This sweet and tangy flavored Sweet Potato Pomegranate Soup is simply outstanding! Its gluten free yet creamy and satisfying. It’s made with few simple ingredients in few easy steps.
Oh boy! I might sound crazy but I love winter and especially when it’s really cold, snowy, and grey and we are covered with sweaters up to our necks. At this time I can only think of a warm bowl of soup bursting with flavors, snuggled under a blanket and watching some relaxing shows on the television.
Not too much planning, staying indoors all together and cozy with each other, is my stress buster. At the same time walking through the grocery store with the smell of festivities just uplifts the mood immensely.
And while I was in my thoughts for the night I filled my cart with lots of pomegranates since it just started to flood the market and of course sweet potatoes, because I was eyeing some healthy carbohydrates for a while.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Pomegranate Soup
I have never made a soup with pomegranate in it and this was my total crazy idea to blend this beautiful red fruit in soup along with the delicious sweet potatoes and season with garlic and basil.
Oh my goodness…..this was the tastiest soup I could ever imagine. I gobbled the whole pan of soup just by saying to myself that “I am only tasting” 🙂
How to make this Sweet Potato Pomegranate Soup
- In the first step I flavored the warm oil with garlic and basil.
- Then, I sauteed in chopped sweet potatoes until brown and add pomegranate kernels in it.
- Next, I poured in vegetable broth and salt and stirred until well cooked and sweet potatoes were soft.
- Later, cooled it down and blended it in a blender.
- Afterwards, I warmed it up again in the same pan and ladled the soup happily and enjoyed it with some home baked bread.
Next day I made some more Sweet Potato Pomegranate Soup for everyone and we all heartily enjoyed it while snuggling under a warm cozy blanket.
This time I topped the soup with some pomegranate kernels because I love pomegranates and wanted to bite on them. And yessss, don’t forget to adjust the spice level as per your preference and enjoy with some dinner rolls.
- This soup tastes best when served immediately. However, it can be refrigerated for about a week.
- This soup can be made in Instant pot also. I have mentioned the details in the notes of the recipe card below.
If you get a chance to cook this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comment section below and rate this recipe. You may also tag @kiipfit on Instagram and I will definitely shout it out there.
Sweet Potato Pomegranate Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 whole sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup pomegranate kernels
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add garlic and basil.
- Now add sweet potatoes and saute.
- Cook covered until sweet potatoes starts browning and are little tender.
- Add pomegranate kernels and cook covered for 30 seconds.
- Add vegetable broth and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- In a blender pour the cooled soup and blend it smooth.
- Strain the soup and warm it again. Season with salt some more pomegranate kernels and enjoy.
- If you like your soup to be spicy feel free to add crushed pepper flakes or black pepper to season it.
- Variation: If you want to make it in your Instant Pot then turn it on at saute mode and heat oil. Then add garlic and basil. Immediately add sweet potatoes and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add pomegranate kernels and mix well. Then add vegetable broth and salt.Close the lid and seal the valve. Change the temperature to soup mode or beans/chili mode (default setting) and let it pressure cook. Once done, release the pressure and open the lid. Blend it in a blender or with immersion blender and enjoy.