This Teriyaki Tofu Quinoa Power Bowl is easy, quick and make-ahead dish. It’s nutritious and protein rich yet a delightful weeknight dinner.
Tofu is my favorite vegan protein. Therefore, you must have noticed me posting tofu recipes quite often. It is extremely hard for me to stay away from tofu. And…. why should I? Its healthy, versatile and adapts to any flavor.
Sometimes, we need a change of taste. There are days when taste buds are absolutely confused as to what it wants. This happens to me often. Do you also relate to this feeling?
I love adding variety to my meals. Hence, I end up doing a lot of recipe experiments. I believe cooking is like a science and my kitchen is like a laboratory 😊. However, it’s my favorite space and I completely de-stress while cooking.
I am generally fond of Asian cuisine and always eager to try it as and when I get an opportunity. Teriyaki dishes has been on my top list for a while.
It’s not difficult to make teriyaki sauce, it just needs the right measurements and you can be creative with it. This versatile sauce has sweet, tangy and salty taste to it.
Ingredients for Teriyaki Sauce
Reduce sodium shoyu/soy sauce
One step instruction for the sauce
In a nonstick pan combine all the sauce ingredients. Turn on the flame and whisk continuously until bubbles form. Turn off the flame and let it cool down.
Ingredients for Teriyaki Tofu Quinoa Power Bowl
Extra firm tofu
Red bell pepper
Salt + Pepper
White sesame seeds
How to make Teriyaki Tofu Quinoa Power Bowl
After the sauce is ready combine it with chopped tofu in a mixing bowl. Let it rest for a few minutes.
Then in a nonstick pan heat oil and saute blanched broccoli and red bell pepper. Season is with salt and black pepper. Keep this aside as well.
Thereafter, in the same pan place the marinated tofu pieces and cook until nicely browned. (Reserve the leftover Teriyaki sauce for later use). Once cooked flip the tofu pieces. Cook again for few seconds until well done.
Now, add 1 tbsp of the remaining sauce and gently mix. Turn off the flame immediately.
How to assemble Teriyaki Tofu Quinoa Power Bowl
Take a serving bowl and put some cooked quinoa on one side of it. Then put cooked tofu on the second half of the bowl. Place the sauteed veggies in the remaining third of the bowl.
Lastly, drizzle some leftover sauce and sprinkle white sesame seeds.
Repeat the same process for the rest of the servings.
How healthy is Teriyaki Tofu Quinoa Power Bowl?
Teriyaki sauce originally is very high in sodium because it is mainly made with soy sauce. However, Tofu is an excellent vegan protein.
Therefore, in this recipe, I combined some veggies to increase fiber. I also added quinoa to include good carbohydrates and increase the protein content of the dish.
All in all, the entire combination makes this dish wholesome and healthy.
FAQs for the bowl
- Teriyaki sauce has a long shelf life. It can be made way ahead of time and refrigerated for about a week in an air tight glass container.
- Marinated and cooked tofu can also be made a day ahead and refrigerated in an air tight container.
- Cooked quinoa can stay in the refrigerator for about a week as well.
Therefore, when ready to eat just saute fresh vegetables. Warm up the refrigerated food items and assemble them in a bowl as explained above. Enjoy!!!!!!
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Teriyaki Tofu Quinoa Power Bowl
For Teriyaki Sauce
- In a nonstick pan combine all the sauce ingredients. Turn on the flame and whisk it continuously until bubbles form and the sauce starts to boil. Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sauce and tofu. Mix it gently with a spoon making it sure that tofu does not break. Let it marinade for 5-7 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, heat oil in another nonstick pan and saute blanched broccoli and red bell pepper. Season it with salt and black pepper. Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
- In the same pan place tofu pieces (Reserve the leftover sauce in the mixing bowl to use it as a dressing). Let it cook until dark brown and nicely cooked. Gently flip the tofu pieces and cook for few seconds again. Now, pour about 1 tbsp of the remaining sauce. Gently mix only one time and turn off the flame quickly. (This gives a nice glaze and flavor to tofu).
- Now, in a serving bowl place cooked quinoa on one side, teriyaki tofu on the other side and sauteed veggies on the leftover side. Drizzle some more teriyaki sauce over the bowl to cover quinoa and veggies nicely. Sprinkle some white sesame seeds on it.
- Repeat the same assembling process for the other two bowls and enjoy.
- Teriyaki sauce can be made ahead of time. Store it in an air tight glass container in the refrigerator for about a week. Then use it as and when required. If using it as dressing just bring it to room temperature.
- Quinoa can also be cooked ahead of time and refrigerated. Just warm it a bit before using.