This deliciously flavored Bang Bang Cauliflower is the best snack ever! It’s coated with homemade sweet and spicy sauce and baked until golden crisp. It tastes phenomenal and you can air fry also.
I am amazed at how versatile cauliflower can be. Grind it into rice form or blend it into a smoothie it’s a super vegetable for a low carb diet.
I have also tried cauliflower cookies and trust me they were so good. Moreover, it is quite popular in my circle as well.
Other cauliflower recipes that you might like:
Vegan Cauliflower Soup
Cauliflower Tikka Masala
Spicy Orange Cauliflower
Roasted Cauliflower Curry
What is bang bang cauliflower?
It is a vegan Chinese version of bang bang chicken. Cauliflower is cut into bite sized florets and marinated in a mayo and hot sauce-based batter with a hint of sweetness. Then its baked or air fried or deep fried into crispy bites.
Therefore, if you are a cauliflower fan or looking into low carb diet then this healthy bang bang cauliflower is your best bet. It has a nice Chinese flavor with crispy bites. It’s a great snack to serve the crowd.
It is a super easy appetizer and my family enjoys snacking on it as is.
So, today I am here to share this awesome bang bang cauliflower recipe.
Ingredients you will need
I have used these easily available ingredients which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
- Vegan mayo – I used my own homemade one which is a cashew based. However, you may use a store-bought one as well.
- Panko crumbs – this makes it crunchy and crispy along with binding the batter well. I used this as a thickener also and tried to make it a simple recipe.
- Sriracha sauce – any hot sauce would work here but personally sriracha sauce brough the best taste to this cauliflower recipe.
- Cauliflower florets– it’s a versatile vegetable. It works excellent if you cut it into bite sized florets. I used the store bought ready to use fresh cut cauliflower. However, you may buy whole cauliflower and cut into florets as per your choice.
- Sesame seeds – I added this to garnish and add some more crunch to it.
- Cilantro – I preferred fresh cilantro here to give it an Asian punch to this vegan bang bang cauliflower.
After going through the details of the ingredients, I am sure you must be excited to get started with this recipe ASAP.
So, I would recommend reading through its steps and enjoy it with your friends and family.
How to make Bang Bang Cauliflower
Step1: how to make the batter
- Firstly, I blended vegan mayo at home. Then, I spooned it out in a large mixing bowl.
- Secondly, I combined it with panko crumbs, sriracha sauce and maple syrup.
- Next, I stirred it and adjusted the salt as per taste.
Step2: how to marinate
In this step, I tossed in cauliflower florets to it and coted each floret well.
Step3: how to bake
- Firstly, I placed each individual cauliflower florets on the prepared baking sheet.
- Secondly, I poured the remaining batter on each floret with a spoon to coat it well.
- Afterwards, I baked it at 400-degree Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes or until crispy.
- As soon as it was done, I turned off the oven and took it out.
- Lastly, I garnished it with sesame seeds and cilantro.
Next, I served it immediately with ranch dip.
It was so delicious that all was gone instantly.
I am planning to make this for my friends on July 4th as an appetizer since it is so much loved by my family.
I insists that you must try it out ASAP so that you can also enjoy this deliciousness with your loved ones like I do most of the time.
- Make sure to mix in panko crumbs in mayo first then sriracha to it. This brings out a beautiful color.
- Toss it well without breaking the florets. it is important to make sure that each floret is covered with the batter and is placed with gaps on the baking sheet.
- Most importantly, spoon the leftover sauce over cauliflower florets so that they are fully flavored.
Overall, this is a crowd pleaser appetizer. Moreover, I have used simplest ingredients in this recipe.
If you use cashew-based mayo then it’s even more delicious because cashew nuts have protein along with a sweet subtle taste of its own. This enhances the overall flavor of this recipe.
This taste best when served immediately. If kept for longer it becomes soggy.
It has a nice creamy, sweet and spicy taste to it with crunchy bites.
Yes, just place the coated cauliflower florets in the lined air fryer basket and turn it on at 350 degree for 15 minutes. Make sure to line its basket with the exact size of parchment paper.
We love it as is like an appetizer. You may serve this as a topping over salad or noodles or in lettuce wraps.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake images because we would love to see what you cooked.
You may also checkout my cookbooks for everyday comforting vegan recipes.
Bang Bang Cauliflower
- 1 recipe vegan mayo
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 + 1/8 cups sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- salt as per taste
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp. white sesame seeds (garnishing)
- 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro (garnishing)
- Preheat oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit an prepare a baking/cookie sheet with a parchment paper. In a bowl combine vegan mayo and panko and mix it well. Then stir in sriracha sauce and maple syrup. Adjust salt as per taste.
- Toss in cauliflower florets and mix it gently by coating each floret with the batter.
- Now, with the help of tongs/fork place individual cauliflower florets on the prepared sheet. Drop the remaining batter on each cauliflower floret so as to cover them thoroughly.
- Place it in the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 30-35 minutes or until crispy. Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro and serve immediately.
- Air fryer option – place the parchment paper in the air fryer basket. Make sure the parchment paper is of exact shape and size of the basket. Follow step 1 and 2. Then, place each individual cauliflower florets in the air fryer basket and cover them with the remaining batter as explained in step3. Attach the basket to the air fryer and turn it on at 350 for 15 minutes. When done, turn it off and detach the basket. Garnish and serve immediately.
- I used my own vegan mayo which is oil free but you may use any ¾ cup of any mayo of your choice.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately.
Marisa F Stewart says
My boys have a tendency to turn up their noses at any kind of vegetable but they do like spicy foods. So, when I saw your recipe for Bang Bang Cauliflower I knew I had a winner. And I was right. They couldn’t stop nibbling on the florets. You’d think I’d given them their nachos and dip. Thank you for the recipe — I’ll be trying it with other veggies.
hahaha 🙂 I can totally relate. So glad you all liked this recipe.
Whenever I buy cauliflower, I am always stuck on what to make with it. This looks like the perfect solution, thanks so much for the recipe 🙂
hope you enjoy it 🙂
This looks so good and I’m so happy that I can use my air fryer. I can’t wait!
We tried it last night, using our air-fryer and it came out so good! I loved the kick from sriracha (but not overpowering), definitely recommend this recipe for any cauliflower fans!
So glad you liked it Anna.
I am all about the cauliflower wings this summer. This bang bang cauliflower has a wonderful sauce that adds tons of flavor.
This cauliflower recipe is baked to perfection! There’ s no better way to enjoy cauliflower than this Bang Bang Cauliflower recipe!
Jere Cassidy says
Oh, my, this bang bang cauliflower looks amazing, I didn’t realize this is so easy to make. Glad to have your recipe.