Start you day with this High Protein Chai Smoothie (Vegan) to get just the right dosage of caffeine and protein along with lots of deliciousness. It also is a great post workout recovery beverage and is made with all the healthy ingredients.
I often like to make my protein smoothies without protein powder. Hence, I added all the natural superfoods in it.
In order to keep this chai smoothie plant based and nutritious, I sweetened it with dates.
Masala Chai is my favorite and I make it regularly every day. Its a popular Indian hot beverage. With this idea on my mind I blended masala chai into a smoothie.
Therefore, I discovered this vegan chai smoothie infused with spices and other natural ingredients.
What is masala chai?
Masala chai also known as chai is made by brewing black tea (preferably loose tea) in water. Then, it is flavored with with spices and simmered with milk. It is served hot with sugar.
History of chai
Its a popular hot beverage in South Asia. It originated in India. However, producing tea in India was made popular during the British rule when Britishers feared the domination of Chinese tea. It is now worldwide popular. Assam is the largest tea producer where the tea leaves are grown and processed.
I love chai so much that I made chai cookies also so as to get the maximum flavor of my favorite beverage.
Black Loose tea – its easily available in any Indian store and gives a more authentic taste of masala chai to this smoothie recipe. However, you may use black tea bags if loose tea is not available.
Spices – I have used common spices that is used in Indian chai everyday.
Seeds – I used the combination of chia seeds and hempseeds in order to make this chai smoothie high in protein.
Almond milk – oat milk also works in this smoothie.
Dates – I love the combination of dates to enhance the flavor of masala chai. They compliment each other really well. However, you may use banana to sweeten this smoothie if desired.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make
Step 1 – Brew
In this step, I boiled water in a saucepan and stirred in loose tea. I let it brew for few seconds and immediately added cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, black pepper and cloves to it.
Then, I let it brew for about 1-2 minutes on a low flame and turned it off. Next, I strained the chai in a glass with the help of a strainer.
Then, I discarded the leftover tea and spices that was filtered in the strainer and kept the chai aside.
Step 2 – Blend
Firstly, in a blender, I combined almond milk, dates, hempseeds and chia seeds and brewed tea.
Secondly, I blended it until smooth and creamy.
Lastly, I poured it in the serving glasses and enjoyed immediately.
It was refreshing and so delicious and so healthy too.
- Make sure to brew the tea leaves along with the spices for only 1-2 minutes. Do not over cook or else it will taste bitter.
- I recommend using high speed blender so that dates are well blended in the smoothie for the best results.
This taste best when served immediately. If kept for long this chai smoothie will loose its taste and aroma.
Yes, plant based protein powder is fine. Skip the seeds and use 1 scoop of plain unflavored protein powder so that the flavor of chai stays intact.
In India, we drink chai everyday and yes its ok and healthy to drink 1-2 cups of chai everyday. I have added more nutrition to this smoothie and hence it can be enjoyed everyday too.
More vegan protein smoothie recipes
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
High Protein Chai Smoothie (Vegan)
- In a saucepan boil water. At the first boil add black loose tea. Let it brew at medium – high flame for 1 minute.
- Add cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, ginger powder, black pepper and cloves into the saucepan. Let it boil for 30 seconds at medium flame. Turn it off and strain it in a glass. Keep the chai aside.
- In a blender, combine almond milk, dates, chia seeds, hempseeds and strained chai.
- Blend it until smooth and creamy. Pour it in the serving glasses and serve immediately.
- This recipe is not a very strong flavored masala chai. If you like strong flavors of chai then add 4 tsp loose tea instead of 2 tsp loose tea.
- If desired you may substitute the ground spices with whole spices. 1/4 inch cinnamon stick instead of cinnamon powder, 2-3 green cardamom pods instead of cardamom powder, 1 -2 tsp grated fresh ginger instead of ginger powder. These substitutes give a stronger flavor to the chai.
- If substituting the ground spices to whole spices, then as soon as the water boils add black loose tea and all the spices. Let them brew all together for 1-2 minutes at medium-high flame. Then turn it off and strain.
- This chai smoothie tastes best when served immediately. If kept for longer it may lose its taste and aroma.