These healthy and nutritious Lentil Broccoli Breakfast Cutlets are perfect for any day of the week. It’s a make ahead recipe that fits the lunch box menu also. Its an awesome way to feed the protein and the greens to the kids for their complete nourishment.
I was feeling lazy on Sunday morning. I was craving for that extra 5 minutes of sleep. Yet, I was excited to run into my kitchen. Something was cooking in my mind.
I had soaked red lentils overnight. I wanted to try this new recipe as a surprise breakfast for my family. Also, I wanted to see their reaction. This Lentil Broccoli Breakfast Cutlets have the most nutritious ingredients like lentils and broccoli.
Nutritious ingredients for Lentil Broccoli Breakfast Cutlets
Cayenne pepper powder
Vegan bread crumbs/panko
How to make Lentil Broccoli Breakfast Cutlets
- To make it simple I combined soaked and drained red lentils and broccoli florets into the grinder.
- And then made a smooth paste out of it.
- Next, I spooned the thick batter in a mixing bowl.
- Thereafter, I folded in rest of the ingredients which were mostly different kinds of herbs. Herbs added more flavors to this recipe. The bread crumbs made these cutlets crispy.
- Make sure to soak the lentils overnight for it to soften. this helps in making it a smooth paste.
- Drain all the water diligently. Any extra water in food processor will make this batter thin and difficult to form a patty or a cutlet shape.
- I served these with their choices of sauces and a bowl of fresh fruits on the side. I used the leftovers for lunch the next day.
- These cutlets can be made way ahead of time and refrigerated. They have a shelf life of 3-4 days.
- The cutlets can be made without bread crumbs/panko too. I have mentioned the process in the note section of the recipe card.Head over to your kitchen and try this now. It’s a winner recipe.
If you would like to check out more recipes with broccoli then here are some of my favorites:
For Lentils check these out:
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feed back in the comment section below and make sure to rate the recipe as well. You may also tag @kiipfit on Instagram and I will definitely shout it out there.
Lentil Broccoli Breakfast Cutlets
- In a food processor combine lentils and broccoli florets and grind smooth.
- Spoon the batter into a mixing bowl and fold in rest of the ingredients (except bread crumbs).
- Divide the batter into 10 equal parts. Take one part of the batter and form patty shape between the palms and roll into the bread crumbs.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the batter.
- Grease the warm frying pan/griddle with oil or cooking spray and place the cutlets gently without breaking.
- Cooking on one side until brown and firm. Flip the cutlet to the other side and cook again until crispy.
- With the help of a flat spatula place the cutlets in a serving dish and enjoy with ketchup and a side salad.
- Measure the lentils before soaking.
- Soak red lentil for at least an hour in warm water preferably overnight. If soaking overnight then feel free to soak in normal cold water.
- For gluten free option leave the bread crumbs out. Form the cutlets and directly place them in the greased griddle/frying pan. In this case the cutlet will be soft but will taste as delicious.
- This recipe yields 10 cutlets and the serving size is 2 cutlets per person.
- These cutlets can be made ahead and refrigerated in an air tight container for 3-4 days.