This wholesome Tofu Sandwich is packed with flavor and nutrition. It is a complete meal with the essential macronutrients. It’s a hearty and healthy vegan lunch idea that everyone will enjoy!
I love tofu and I always come up with a variety of recipes with tofu. Its my favorite vegan protein.
I always have couple of packs in my refrigerator. So, whenever I run out of ideas, most of the time, I simply make tofu nuggets for snacking or make a quick tofu soup. Sometimes, I even make tofu steaks to pair it with my pasta.
Overall, I think tofu is the most versatile ingredient which can be adapted to any type of recipe.
This time I wanted to experiment a sandwich recipe with it for back-to-school lunches. It worked and my family loved it.
Hence, we have been enjoying this easy tofu sandwich for about 3 weeks now. Of course, not every day, because everyone needs a change of taste but once every week it is a must for us.
Its easy and moreover, I simply keep the baked tofu in the refrigerator ready. It has become a part of my meal prepping. Whenever, needed I simply toast them and assemble in a sandwich for all of us.
Of course, I have provided pan seared option and air fryer option as well which you will find later here as you scroll down.
So, today I am here to share this awesome tofu sandwich recipe.
Ingredients for easy Tofu Sandwich
I have used these easily available ingredients here which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you.
Tofu – it’s a soy product wit lot of health benefits. Primarily being high in protein. It is important to use extra firm tofu here and must be pressed for about 20 minutes. The firmer the better.
Nutritional yeast – this provides vitamin B12 to this recipe along with a nice cheesy and salty flavor.
Paprika – even though chili powder can be used here, I preferred paprika, so as to not make it very spicy and yet give a hint of it.
Oregano – I used the dried herb form to add a bit of flavor here.
Garlic powder – this is a must to enhance and balance the overall taste of the recipe.
Whole grain bread – I used Dave Killers bread because it’s the healthiest and protein rich bread that’s available in the store. However, you may bake your own and this spelt bread or whole wheat bread works awesome in this sandwich.
Vegan thousand island dressing – I would highly recommend blending your own to make it heathier. I used this dressing to add a bit of sweetness and zesty flavor to the entire sandwich. You may also use vegan mayo instead.
Tomatoes – I specifically used tomatoes in this recipe because of its flavor, texture and color. Moreover, I chopped tomatoes and added some salt and pepper to it. Mixed it nicely and then placed them between toasted breads in the sandwich. It was delicious.
Avocado – this adds healthy fats and a creaminess to each bite. Also, it balances out the entire flavor of the recipe with its subtle bland and sweet taste. However, make sure to stick to the measurement of ¼ avocado (sliced) to be within calorie limits.
Spinach – you may use lettuce leaves instead or any green leaves of your choice here.
Red Bean Hummus – I used my homemade humus which was made with a combination of kidney beans and eggplant. However, you may use store bought spicy hummus here to compliment this tofu sandwich.
How to make Tofu Sandwich
Step1: how to prepare the marinate
In this step, I combined nutritional yeast, paprika, oregano, garlic and salt and mixed it well with a spoon.
Then, I kept it aside.
Step2: how to marinate
Firstly, I pressed tofu for about 20 minutes between kitchen towels and with a weight.
Secondly, I drained the extra water and sliced lengthwise into 8 steak slices (about ¼ inch thickness each).
Thereafter, I took a slice of tofu and rolled it in the marinate from all sides. I made sure that its thickly coated from all six side.
Next, I placed it immediately on the prepared baking sheet.
I completed this step with all the slices marinating and placed the baking sheet in the middle rack of the pre-heat oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit.
Then, I baked it for 20 minutes.
After which, I took the tray out and gently released each slice with a flat spatula from the bottom. Then, I flipped them with the help of tongs.
Afterwards, I baked them for another 10 minutes.
Once done, I turned off the oven and took it out.
Then, I let it cool down a bit (for about 5 minutes).
Step3: how to assemble
Firstly, I toasted 2 slices of whole grain bread.
In the meanwhile, I chopped tomatoes and mixed it with salt and black pepper and kept it aside.
Once, toasted I spread vegan thousand island on one slice and hummus on the other slice.
Then, I placed some greens on one of the slices follow by baked tofu.
Next, I topped tofu with tomatoes and sliced avocadoes.
Lastly, I covered it with another toast and too a big bite of it.
I was enjoying it heartily and it took me to another satisfaction level.
After a very long time my lunch was wholesome and complete with deliciousness filled.
I served it to all my family members and they had the same satisfaction.
Now that its time for back to school again these can be an excellent lunch box meal.
Moreover, it can be prepped ahead of time and simply needs assembling when ready.
The best part in here is that tofu can be baked crisp or simply air fried and both tastes equally delicious.
- Make 2 tbsp. extra marinate so that you may sprinkle more on top of tofu slices while on the baking sheet.
- It is important to flip after 20 minutes of baking so that each slice is well cooked from both sides and through inside.
- To flip the baked tofu, make sure to gently release the slices from the parchment paper with a flat spatula. Tofu sticks slightly due to its moisture but releases easily too. Then flip with the help of tongs making sure that marinate still sticks to it.
The sandwich in itself becomes soggy so its best to consume immediately. But tofu can be cooked and refrigerated for about 2 weeks.
Yes, I made it oil free and has no added sugar. I also recommend making your own dressing and spreads to make it healthier and nutritious along with being low calorie. The veggies add fiber to this dish. Overall, this lunch can be enjoyed every day.
Stove top: You may pan sear the tofu for which you need to grease a nonstick pan with a cooking spray or heat 2 tsp olive oil in it. Then, place the marinated tofu slices on it. Cook at medium flame until golden brown and flip over to the other side gently with a spatula. Cook again until golden brown.
Air fry: You may also air fry them by placing the marinated slices in the air fryer basket. Attach the basket to the air fryer and turn it on at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until its firm and golden in color.
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments along with a 5-star rating. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake image because we would love to see what you cooked.
You may also checkout my cookbook for everyday vegan comfort recipes.
- 1 15 oz. extra firm tofu (drained and pressed)
- Preheat oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with a parchment paper. Place tofu block between kitchen towels and put a heavy weight on it for at least 10 minutes. Drain the extra water and slice tofu length wise into 8 steak pieces (¼ inch thickness each). Keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine nutritional yeast, paprika, oregano, garlic powder and salt. Mix well.
- Now, take a tofu slice in your hand and coat it well with the marinate from all side. It should be a thick coating. Turn the piece gently to all the six sides making sure its well covered with the marinate.
- Place it immediately on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat the above process with the rest of the tofu slices. Feel free to sprinkle leftover marinate if any on the slices.
- Bake it in the middle rack of the oven for 20minutes. Take it out and with the help of the spatula release each tofu slice gently from the bottom without breaking. Then, with the help of the tongs flip all the slices to the other side. Make sure the marinate still sticks to them. Bake again for another 10 minutes. Turn it off and take it out. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, toast the bread and spread vegan thousand island dressing on one slice and hummus on the other slice. Place baby spinach on one slice and two tofu slices. Place chopped or sliced tomatoes followed by sliced avocado. Cover it with the other slice of toast. Press it a bit to make it form and cut with it into 2 halves with a bread knife and enjoy!
- Cooking variations:
- Stove top option: heat 2 tsp oil in a nonstick pan or grease it with cooking spray. Place marinated tofu slices and cook at medium flame until golden brown in color from the bottom. Gently flip each slice with the help of spatula/tongs and cook again until golden brown in color. When done, take them out with the spatula and assemble in a sandwich.
- Air fryer option: place marinated tofu slices in the air fryer basket and attach it to the air fryer. Turn it on at 375 degree for 15-20 minutes or until the slices are firm and golden in color. When done, take it out and let it cool a bit. Then, refrigerate or assemble in a sandwich.
- The cooked tofu can be refrigerated in a covered container for about 2 weeks. Simply microwave or toast them when ready to assemble in a sandwich.
- You may use sliced tomatoes and sprinkle some salt as per taste. I personally like to finely chop tomatoes in a small bowl and mix in salt and black pepper. Then, I let it sit for 2-3 minutes until it releases its juice and acquires a nice flavor.
- This recipe makes 8 slices and the serving size is 2 slices per sandwich.