This vegan Burnt Garlic Eggplant is calling out for you. Its an easy and quick Chinese entrée. Its a perfect weeknight comfort food that is sure to please everyone even the pickiest eater.
Hey, wait…..before you scroll further and ignore this post…..I must tell you that my family isn’t an eggplant eater either….and it’s a struggle for me to feed them this vegetable…..I have failed innumerable times until I succeeded in this recipe.
Yes, this is the only recipe of eggplant that my family enjoys without complaining
it is indeed tough to feed nutritious vegetables to fussy eaters at home which includes my adult husband as well. However, they love this garlic eggplant with steamed rice.
This recipe involves lot of fresh garlic browned in sesame oil…..you will fall in love with the aroma…my guarantee.
I love the delicious incense of burnt garlic….it always increases my appetite no matter how full I am 🙂
After getting the hang of this entrée, my family approved of my vegan moussaka as well. I was totally delighted with their choices.
My other other Chinese recipes that you may like:
However, today I am sharing eggplant recipe with you sautéed in delicious flavors.
I must have made this entrée so many times that my family wondered what took me so long to post it here.
Well, every time I made it we ended up finishing it even beforeI could capture pictures.
Somehow, this time, I managed to click few pictures and I am so excited to share this garlic eggplant recipe with you all.
Ingredients you will need:
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- lemon juice
- black pepper
- sesame seeds
I have used these easily available ingredients in this recipe which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
- sesame oil – even though may use olive oil here but I like to mention that sesame oil definitely brings out the authentic Chinese flavor in this dish.
- garlic – it is important to use fresh garlic here to get the right flavor and the traditional aroma.
- eggplant – I specifically used Chinese eggplant which is slender and long. The regular eggplant can also be used but might tastes different than the original recipe. This vegetable is high in dietary fiber, helps control blood cholesterol, improves hair and complexion, increases energy and helps maintain overall healthy body weight. Overall eggplants are high in potassium, magnesium and antioxidants.
- soy sauce – to maintain the right sodium content I used low/reduced soy sauce. You may however, substitute it with tamari as well.
How to make Burnt Garlic Eggplant
- Firstly, I heated sesame oil in a wok or a nonstick pan and sautéed garlic in it until they were golden.
- Secondly, I tossed in eggplants and cooked until they were soft and cooked inside through yet golden at the outer skin.
- Thereafter, I folded in rest of the ingredients in it and cooked for another 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly, I garnished it with sesame seeds and served immediately with steamed rice.
We all loved it. however, I personally preferred it with brown rice to add more nutrition and fiber to my meal.
Sometimes, if I have enough time I pair it with Hakka noodles and it becomes a complete restaurant style meal.
This tastes best when served immediately.
Even though I used sesame oil in this recipe but the rest of the ingredients are low fat and nutritious. Eggplant is a healthy vegetable which I complimented with fresh garlic and scallions. Therefore, this is also a great source for antioxidants. Overall, it is a satisfying healthy meal which can be enjoyed frequently.
it has a distinct flavor of garlic with meaty eggplant texture. It is seasoned with salty soy sauce and citrus. Therefore, it has a typical Chinese taste to it.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make it then please leave your feedback in the comments along with a 5-star rating. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with you recipe remake images because we would love to see what you cooked.
In addition you may checkout my cookbooks for everyday comforting recipes too.
Burnt Garlic Eggplant
- Heat oil in a wok and add garlic. Let it cook in a low flame until golden and crispy.
- Add eggplants to it and sauté. Cook covered until eggplants are light golden and soft.
- Add rest of the ingredients and cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve warm with steamed/ brown rice.