This spicy, savory and perfectly seasoned Mexican Quinoa Salad is so delicious and healthy with being protein packed and high in fiber. Packed with beans and veggies, it’s easy, quick, vegan, gluten free and a gloriously make-head recipe.
Mexican quinoa salad has become our recent favorite. Its so flavorful. Its dressing is outstandingly tasty and the cumin flavor just makes it tastier.
The nice subtle tang and the sweetness from the veggies makes this salad so delicious and delectable with being extremely beautiful to present.
Health benefits of quinoa
It’s a complete protein grain and a great substitute to rice. Its high in fiber too and is a complex carbohydrate. Along with assisting in weight loss it also helps in cholesterol and is a heart healthy ingredient since its rich in antioxidants too.
More quinoa recipes for you to try:
Ingredients for Mexican Quinoa Salad
For the dressing
Extra virgin olive oil
I have used very simply and handy pantry staples for this Mexican quinoa salad recipe.
Quinoa – make sure to cook it well. If its fluffy this salad would taste better. You may also mix red and white quinoa for this recipe.
Black beans – this adds protein and a nice Mexican blend to this recipe.
Cilantro – this is a must for the fresh aroma and herb flavor.
Avocado – this adds a bit of sweetness and creaminess in this salad. Moreover, it’s good fat and adds to health and taste in this quinoa salad recipe.
Extra virgin olive oil – its easily available and tastes fantastic. But if you have any other oil preference then that also works but I would recommend adding a little oil to this recipe for it to be moist and juicy.
Herbs – this brings a nice flavor and texture to the final outcome.
Cumin powder – it helps in digestion and in this recipe, it works as magic in bringing out a nice Mexican flavor.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Mexican Quinoa Salad
Step 1: how to cook quinoa
Firstly, I boiled water in a sauce pan and then stirred in rinsed quinoa.
Secondly, I let it cook at high flame until half the liquid was absorbed. I kept stirring at intervals to make sure its fluffy and does not stick at the bottom.
Next, I lowered the flame and cooked covered until all liquid was absorbed. Then, I removed the lid and fluffed with a fork and let it cool.
Step 2: how to make the dressing
In this step, I combined all the dressing ingredients in a glass jar and closed it tight. Then, I shook it well and kept it aside.
Step 3: how to assemble
Firstly, in a large salad mixing bowl, I combined rinsed black beans followed by all the veggies and cilantro.
Secondly, I tossed in quinoa into it.
Then, I drizzled the dressing all over it.
Next, I mixed it well.
Lastly, I folded in chopped avocado and gently mixed it couple of times.
I served it immediately and it was an instant hit.
My family loved it and now I make it on repeat every week. I also include it in meal planning as well.
- It is important to toss avocado at the last or else it will be mushy and get oxidized.
- Make sure to cool quinoa at room temperature before mixing in the salad for the best results.
This taste best when served immediately. However, can be refrigerated in an air tight glass container for about 4-5 days.
Yes, its protein packed and very nutritious. Quinoa is packed with fiber, protein and complex carbs. Black beans are a great source of protein and carb. The veggies are fiber source along with other micronutrients. Overall, it a nutritious and healthy salad which can be devoured every day.
My other salad recipes that you might like:
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Mexican Quinoa Salad
- 3/4 cup rinsed quinoa
- 2 cups water
- In a sauce pan bring water to boil and stir in rinsed quinoa. Cook at high flame until half of the liquid is absorbed. Bring the flame to low-medium and cook covered until all liquid is absorbed. Turn it off and remove the lid. Fluff with a fork and let it cool at room temperature.
- In the meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients in a glass bowl and stir or shake well. Keep it aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine black beans, bell peppers, onion, corn, tomatoes and cilantro.
- Toss in cooked quinoa and drizzle the dressing over the salad. Mix well so that all the ingredients are well coated with the dressing. Taste test and adjust the salt if needed.
- Lastly, fold in chopped avocado and enjoy!
- This taste best when served immediately. The leftovers can be refrigerated in an air tight glass container for about 4-5 days.
- You may prepare ahead of time by cooking quinoa and refrigerating it. The dressing can be refrigerated in the glass jar for 3-4 days. When ready just assemble so as to serve fresh salad.
- Make sure that quinoa is cooled to room temperature before tossing into the salad for the best results.