These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Latkes are absolutely oil free and very quick to make. It’s perfectly seasoned and are crisp from outside and soft from inside.
Even though potato latkes are made during Hanukkah we tried it at this time. We can say the festivity is around and July 4th is knocking on the door. This time, instead of only grilling, I decided to make something quicker and absolutely hassle free.
My family loved these. Fortunately, I got a chance to get these taste tested from my distant relatives and these sweet potatoes latkes were an instant hit.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Latkes
Cayenne pepper powder
Dairy free milk
Vegan sour cream
Sweet Potatoes – 1 large sweet potato makes about 2 cups shredded potatoes. I peeled it and shredded in a grater using the shredder side of the 4-sided grater.
Cauliflower – I simply put cauliflower florets in the food processor and crushed it finely. You may however, use store bought uncooked riced cauliflower for this recipe.
Chickpea flour – I used this to bind the dough and also to add little protein to the recipe.
Cornstarch – Although this is optional especially if you want a gluten free option, cornstarch absorbs the extra water from the veggies and help in further binding.
How to make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Latkes
- Firstly, I shredded sweet potato and kept it aside.
- Secondly, I combined all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mixed it with a spoon. I personally prefer using my hands to mix this dough to make sure that all the ingredients are nicely mixed.
- Next, I greased my palm and took a small part of the dough in between my palms and then I roughly flattened it round.
- Thereafter, I placed the latkes in the air fryer basket and attached it to the air fryer.
- Afterwards, I turned it on at 350 degree for 10 -1 2 minutes or until it was golden brown and crisp.
I served these with my homemade vegan sour cream and topped it with chives and scallions.
They not only looked beautiful and appetizing, they were gone within minutes.
- After shredding sweet potatoes, you do not need to squeeze out water.
- I greased my palm so that they come out of the palms easily but if desired you may simply shape them in your ungreased palm. It might become a bit messy but it is still workable.
- More importantly, as soon as you mix the dough make sure you immediately start sir frying latkes. The longer the dough stays it starts to release liquid because of the vegetables and milk content.
These tastes best when served immediately. If kept for long they become soft and loses its crispy texture.
These can be served with my vegan sour cream and chives or
Serve them with my vegan tzatziki
Or serve them with my oil free vegan mayo
I have used sweet potatoes which are high in fiber. Then, I used some cauliflower to give it more flavor and fiber along with other nutrients. Lastly, I air fried these without any oil to save on calories. Therefore, these sweet potato latkes are comparatively healthier.
Yes, absolutely. I have provided the details of both the options in the notes under the recipe card below.
Simply skip the cornstarch or you may use gluten free cornstarch. Or else simply add 2 tbsp chickpea flour more. Plus give it couple of extra couple of minutes to air fry so that they bind together nicely.
You may also like:
Roasted Sweet Potatoes in Creamy Habanero Sauce
Sweet Potato Pancakes in Sheet Pan
Peanut Butter Sweet Potato Cookies
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make these then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
If you are looking to explore more delicious recipes of mine then you may checkout my cookbooks.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Latkes
- 2 cups shredded sweet potatoes (see notes)
- 1 cup grated/riced cauliflower (see notes)
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tbsp dried/fresh chives
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions/green onions
- 2 tbsp unsweetened dairy free milk
- Vegan Sour Cream
- chives/green onions
- In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients (except servings) and mix it with a spoon. I prefer using my hands to make sure it is nicely mixed.
- Now, grease your palm with very oil or cooking spray and place about 2 tbsp of the dough on your greased palm. Gently flatten it from the center roughly shaping it round.
- Then, place it in your Air Fryer basket.Depending on air fryers size you may place 4-6 latkes in it at a time. Attach the basket to the air fryer and turn it on at 350 degree for 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned and crispy. Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.
- Top them with sour cream and chives or green onions and serve with your choice of dressing.
- For oven option: Follow steps 1 and 2 . Then place all the latkes on a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake it at 400-degree Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes or util nicely golden browned in color and crisped.
- For stove top : Heat about 1 tbsp olive on a skillet and place the round latkes on it 1-2 at a time. Cook them at low-medium flame until crispy at the bottom and it firms up. Gently flip over to the other side with the help of a flat spatula and cook again until brown and crispy.
- When shredding sweet potatoes make sure to shred it at the shredder side of the 4 sided grater. 1 large peeled sweet potato = 2 cups shredded sweet potato.
- You may simply put cauliflower florets in a food process and pulse it or crush it. You may also use store bought uncooked riced cauliflower for this recipe.
- This recipe make about 12 latkes and the serving size is 2 per person.
- I have provided the nutritional value of these without sour cream.
- When making it on stove top the nutritional value may vary.
Eileen Kelly says
A wonderful recipe for a fabulous latke. The flavors are so well balanced. No lack of crunch either, My family will be enjoying these latkes often.
I ma so happy that you all like this recipe so much 🙂
I am a big fan of latke, and this recipe is so healthier. Love it.
Marisa F. Stewart says
Looks like I’m going to borrow my daughter’s air fryer because I simply have to make these sweet potato latkes. I’m trying to stay away from fried foods but I simply love the crispiness of foods that are fried. Quite a dilemma. You’ve solved my problem when it comes to latkes. Can’t wait to make them.
Thank you Marisa.
I love latkas and especially love that I can use my air fryer to make these, thanks!
Totally! Hope you get a chance to make these soon.
i was sitting on the fence about an air fryer but i think you just convinced me! these look flipping amazing, so tasty!
hahhah 🙂 I am very happy with my air fryer. My recipes are now quick and healthier.
Shelley Fulton says
What a great recipe to make in the air fryer for a lighter non-fried option! So nutritious with both the potatoes and cauliflower, too!
Totally healthy and guilt free. Hope you get a chance to make it soon.
Such a lovely snack recipe. Love the combination of veggies to making these delicious Latkes… I must go for it.
Let me know how it turned out for you 🙂
Bernice Hill says
I bet they were gone in a flash! I sure would like to try sweet potato latkes…now I just need an air fryer!
Aditi Bahl says
I am always on a lookout of good air fryer recipes. This recipe looks so easy to follow and the dish looks so yummy. Saving this for my next cook..
Thank you Aditi. Hope you get a chance to try it out.