Soft, chewy and fudgy these roasted Chocolate Cherry Brownies are rich in chocolate flavor and loaded with fresh and juicy cherries. It’s vegan, oil free and a completely irresistible gooey treat.
We love cherries and munch on them all through the season. And who does not love chocolate. So, I thought of combining the two of my favorite flavors and bake them into brownies.
Whoa! Came out soo good that we have been gorging on these cherry brownies for weeks now. Hence, I wanted to share this recipe with you.
Why you will love my fudgy chocolate cherry brownies
It’s made with whole grains and is healthyish
I made it oil free and with fresh cherries
It’s soft and chewy with a strong taste of chocolate
Along with being easy its nut free too.
Health benefits of cherries
Its low in calories and packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. Along with being rich in antioxidants, it’s a great source of potassium, magnesium and calcium. They boost heart health and helps in speedy recovery after exercise.
Ingredients for chocolate cherry brownies recipe
I made these with only 10 ingredients and it’s a lovely dessert for all ages.
Cherries – I used fresh cherries and it worked great. They give a nice color and flavor to these brownies.
Maple syrup – I love to use this to sweeten my recipes.
Oat flour – It is healthy and whole grain with being complex carbohydrate. It makes my cherry chocolate brownies healthy and delicious.
Cocoa powder – I used unsweetened cocoa powder that you may get anywhere.
Chia seeds – this is a great egg replacer along with being high in fiber and protein. It’s a vegan super food with many health benefits.
Oat milk – any dairy free milk works in this recipe but I personally like the flavor of oat milk.
Chocolate chips – I used dairy free mini chocolate chips but you may use any dark chocolate chips of your choice that’s semi sweetened.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Chocolate Cherry Brownies
Step 1: how to prepare cherries
Firstly, I pitted and sliced the cherries and measured up to 2 cups.
Secondly, I combined cherries and 1 tbsp maple syrup in a nonstick pan.
Then, I cooked it at high flame for 3 minutes.
Later, I turned it off and let it cool down. Then, I kept aside 3 tbsp of cooked cherries for later use.
Step 2: how to bake
Firstly, in a large mixing bowl, I combined oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and mix it properly.
Secondly, into the flour mixture, I added soaked chia seeds, maple syrup, oat milk, vanilla extract and melted chocolate. Then, I whipped it nicely into a thick batter.
Next, I folded in cooked cherries along with its liquid and mixed couple of time.
Thereafter, I spooned it out in the prepared baking pan and shaped it with a flat spatula.
Afterwards, I garnished with leftover cooked cherries and more chocolate chips.
Then, I baked it in the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes. It will be slightly undone at this stage. I turned it off and immediately took it out and placed it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Lastly, I took it out of the refrigerator and let it cool down completely.
I sliced it and served. We loved it so much that the entire batch was gone the same day.
Hence, I bake these frequently, and we love it with a scoop of ice cream.
How to store:
Slice them and place them in a single layer in an air tight container. Refrigerate for about 3 weeks. Warm it up in the microwave for 30 seconds before serving.
- While cooking cherries keep stirring at regular intervals. Do not the let cherries wither at this stage and the liquid should not dry up. Hence, it is important to cook only for few minutes. This helps in getting the black forest brownie flavor in this recipe.
- While folding in cooked cherries into the batter make sure to scoop all the liquid into the batter and mix it well but do not over mix.
- When you keep cherries aside for garnishing try to keep only cherries aside and leave all the liquid in the pan to be mixed into the batter.
I used unsweetened natural cocoa powder for this recipe and I like its flavor and works great here.
Make sure to use sharp knife and dip it in the warm water. The quickly wipe it with a paper towel and slice. Repeat this step every time you slice the brownies.
I baked these with fresh cherries and worked great. Tined cherries would not bring the same taste but you may go for frozen cherries. However, make sure to bring the frozen cherries to the room temperature and follow the same steps as explained in this recipe.
My other brownie recipes for you to try:
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Chocolate Cherry Brownies
- 2 cups pitted and sliced fresh cherries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- In a nonstick pan combine cherries and 1 tbsp maple syrup. Turn it on at high and cook for 3 minutes stirring at intervals. Turn it off and let it cool down. (Cherries should not wither and its liquid/syrup should not dry up at this stage so do not overcook). Keep 3 tbsp of cherries (without its syrup) aside in a bowl for garnishing later.
- Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and prepare 8-inch square or rectangle baking pan with a parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Mix it well so there are no lumps.
- Melt ½ cup chocolate chips in the microwave for1 minute at high. Pause and stir. If needed microwave again for 30 seconds. It should be pouring consistency.
- Add melted chocolate chips, soaked chia seeds, maple syrup, oat milk and vanilla extract to the flour mixture and whip it into a batter.
- Fold in cooked cherries along with its liquid/syrup. Mix again couple of times and spoon it out in the prepared baking pan.
- Shape it with a flat spatula and top it with 3 tbsp cooked cherries (we kept it aside in step 1). Then, garnish it with 2 tbsp chocolate chips evenly on its top. Place it in the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 30 minutes. It will be slightly undone at this stage. Turn it off and take it out. Place it immediately in the refrigerator without disturbing for 15 minutes.
- Take it out off the refrigerator and pull out the parchment paper along with the brownies. Let it cool down completely at room temperature at this point. With a clean sharp knife slice and enjoy.
- These can be refrigerated for about 3 weeks in an air tight container in a single layer. Warm it for 30 seconds in the microwave and top it with vanilla ice cream and enjoy.
- While keeping cooked cherries aside for garnishing make sure to only reserve cherries and not its liquid. Leave the liquid/syrup in the pan to be mixed into the batter.
- The thickness of the slices will depend on the size of your baking pan.