Vegan Sour Cream is an easy recipe that’s made with only 6 ingredients and in 5 minutes. It’s thick, creamy, tangy and perfect to use in any dish where sour cream is required.
I have tried to make this sour cream with healthy ingredients so as to make it low in calories and also low in carbohydrates too.
It is so perfect and versatile that goes well in any Mexican-inspired dish. It’s an excellent substitute for regular dairy sour cream and wonderfully works on baked potatoes.
Ingredients for Vegan Sour Cream
Extra firm tofu
Raw cashew Nuts
Apple cider vinegar
Unsweetened almond milk
How to make this Vegan Sour Cream
- It’s a one step recipe. So, first and the only step is to combine all the ingredients in a food processor/blender and blend it until its smooth and creamy.
- Lastly, now, spoon it out in a glass jar to refrigerate and use when needed.
I love to make my own food. It gives me a lot of flexibility to use the ingredients that I want and the type of ingredients. Therefore, I end up using the freshest and the healthiest ones.
- Most importantly, use a powerful blender or a food processor for this so that the sour cream becomes smooth and creamy.
- Another important thing is that I have used the twin pack of extra firm tofu. Therefore, it was easy to measure tofu, since I used the exact half of the twin pack. Rather, you may use the regular big pack of 15 ounce and subsequently divide it in two halves.
- For this recipe, there is no need to press tofu. Therefore, simply drain the excess water that comes with the package.
- I have used whole raw cashew nuts in this recipe but chopped unsalted cashew nuts also work here.
- I have used almond milk to keep it low in calories but feel free to use any dairy free milk.
Frequently asked questions:
How long do they last?
It lasts for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator in an air tight glass container.
In which recipes can I use this vegan sour cream?
It pairs well with any Mexican dish or baked potatoes.
Can I substitute cashew nuts with something else?
I have not tried it with any other nuts, however, I can guarantee that cashew nuts work best in this recipe.
Other sauce/dip recipe that you may like:
Oil free Vegan Mayo
Nut Free Vegan Cream Cheese
Red Bean Hummus Dip
Fire Roasted Jalapeno Dip
Sriracha Mango Dip
Simple Sweet Potato Dip
Did you make this recipe?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Vegan Sour Cream
- 1/2 of 15 oz extra firm tofu ( not silken tofu) (drained)
- 1/4 cup raw whole cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a food processor/blender combine all the ingredients
and blend it until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon it out in a glass jar and use immediately
- Pressing of tofu in this recipe is not required. Just drain and remove the excess water.
- It’s easier to measure ½ of 15 oz tofu if you buy a twin pack. In that case use only one of the twin packs for this recipe.
- This recipe stores well in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks in a glass container.
Mary Bostow says
This is so awesome, we have people in our family who eat Vegan, they’re going to love this!
What a great recipe to have on my archives – I have so many vegan friends and am always in need of things like these so I can feed them delicious things!
What?! I didn’t even know that was possible. Sour cream really bothers my stomach so having another alternative is awesome!
Jenni LeBaron says
This is such a brilliantly creamy recipe for vegan sour cream! This is going to be so delicious on top of salads and quesadillas!
I am not vegan, but I love ways to eat healthier. Such a good alternative and it looks creamy.
Cathleen @ A Taste of Madness says
I can’t believe I have never thought to make vegan sour cream before! This sounds so good, and with ingredients I already have at home!!
Thank you Cathleen! I hope you get a chance to enjoy this recipe soon.
Marisa F. Stewart says
Can’t believe this recipe comes together so quickly. What a great way to save on calories and make it vegan too. I have several recipes I want to include this sour cream in.
Thank you Marisa. Hope you like it!
Pam Greer says
My daughter is vegan and I can’t wait for her to try this vegan sour cream! I’m not even vegan and I love it!
This is a great recipe, perfect cream substitute for vegans!
Jacqui DeBono says
This is such a lovely recipe! I would never think that sour cream could be made out of those ingredients!
Kelly Anthony says
You had me at 6 ingredients and only 5 minutes! What a great alternative recipe for vegan sour cream.
Thank you Kelly!
Only 6 ingredients andfive minutes? Unbelievable! The sour cream looks amazing and the consistency is so good. Can’t wait to make it at home now.
Thank you Danielle. Hope you get a chance to enjoy this soon!