These chewy and chocolaty, fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies with Chickpea Flour and topped with peanut butter swirl are flavorful and nutrition packed. They are oil free, gluten free, soy free. Its a fun baking project that serves as great after school snack or as delectable healthy treat.
I love the chewy texture of brownies but if its healthier then its my favorite combo.
The fudgy chocolate taste always attracts me towards it and is my preferred dessert. However, this time I thought of baking vegan sweet potato brownies myself.
Since, I always like to add a pinch of health in my recipes I decided to go with chickpea flour. This way, I added a bit of protein to it along with other nutrition. I was amazed that it brought out such a delectable flavor in these chocolate sweet potato brownies.
Health benefits of chickpea flour
Being a low carb nutritious grain its a great alternative to regular flour. Its high in protein and low in calories. Chickpea flour is a great source of fiber and is packed with B vitamins. So, I made vegan pot pie and vegan feta cheese.
Which sweet potato to use for these brownies?
Many variety of sweet potato is available but the orange sweet potato with red skin works best here.
Health benefits of sweet potatoes
Its high in fiber and nutrient packed. Along with promoting gut health sweet potatoes also promote healthy vision. They also improve the immune system by fighting again diseases and germs.
My other sweet potato recipes that might like:
Afterwards, I got the idea of decorating these with some swirl. I must say, I had to practice it for a week. Sometimes, I got it right and most of the times it looked like a butter spread.
However, I and my daughter had lot of fun playing around. Finally, we nailed it and got the right technique.
Ingredients for healthy sweet potato brownies
Melted chocolate chips
Soaked chia seeds
Dairy free milk
Hence, I used simple ingredients but made these chocolate sweet potato brownies fancier.
Chickpea flour – I wanted a healthy binder for this recipe so I decided to use chickpea flour also know as garbanzo flour. Even though garbanzo flour and besan are two different ingredients but you may use besan in this recipe and it will work equally fine.
Almond flour – I used it to smoothen the taste of these vegan brownies and balance out the strong flavor of chickpea flour here.
Sweet potatoes – it’s the star of my recipe. Its high in fiber and healthier form of potatoes. Its sweet in taste and extremely easy to handle. At the same time this root veggie is versatile and brings out the gooeey texture in this dessert perfectly.
Maple syrup – I wanted to use a healthier sweetener which is not processed. Therefore, I decided to go with pure maple syrup to add health and nutrition to these potato brownies.
Chia seeds – it’s a great substitute and has lots of fiber and sufficient protein in it.
Peanut butter – This adds protein and nuttier flavor to these brownies. Also, it helped me create some swirls on these brownies which in turn made them even more attractive and beautiful to present.
Walnuts – It’s a healthy nut which gives a lot of crunch to these brownies which in turn makes these even more desirable and delicious. Its rich in antioxidants and other vitamins and minerals.
For detailed measurement of ingredients please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Sweet Potato Brownies with Chickpea Flour
Firstly, I combined all the dry ingredients in mixing bowl and mixed it with a spatula.
Secondly, I blended all the wet ingredients in a blender until it was thick, creamy and smooth but not runny.
Next, I whipped up the dough like batter by folding in wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Afterwards, I melted the peanut butter mixture and whipped it smooth.
Thereafter, I spooned out the batter on the prepared baking pan and shaped it evenly.
Now, comes the tricky part to create swirl. For this, I dropped spoonful of dollops on the shaped brownie batter in the baking pan. Then, I flattened its edge with the back of a spoon. Now, with the help of a chopstick I randomly made small circular motion on the peanut butter creating swirls.
Lastly, I topped it with chopped walnuts and baked it in a pre-heated oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit for 35 minutes.
Once done, I turned it off and took it out.
We could not wait and immediately sliced it, however, its better to let it cool a bit and then slice them.
I must have made like 3 batches by now and every time we end up finishing the same day.
- 1 large sweet potato equals to 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes so make sure to get that measurement correct.
- Melt the peanut putter only after shaping the batter in the baking pan or else peanut butter will firm up making the swirl difficult.
- I used 9-inch baking pan for this recipe but feel free to 8-inch baking pan and it will work equally fine.
- Even though chickpea flour and besan are two different ingredients, besan also works fine in this recipe.
The leftovers can be refrigerated in an air tight glass container for about 3 weeks. You may enjoy it cold or warm it up in microwave for 10 seconds.
These sweet potato brownies have a sweet chocolaty and nutty flavor to it. You may not taste the sweet potatoes very prominently but might get a slight strong flavor of chickpea flour on and off. The crunch of the walnuts add to its nutty and raw taste which makes them extremely satisfying.
I have not tried freezing them but they can be refrigerated for sure.
The red/orange large sized sweet potato works best for this recipe. Do not go for the white sweet potato.
I have made it oil free and there is no added sugar. That means I have not used any processed sugar and instead I used pure maple syrup which has lots of health benefits. I have used a variety of nuts in various form which provides healthy fats to this recipe. At the same time, I used chickpea flour to add protein in it. Also, sweet potato adds lot of fiber and with chia seeds I have added the protein content along with other nutrition. The only indulging ingredient I used here is dairy free chocolate chips which again is included in a very limited quantity. So therefore, these are healthy sweet potato brownies and can be enjoyed as a snack as well.
Yes, I have boiled it which you may do so in an instant pot or saucepan or even microwave. Then, after cooling it down a bit I simply peeled it and placed it in the blender.
More recipes of brownies for you to try:
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Sweet Potato Brownies with Chickpea Flour
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp dairy free milk
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven at 350 degree and place a parchment paper over 9-inch square baking pan or brownie pan. In a mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and mix very well with a spatula.
- In a blender, combine all the wet ingredients and blend it smooth. It will be thick and not runny.
- Now, spoon out the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix it with a spatula to form a thick dough like soft batter.
- Spoon out the batter on the prepared baking pan and even out with the spatula by gently shaping the batter according to the pan.
- In a microwavable bowl combine the swirl ingredients and microwave it for 1 minute. Take it out and whip it quickly with a spoon until smooth.
- Put spoonful blobs of melted peanut butter randomly on the top of the batter (in the baking pan).
- Then with a chopstick simply swirl it into rotating motion until nicely swirled. (small circular motion will give you nice swirl). Top it with walnuts and place it in the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 35 minutes. Turn it off and take it out. Slice into 9 squares and enjoy.
- To melt chocolate chips – combine it in a microwavable bowl and microwave it for 1 minute. Take it out and whip it with a spoon. If it is still not melted microwave it again for 30 seconds. Take it out and whip it vigorously with a spoon. If you still do not get it melted microwave it for only 15 seconds. Not beyond that or else it will start to taste burnt.
- To soak chia seeds – just when you start pre-heating oven and your baking pan is ready soak chia seeds. It should be thickened. That is we want it soaked for about 4-5 minutes not for very long.
- Melt peanut butter after when you have shaped the batter in the baking pan. If melted peanut butter is left at room temperature for longer it will thicken and become firm which will not give a nice swirl.
- 1 large sweet potato = 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- This recipe makes 9 big squares and the serving size is 1 square per person.
- I have used 9-inch square baking pan but you may use 8-inch square baking pan as well.