Lentil Curry Burger is a protein rich and nutritious vegan delight. Its a fusion combination of curry powder mix and lentils to make it one scrumptious yet healthy burger.
Burgers are all time favorite for most of us but we often try to skip it due to its calorie loaded fast food stigma.
Yes, it’s true that burgers are very high in calories but what if we make burgers at home from scratch? This way we know the ingredients and can make it health friendly. 🙂
With this idea I came up with Lentil Curry Burger. It’s so delicious that even while sharing with you all I am drooling.
This burger recipe is low in calorie, high in protein and big on flavors.
I always prefer making curry powder at home from scratch.
The one and only easiest step to make curry powder is to combine and grind all its ingredients in a food processor.
Then, it can be stored in the spice rack for at least 3 weeks. So you may use it as and when required.
It gives me a chance to do some variations to best suit the taste of my family and friends. I also get a chance to introduce some new ingredients to it. I like to bring out the fusion flavor instead of being traditional which again brings some variety to our meals.
But mostly I try and use easily available ingredients and preferably that’s stocked in my spice rack 🙂
How to make Lentil Curry Burger
I added red lentils to this burger recipe to add protein and good carbs to the burger. Once the lentils are soaked it just takes few simple steps to make it. It indeed is a great step to satisfy your taste buds and your burger cravings.
Once the curry powder and lentils are ready, I heated some oil in a nonstick pan.
Then added sesame seeds and curry powder to it.
Now, poured coconut milk and tossed in ground lentils.
After letting it cook for 5-7 minutes and turned off the flame so the lentil mixture could cool down.
Lastly, I mix in plain bread crumbs and made patties between my palms.
Now, the only thing left was to grill/bake these patties.
FAQs for Lentil Curry Burger
- I always prefer my burgers in a lettuce wrap instead of buns to save on the carb and the calories. It tastes equally divine in both lettuce wraps and between buns with your favorite dressing and salad.
- These burger patties taste best when grilled but can be baked in a preheated oven or on a pan by turning sides.
- These patties are chewy and flavorful and most importantly they are guilt free.
I found an innovative way to feed lentils to my family. What are you waiting for? Get up and get started to enjoy these healthful burgers. 🙂
Lentil Curry Burger
For the curry powder
- 3 whole dry red chilies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds/powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tsp chopped cilantro (dried/fresh)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh lemongrass
For the burger
- 2 cups red lentil (soaked and rinsed)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- In a grinder/food process grind the ingredients of curry powder as smooth as possible. Keep it aside.
- Grind the lentils separately in a grinder/food processor as smooth as possible. (Make sure there is no water in it). Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add sesame seeds.
- Immediately add above prepared curry powder and toss for few seconds until its aromatic.
- Now add coconut milk to it and mix quickly. Add lentil and salt to it and mix very well.
- Cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes (Its OK if lentil sticks to the pan, once cooled, it will peel off easily. Make sure to cook properly in medium flame to avoid any raw taste in lentil).
- Turn off the flame and let it cool. Take this lentil mixture in a mixing bowl and add bread crumbs and mix with your hands.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and form ball between your palms and press from the center making sure that the edges do not break too much.
- For grilling - Prepare your grill by greasing it lightly and grill the burger patties and enjoy with your favorite buns, salad and dressing.
- For baking option - Preheat the oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit and line your cookie sheet. Grease it well and bake the patties for 15-20 minutes or until done. If the patties get too dry take the patties out of the oven and oil brush after 15 minutes and put it back for further cooking.
- These burger patties are chewy and firm but delicious and healthy.
- These burger tastes best when served immediately.
- Curry powder can be stored in the spice rack for at least 3 weeks.