This Instant Pot Coconut Rice is absolutely oil free and high in fiber since I made it with brown rice. It pairs well with almost any entree or can be eaten as is. Along with being vegan it is gluten free and has a delicious blend of flavors.
I personally love the taste of fresh coconuts. Being brought up in India, coconut always was a delicacy and was used in many dishes.
You may also want to try my vegan Mexican brown rice for a perfect weeknight one pot dish.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Coconut Rice
How to make Instant Pot Coconut Rice
- Firstly, I combined all the ingredients in the instant pot.
- Secondly, I closed the lid and sealed the valve. Then I plugged in my instant pot.
- Next, I turned it on at high for 25 minutes.
- Once done, I released its pressure and opened the lid.
- Afterwards, I gave it a quick stir so that all the ingredients are well mixed with each other.
- Lastly, I garnished it with cilantro and served it hot.
- It is advisable to defrost frozen coconut for a smoother flavor.
- You may defrost in microwave as well. I have explained it in the notes below.
- Make sure to use lightened coconut milk that comes in a carton or a tetra pack to keep the calories of this recipe in check and make it lighter as well.
Frequently asked questions:
How long does this last?
It tastes best when served immediately. However, the leftovers can be refrigerated for about a month in an air tight container.
Is this coconut rice healthy?
I have made it oil free and have used cartooned coconut milk that is also low in fat and calories. To top it all I used brown rice instead of regular white rice to increase its fiber content. Therefore, this coconut rice is comparatively healthier.
Can I make it on Stove?
Yes, I have mentioned the details in the notes below under recipe card. I have also mentioned another variation to make it fancier and more flavorful.
What can I pair it with?
This coconut rice pairs well with almost any entree. You may also enjoy it as is just like a pulao. However, you may pair it with the following entrees:
Cauliflower Tikka Masala
Vegan Seitan Cilantro Masala
Turmeric Tofu Cashew Curry
Instant Pot Herbed Masala Lentil Curry
Zucchini Pinto Beans Kofta in Spicy Cashew Curry
Vegan Jackfruit Masala Curry
Cauliflower in Kale Coconut Curry
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback n the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Instant Pot Coconut Rice
- Combine all the ingredients in the inner pot of your instant pot and give it a stir.
- Close the lid and seal the valve. Plug in your instant pot and set to manual high for 25 minutes.
- Once done, quick release the pressure and open the lid.
- Stir it nicely with a spatula.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- I have used frozen shredded coconut in this recipe to give it extra punch to its flavors. Fresh grated coconut also does excellent in this recipe. Dried coconut flakes can also be used if frozen or fresh coconut isn’t not available but its taste might differ a bit than the original recipe.
- If you have time you may defrost frozen shredded coconut or simply microwave it for 10 seconds to defrost. Sometimes, I use it directly from the freezer as it gets cooked in the instant pot. You may have to stir a bit more to spread coconut once its cooked.
- For stove top option : Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan. Stockpot or Dutch oven and stir. Let it cook uncovered at medium flame until it starts to bubble. Then bring the flame to low-medium and cook covered until all liquid is absorbed (about 35-40 minutes).
- Variation: Turn on your Instant pot at saute mode and add 2 tbsp sesame oil. Immediately add 1 tsp mustard seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves. Then add ginger, garlic and saute well for 30 seconds. Now saute brown rice for 2-3 minutes or until toasty. Add coconut milk and weather to it. Stir and pressure cook for 25 minutes at high.