cabbage. Both options are fine for this recipe.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately but the leftovers can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about a week. Warm it well in a microwave.