This Tofu Steak Spaghetti is a delightful combination of crispy vegan protein and saucy carbohydrate. Its lip smackingly satisfying and delicious in every bite.
This recipe is a fusion which I have created out of my love for a steak in a combination with pasta because carbs and protein is important in our diet. Sometimes, I get bored with regular red sauce so I came up with this unique sauce recipe for spaghetti.
However, this tofu steak is my pure imagination because I like it crispier than the regular steak. Since, I wanted Italian dinner, I developed this Italian flavored tofu steak that pairs excellently with this spaghetti recipe.
Ingredients for Tofu Steak Spaghetti
For Tofu Steak
Extra firm tofu
Crushed chili flakes
Caper in salted brine
How to make this Tofu Steak Spaghetti
Firstly, I combined all the steak ingredients in a bowl. Then, I rolled thick tofu slices into it and placed them on the baking sheet. Next, I sprinkled some more steak mixture on them and sprayed some cooking spray. Then, I baked them in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
Secondly, I melted some vegan butter in a nonstick pan and added garlic, oregano, chili flakes and nutritional yeast to it. After mixing it, I stirred in vegetable stock and coconut milk. Next, I seasoned it with salt and pepper. I cooked it covered for 10 minutes at medium flame.
Later, I tossed in cooked spaghetti and capers. Then, I let it rest for few minutes until all the flavors blended well.
Lastly, I assembled the entire recipe in a serving plate and served it with a fork and knife.
- In addition, I like to sprinkle the leftover steak mixture over my dish to give that extra punch to the recipe.
- Take tofu steak out of the oven only when ready to serve because it tastes best when served immediately.
- Its best to prepare the ingredients before you start to cook because if the entire recipe comes out together at the same time, it tastes best.
This recipe tastes best when served immediately.
Yes, I have mentioned the details in the notes below.
This recipe has a prominent Italian herbs flavor along with some tangy taste to it due to capers. Overall, it has a saucy, buttery, tangy, salty taste in every bite.
Tofu is high in protein and low in carbohydrate. With simple dry rub and baking techniques or air frying I saved on the oil calories. On the other hand, for spaghetti I used simple ingredients and made it without any heavy cream. In fact, I used coconut milk from tetra pack beverage and added vegetable stock for extra flavor. Therefore, this recipe is healthier than other Italian comfort foods.
You may also like:
Roasted Brussel Sprouts Fettuccine Alfredo
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
Vegan Habanero Cauliflower Spaghetti
Spicy Garlic Spaghetti in Broccoli Sauce
Vegan Pepper Jack Pumpkin Fettuccine
Cajun Tofu Pasta Bowl
Seitan and Pasta in Spicy Peanut Sauce
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Tofu Steak Spaghetti
For tofu steak
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed chili flakes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack/carton)
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 4 cups cooked thin spaghetti (regular/whole grain)
- 1/4 cup capers in salted brine
For tofu steak
- Preheat oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet and mix all the steak ingredients (except tofu) in a mixing bowl.
- Then, roll each slice of tofu into the mixture generously and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle more steak mixture on each tofu slices (about 1 tbsp) and place the baking sheet in the oven. Spray them with cooking spray so as to avoid drying up.
- Next, bake it for 30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy from outside.
- Melt butter in a nonstick pan and add garlic,oregano, chili flakes and nutritional yeast. Mix it.
- Now add vegetable stock and coconut milk and stir. Cook covered on low – medium flame for 10 minutes or until first couple of boils. Stir at intervals of 2 minutes so as to avoid any milk curdle. Season it with salt and black pepper and mix again.
- Toss in cooked spaghetti and capers.
- Turn it off. Let it rest covered for about 5 minutes. Assemble spaghetti and tofu steak in a serving plate and sprinkle some more steak mixture if desired. Enjoy!
- For Air Fry option: Mix all the steak ingredients (except tofu) in a bowl and follow step 2 of tofu steak. Then place each tofu slice in Air fryer basket. Cover each slice with more steak mixture and spray them with a cooking spray for crispier steak. Air fry them at 350 degree for 15 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- There should be about 4 thick tofu slices or up to 6 slices depending on your choice of thickness.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately. If kept longer tofu steak softens quite a bit. Spaghetti also absorbs its sauce.
- I recommend using thin spaghetti for this recipe over regular one so that the spaghetti is not overwhelming the flavors of this entire dish.
- 1/2 of 16 oz pack of uncooked spaghetti = 4 cups cooked spaghetti