Cheesy Lentil Quinoa Vegan Casserole is loaded with protein and packed with lots of cheese. Bedsides everything else, my favorite part of this dish is that it is absolutely oil free.
We are kicking our dinner up a notch with creamy coconut sauce, green lentils, fluffy quinoa and lots of lots of vegan cheese, all in just one dish.
Well, I love cheese so my intentions are mostly to include cheese in as many dishes as possible. Cheese enhances the flavor and the creamy texture of any dish.
Moreover, cheese always makes me want to eat the entire dish happily and heartily.
Recently, while experimenting and remaking few of my dishes I learnt to make oil free recipes.
So, in the process I also came up with the usage of leftover lentil water .
Hence, I used it to saute anything or to add to the thickness of the gravy instead of plain water. That way I add more nutrition and protein to the food and save on few extra calories.
This Cheesy lentil Quinoa Vegan Casserole dish is not only nutritious but it’s a plant power meal. It’s flavorful and can be refrigerated for a week.
So, it’s perfect for meal prep or just hectic weekdays when you don’t get enough time to cook.
Just assemble the ingredients in a baking dish. Later, bake and devour. Or else, bake and refrigerate. Then eat it as and when desire. I prefer the latter, where I just have to warm the food and enjoy my meals.
The only thing left is cleaning up the dishes. But if the meals are already prepared then there’s hardly any dishes in the kitchen and of course no mess at all. That’s …..Happy Me!!!!
How to make Cheesy Lentil Quinoa Vegan Casserole
Firstly, I heated a nonstick saucepan and warm up the coconut milk. Then, I added coconut flour while stirring continuously to avoid any lumps. Subsequently, I added the rest of the coconut sauce ingredients and kept it aside.
Secondly, I started layering all the ingredients in a baking dish. I poured little coconut sauce as the first layer, followed by quinoa and then lentils.
Lastly, I topped it with vegan cheese slices.
Later, I placed the baking dish in a preheated oven and baked for about 35 minutes or until the cheese started to melt.
I am drooling while writing and I think I am about to make another batch of this casserole right away and refrigerate it for the entire week 🙂
Health benefit of lentils
Lentils – Apart from being high in protein it’s also helpful in promoting good health. Lentils promote good heart health improves digestive system, helps in lowering cholesterol and promotes weight loss.
You may also like:
Instant Pot Herbed Masala Lentil Curry
Sriracha Lentil Cheese Sandwich
Lentil Broccoli Breakfast Cutlets
One Pot Jackfruit Quinoa Pilaf
Habanero Parsley Tofu Curry Casserole
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we love to see what you cooked.
Cheesy Lentil Quinoa Vegan Casserole
For the coconut sauce
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (cartoon/tetra pack)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp crushed chili flakes
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup leftover lentil water (see notes)
For the casserole
- 1 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup cooked green/brown lentils (boiled and drained)
- 3 slices of vegan pepper jack cheese/tomato cayenne
- Heat a sauce pan and pour coconut milk. Add coconut flour and stir continuously until no lumps.
- Lower the flame and add nutritional yeast. Stir well until well blended.
- Add oregano, basil, crushed pepper, salt and sugar. Stir well and cook for only 30 seconds or till the first two boils on a low flame.
- Turn off the flame and add lemon juice and leftover lentil water. Stir very nicely and keep it aside. Adjust the salt at this stage if required.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit. Take a rectangular or square baking pan of about 8 inches.
- Pour a thin layer of the cheese sauce (about ¼ cup). Place another layer of 1 cup of quinoa. Then, cover it with a layer of lentil (about 1 cup). Add another layer of ¾ cups of quinoa. Pour all the cheese sauce at this layer and spread the leftover lentil over it. Lastly, cut the cheese slices into halves and gently place them at the top.
- Place the baking dish in the middle rack of the oven and let it bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese melts. ( Its OK if the cheese is not stretchy after baking).
- Take it out of the oven, Garnish with some more lemon pepper and crushed chili flakes. Enjoy!
- While draining lentils save its water in a bowl to use it in the coconut sauce.
- Refrigerate the leftovers for about a week.
- If you don't find vegan pepper jack slices you may use tomato cayenne flavored vegan cheese slices or any cheese of your choice.
Renee Gardner says
I so need more lentils in my life! This looks like a great way to add them.
Totally agree. I hope you enjoy them.
Jodie Morgan says
Oh! I love lentils! This is such a different way to use them and I can’t wait to give it a try!
Kim @ Three Olives Branch says
What a great idea to turn lentils into a casserole. It looks delicious!
Kathryn @ FoodieGirlChicago says
Looks really good – adding this one to my list of tasty vegan recipes!
Thank you Kathryn.
Marisa Franca @ All Our Way says
You’ve convinced me to include more lentils in our menus! I really like lentils but for some unknown reason, I’ve not been making any recipes with them. I’m fascinated by your vegetarian cheese — I’ve never tasted it before. Does it melt as well as milk fat cheese? Your casserole looks delicious.
Thank you Marisa. I hope you enjoy this casserole recipe. The vegan pepper jack cheese does not melt too much and retains it texture but softens quite a bit.
Robert Erman says
Good recipes Cheesy Lentil is delicious so much. I like this. Thanks
Thank you Robert.
Sasha @ Eat Love Eat says
I love lentils and quinoa! This sounds like a lovely, hearty dish 🙂
Ashley @ Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen says
This is SUCH a gorgeous meal! We love incorporating vegan meals into our repertoire at home. YUM!
You had me at cheesy! This so so yummy and healthy too.
My husband would love this dish! We are big lentil fans in our house and am pinning this for later. Thanks for the great recipe!
Thank you Analida.
Abby @ WinsteadWandering says
Anything topped with pepper jack cheese is a winner in my book!
Hahah 🙂 that’s for sure. Its true for me as well.
Gloria @ Homemade & Yummy says
What a great sub for meat in a casserole. Lentils and quinoa are both so nutritious. Even meat lovers should enjoy this hearty dish.
Oh Yes! Everyone would enjoy this casserole recipe.