Spicy Savory Vegan French Toast is a filling morning meal with utmost mouthwatering flavors! It’s a complete healthy meal. Along with being high in protein it has a nice blend of simple spices.
So, therefore, if you are looking for a no-sweet breakfast or brunch this Vegan French Toast comes in very handy. It is quite regular in my house especially when I am on a no-sugar diet due to health reasons.
Ingredients for Spicy Savory Vegan French Toast
Cayenne pepper powder
Dairy free milk
Green bell pepper
Red bell pepper
How to make this Spicy Savory Vegan French Toast
Firstly, I combined all the dry ingredients for the French toast in a mixing bowl. Then, I mixed it well making sure that there are no lumps and all the ingredients blends well into each other.
Secondly, I whisked in water and milk until a thick wet batter is formed. Then, I kept it aside.
Next, I started warming up my skillet on the stove top and greased it with oil.
In the meanwhile, I combined the ingredients of the toppings in a separate mixing bowl and mixed it. Thereafter, I kept it aside.
Once my skillet was warm, I quickly dipped the bread slice into the batter.
Thereafter, I placed it on the skillet.
Afterwards, I topped it with toppings in the skillet itself. Once the bottom of the French toast was cooked, I gently flipped it over to the other side with the help of the spatula.
Subsequently, I pressed it from the center with the spatula towards the skillet to make sure that the toppings are well ingrained in the French toast and does not fall off. Similarly, I followed the same step for the rest of the batter and the bread slices.
Lastly, I served these warm with the side of ketchup or sriracha sauce.
I assure you that once you get the hang of this recipe, you won’t stop at just one.
- It’s better to use few days old bread to add to the firmness in this recipe.
- Just before flipping the bread slice to the toppings side, make sure the flame is at medium heat to avoid over cooking.
- For a crispier texture, simply cook a bit longer (about 4 minutes extra both sides) at low-medium heat flame.
Frequently asked questions:
How long do they last?
These tastes best when served immediately. However, you may make ahead the toppings and the batter and refrigerate for a day or two.
Can I bake them?
Yes, absolutely! I have provided the details in the recipe card under notes. This process also makes it completely oil free.
If I am allergic to almond flour then what can I substitute it for?
Simply, increase chickpea flour to 1 cup and skip almond flour.
Is this vegan French toast recipe a healthy breakfast?
I have tried to include protein and omega 3 in the batter in the form of chickpea flour and almond flour. This also makes the batter gluten free. In addition, I have avoided oil/butter in this recipe to save on some calories. This is absolutely a no sugar recipe so we save on the sugar carb as well. Moreover, I have used sprouted grain bread slices that is the healthiest bread with minimum calories. However, the nutritional fact will vary depending on your choice of bread. So, therefore, I can conclude it to be a healthier option than the traditional style French toast recipes.
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because I love to see what’s cooking in your kitchen.
Spicy Savory Vegan French Toast
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried chopped garlic
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- 6 slices of bread ( regular/whole grain/sprouted grain/GF)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped jalapeno pepper
- In a large mixing bowl combine chickpea flour,
almond flour, nutritional yeast, cumin powder, basil, parsley, oregano, garlic,
and salt. Mix it very well.
- Now, whisk in water and milk and make a smooth,
thick yet runny batter so that the bread slices can hold it.
- Now, warm a skillet on the stove top and grease
it with cooking oil or cooking spray.
- In the meanwhile, mix the ingredients for
toppings in another mixing bowl and keep it aside.
- Now, dip the bread in the batter and place it on
the warm skillet. Top it with 1-2 tbsp of toppings and cook for 3-5 minutes or
until the bottom starts to cook and batter starts to dry up. Gently flip the
bread to the other side with the help of the spatula. Make sure the toppings
are still sticking to the bread. Press the bread from the center with the
spatula towards the skillet so that the toppings are ingrained in the French
toast and they do not fall off. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown in
- Repeat the above step for the rest of the
batter and the bread.
- Serve it immediately hot with ketchup or
sriracha sauce on the side.
- You may use any bread of your choice. However, the nutritional fact may vary depending on the type of bread that you use.
- This recipe makes 6 French toast and the serving size is 1 per person.
- If you are allergic to nuts then skip almond flour and make it with only chickpea flour by changing its measurement to 1 cup.
- For crispier French toast just cook about 4 minutes extra on both sides at low-medium heat. But do not overcook.
- Variation: This recipe can be oven baked. Follow until step 4. Preheat oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit and prepare the sheet pan or any baking sheet of your choice. (Greasing it is absolutely optional depending on your diet choice). Dip the bread into the batter and place the slices on the baking sheet. Pour the remaining batter on the bread slices and top them with the onion salad. Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Take the baking sheet out of the pan and flip the bread slices to the other side with the help of the spatula. Make sure the toppings are sticking to the bread slices. Press them slightly from the center so it cooks well. Put back the baking sheet in the oven and bake it again for 15-20 minutes or until done. Serve immediately.
- I have provided step wise images above in the post for your reference.