This delicious and healthy Spicy Lentil Sandwich is packed with protein, fiber and complex carbohydrates making it perfect for lunch or dinner. It’s the best vegetarian meal option with rich flavors and is hearty and flavorful.
Whether you are a seasoned vegetarian or just looking to add more plant-based meals to your diet, this lentil sandwich recipe is sure to become a favorite in your meal rotation.
They are the best option for school lunch boxes too.
I like to eat a variety of food for my lunch so my favorite tomato cucumber pasta salad is an amazing option too.
Also, I like to toss my vegan cabbage salad recipe quite frequently.
Sometimes, when I crave for hot lunches, I quickly toss together quinoa, mushroom and tofu for a complete meal.
However, Sandwiches are the most preferred and so easy to fix especially this lentil salad sandwich.
What are lentils?
Lentils come from legume family and in many varieties. Red, brown/green, back and yellow are the common ones.
Health benefits of lentils
Lentils have been found to lower cholesterol levels in people with diabetes. Its packed with fiber and complex carbohydrates mainly. However, its protein content makes them perfect option for a vegan diet. Lentils are also known to support the digestive system and are heart healthy as well.
I often like to make lentils in Indian style and so vegan dal tadka is my family’s favorite.
For a more creative recipe, I make breakfast cutlets.
Lentil burger is equally delicious and worth trying.
These days we are always drooling over my vegan Bolognese recipe which is a combination of pasta and lentils.
Lentils – I used dry green lentil which sometimes is referred as brown lentils too. You may us red lentils instead of desired in this sandwich recipe.
Herbs and Spices – I used simple herbs and spices that was available in my spice rack. You can be creative and add any flavors of your choice.
Sriracha sauce – any hot sauce works but I prefer the taste of sriracha sauce.
Nutritional yeast – this gives a nice flavor and a subtle cheesy taste it. Moreover, nutritional yeast adds vitamin B12 to the lentils stuffing.
Bread – I prefer to use whole grain or sprouted bread but any bread of your choice can be used to make this lentil sandwich.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
How to make
Firstly, I heated olive oil in a saucepan and sautéed onions in it until translucent.
Secondly, I added garlic powder, turmeric, oregano and nutritional yeast to it. Then, I sautéed until onions well well coated.
Next, I tossed in rinsed lentils and folded in sriracha sauce.
Thereafter, I poured in water and stirred salt in it.
Afterwards, I let it cook uncovered at high flame until half of the liquid was absorbed. Then, I lowered the heat to medium flame and covered the saucepan with a lid.
Then, I let it cook until all liquid was absorbed. Lastly I removed the lid and stirred it well by scraping from the bottom.
Then, I removed the saucepan from the heat and kept it aside.
To assemble, I placed a vegan cheese slice on one of the bread slice and toasted both the bread slices in the toaster oven. In order to make sure that the cheese melts you may toast them in a skillet on the stove top.
Then, I placed them on a flat working counter. I placed the lettuce on the plain toast followed by tomato slices and pickles.
After this, I scooped the stuffing and topped the veggies with it.
Lastly, I placed the melted cheese toast on it and pressed with my hand. Just before serving, I sliced the sandwich into two and paired with ketchup and pickles.
My whole family devoured it for our lunch and could not stop praising.
Hence, I often make this easy lentil sandwich.
Once the lentils are cooked and cooled at room temperature, you may refrigerate them in an air tight glass container for about 2 weeks. Just before serving, microwave for 10-15 seconds to bring them at room temperature and slightly on a warm side. This lentil spread should not be steaming hot when assembling into a sandwich.
- Make sure to cook at high flame uncovered until half of the liquid is absorbed.
- It is important that lentils should be not be mushy in this sandwich recipe so do not add more water than mentioned in here.
Yes! Since the lentils are not super mushy and the breads are toasted this sandwich will be able to hold. Just do not over stuff.
You may use canned lentils but the cooking time will change. Since they are preboiled you do not need to add so much water. Simply rinse and follow the rest of instructions. Add little water so it can absorbed. Also adjust the spices as per taste.
I definitely know that this recipe does not take very long to cook and the stove top cooking gives a better crunchy texture. Instant pot might make the lentils more mushy.
More vegan sandwich recipes
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Spicy Lentil Sandwich
- 8 slices of whole grain bread
- 4 vegan cheddar cheese slices
- lettuce leaves
- round sliced tomatoes
- sliced pickles
- Heat oil in a saucepan on a high flame and sauté onions in it until translucent.
- Add garlic powder, oregano, turmeric and nutritional yeast to it. Mix until onions are well coated.
- Add rinsed lentils and sriracha sauce. Mix well.
- Stir in water and salt and let it cook uncovered at high flame until half of the liquid is absorbed. Bring the flame to medium heat and cook covered until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the lid and stir the lentils by scraping from the bottom. Turn off the flame and remove the lentils from the heat. Keep it aside.
- Place a cheese slice on one of the bread slices and toast both the bread slices side by side in a toaster oven. Toast until the cheese melts. Take them out and place them on a flat working counter. Repeat this step for the rest of the bread slices.
- On the plain toast, place lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced pickles. Top it with 1-2 scoops of cooked lentils. (Do not over stuff). Cover it with the melted cheese toast and press it slightly with your hand. Cut the sandwich into two halves. Repeat this step for the rest of the servings. Enjoy!
- How to store – Once the lentils are cooked and cooled at room temperature, you may refrigerate them in an air tight glass container for about 2 weeks. Just before serving, microwave for 10-15 seconds to bring them at room tempreture and slightly on a warm side. This lentil spread should not be steaming hot when assembling into a sandwich.
- The lentils should not be mushy and should retain its texture. Do not over cook and do not add extra water.
- Toasting in the oven toaster is the best for melting cheese on a toast but you may toast in a skillet on stove top as well to melt the cheese on the bread slice.
- The nutritional value will vary depending on your choice of bread and cheese.