This aromatic and yest free Savory Sweet Potato Bread is a perfect home baked bread! Its made with healthy and simple ingredients. Along with being vegan its great for breakfast or snacking at any time of the day.
I love baking fresh breads at home.
The aroma of the fresh baked bread is so appetizing and inviting. It tastes heavenly when eaten straight out of the oven. Nothing can match it and so I always make an effort to bake breads at home most of the time. Even my family craves for home baked healthy breads and we indulge in breads guilt free.
I have been including sweet potatoes in few of my recipes and we love it. Sweet potatoes are the healthy, and fiber rich.
I decided to bake Savory Sweet Potato Bread because the more the bread is versatile the more easily it is relished. This bread is made out of sweet potatoes but has no sweet taste to it and is perfect for sandwiches, or as side with soups, pasta or salad. I prefer mine with a hint of vegan butter on the slice.
Ingredients for Savory Sweet Potato Bread
- Spelt flour – high in fiber and its whole grain. Moreover, it bakes the bread to perfection in this recipe.
- Mashed sweet potato – it gives a texture to this bread.
- Herbs – to add flavors.
- Baking powder + soda + salt – to substitute yeast in this recipe. I made it a quick bread.
- Flaxmeal – to substitute egg and also to give this bread structure.
- Maple syrup – to cut down the bitter taste if any.
- Olive oil – to make a softer dough.
- Water – helps in kneading the bread dough.
- White sesame seeds – to garnish
How to make Savory Sweet Potato Bread
- Firstly, I combined all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and made a dough out of it.
- Secondly, I garnish it with sesame seeds.
- Then, I placed the dough in the bread baking pan and baked in a preheated oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- Later, I turned the pan to the other side and baked it again for 15 minutes for even baking.
- Now, turn off the oven, take it out and enjoy!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for about a week.
- This recipe can be made whole wheat flour by following the same steps and measurements. The constituency of the dough would be lighter as compared to spelt flour dough.
My other sweet potato recipes are:
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below and also rate this recipe. You may tag @kiipfit on Instagram. I love to see what you cook.
Savory Sweet Potato Bread
- Preheat oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit and prepare 9*5 inch bread pan by greasing and dusting it.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients (except water and sesame seeds) and knead very well with hands so that sweet potatoes are well mixed.
- Add water gradually to it for soft dough. (Tortilla like dough). The dough should be soft but not runny. It should stick well and should be firm at the same time. Knead for 3-4 minutes. The more you knead the dough the softer and fluffy the bread would be.
- Now shape the dough as per your baking pan. Don’t press it from above too much. It’s ok to have a small oblong shape as well like artisan breads. Place the dough in the pan.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on its top and bake in the middle rack for 25 minutes. Then turn the pan to the other side for even baking and bake again for another 15 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool for a while. Cut into desired slices and eat with vegan margarine/butter or any topping of your choice.
- This bread is soft from inside and chewy from outside. Taste best with butter.
- Can be refrigerated for a week in an air tight container. Toast it and enjoy.
- The potatoes need to be boiled and peeled first and then mashed by hands or in a processor. The smoother mashed sweet potatoes the better for the bread dough.