These make ahead nutritious Flourless Zucchini Chia Savory Breakfast Muffins are a perfect back to school recipe. Be it a morning meal or an after school snack or a side for lunch box, these muffins tastes great at all times. Its low in calories, vegan, glutenfree and paleo. These muffins are packed with taste and health.
Most of the time I prefer savory breakfast that goes well with my masala chai. Lately, I have been monitoring my diet. Therefore, I have been trying to come up with a nutrient dense savory breakfast. Guess what??? I got it in the first attempt. Hence, I am excited to share my new recipe.
These muffins are super easy to bake. Also you would be happy to know that it’s a make ahead breakfast. Simply bake over the weekend and refrigerate. Just warm the muffins in a toaster over or microwave and enjoy with ketchup. These muffins are kid friendly too. I served Flourless Zucchini Chia Savory Breakfast Muffins to Yashvi as an after school snack. She gave me a thumbs up and savored every bite of these muffins. Of course she had ketchup all over her face and her body by the end of the last bite. Since the summer vacations have stared these muffins serve perfectly well as snacks.
It’s been a while since I have been thinking about a recipe with zucchini. I wanted to come up with savory recipe including zucchini. I was thinking of a recipe that could serve as a healthy breakfast for me. At the same time serves as a snack to Yashvi since she starts her vacation. My mind was racing with ideas. However, kid friendly recipe was on the top of my mind. I wanted Yashvi to enjoy zucchini so I could add another veggie in her diet.
Ingredients for Flourless Zucchini Chia Savory Breakfast Muffins
Zucchini – It contains potassium, manganese and omega -3 fatty acids. Zucchini is a good source of calcium, zinc and some protein. However, B vitamins content in zucchini ensures optimum health.
Chia seeds – It’s a superfood and a great egg replacer. Chia seeds are a good source of protein, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. It also provides the much needed dietary fiber in our diet.
Almond flour – Being gluten free and paleo friendly it’s a great substitute to flour in any baking recipes. Almond flour promotes good heart health with its content of vitamins and minerals.
Lemon pepper spice
Pinch of sugar
Leftover zucchini water
How to make Flourless Zucchini Chia Savory Breakfast Muffins
For this, firstly, I decided to grind zucchini instead of grating it. By grinding zucchini, I made sure that Yashvi does not realize the veggie in her muffins.
Secondly, I strained with the help of cheesecloth as much water as possible from zucchini and saved some water for later use.
Thereafter, in a large mixing bowl I combined almond flour, squeezed zucchini, lemon pepper spice, baking powder, salt and sugar.
Lastly, I folded in soaked chia seeds followed by very little leftover zucchini water. It helped to bring out the flavor of zucchini and also to reach to a certain consistency of the batter.
Afterwards, I scooped the batter on the greased muffin tray and baked them in a preheated oven.
The green color of the muffins and the aromatic lemon pepper spice blended with fresh zucchini was absolutely mouthwatering. These soft and fluffy melt in mouth savory muffins were a complete delight to our taste buds.
Nowadays, I make batches of these Flourless Zucchini Chia Savory Breakfast Muffins and enjoy my morning meals with complete satisfaction.
- It can be refrigerated for 4-5 days. However, before consuming just microwave it for 10 seconds and enjoy.
- Immediately after baking it might be feel slightly moist from inside. That is because of the water content of Zucchini. Let it cool and it will taste absolutely cooked and delicious.
- These are kid friendly and pairs excellently with ketchup.
Flourless Zucchini Chia Savory Breakfast Muffins
- In a food processor add roughly chopped zucchini and grind until slightly fine and watery.
- Place a container and put a strainer on it then cover it with cheesecloth. Take out the ground zucchini in it. Squeeze the cheesecloth as much as possible. Let the water collect in the container for later use.
- Preheat oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit and prepare a muffin tray by greasing it.
- In a large mixing bowl combine almond flour, lemon pepper spice, baking powder and salt and mix well with a spoon.
- Now, add the squeezed zucchini and soaked chia seeds. Mix very well.
- Lastly add zucchini water and fold in with a spoon.
- Now, scoop out the batter into the muffin tray with an ice cream scoop and place the tray in the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
- Take out the muffins and enjoy immediately or at room temperature.
- It’s better to grind zucchini slightly fine so it’s not super chewy. Kids like it this way.
- These muffins are make ahead breakfast recipe. Store it in a refrigerator in an air tight container for a week. Just warm in a toaster oven and enjoy with ketchup.
- When you immediately take out the tray from the oven the muffins might be sticking slightly to the tray. Gently scoop out with a spoon and eventually they will get firmer as they cool down.
- These muffins taste best when served warm. I would recommend testing these muffins first at 40 minutes. If the tester does not come out clean test it again at 45 minutes. Do not bake it over 50 minutes or it will have a burnt taste.
( This post was originally published in 2017 )